Not long ago, Dana L. Knowles received a notice from Sallie Mae, the servicer of her private student loan. Starting in April, the e-mail said, payments on her $26,000 loan would increase by more than $200 a month.
"I can't pay this much," Ms. Knowles...
This content is available exclusively to Chronicle subscribers
Already a subscriber?
Log in now
Get insight into critical issues and the actionable analysis you need with a subscription to The Chronicle of Higher Education
Your subscription includes:
- In-depth articles about current issues faced by universities
- Data and analysis on the latest enrollment trends and statistics
- A searchable database of faculty and staff salaries at more than 4,700 colleges nationwide
- Special issues such as The Trends Report, Diversity in Academe, and The Almanac of Higher Education
- Daily Briefing - a subscriber-only newsletter