Mercy Arenas sits with a student in her cramped office on the North Campus of Miami Dade College.
The student, Rose Zephir, 23, a soft-spoken Haitian immigrant, has come for help. Sensing her shyness, Ms. Arenas gently peppers her with questions. "Do...
This content is available exclusively to Chronicle subscribers
Already a subscriber?
Log in now
Get insight into critical issues and the actionable analysis you need with a subscription to The Chronicle of Higher Education
Your subscription includes:
- In-depth articles about current issues faced by universities
- Data and analysis on the latest higher education trends, statistics, and salaries
- Special issues such as The Trends Report, Diversity in Academe, and The Almanac of Higher Education
- Chronicle Focus — comprehensive collections of news, commentary, and advice on the topics that matter on campuses today
- Daily Briefing - a subscriber-only newsletter