In "Geometry," the poet Rita Dove writes about the ecstasy of solving a difficult proof: "I prove a theorem and the house expands:/the windows jerk free to hover near the ceiling,/the ceiling floats away with a sigh." Marcia Birken, a mathematics...
This content is available exclusively to Chronicle subscribers
Already a subscriber?
Log in now
Get insight into critical issues and the actionable analysis you need with a subscription to The Chronicle of Higher Education
Your subscription includes:
- In-depth articles about current issues faced by universities
- Data and analysis on the latest higher education trends, statistics, and salaries
- Special issues such as The Trends Report, Diversity in Academe, and The Almanac of Higher Education
- Chronicle Focus — comprehensive collections of news, commentary, and advice on the topics that matter on campuses today
- Daily Briefing - a subscriber-only newsletter