Investigators Find 'Large Pyrotechnic' in Bombing Suspect's Dorm Room

April 23, 2013

A "large pyrotechnic" and BBs were among the items seized on Sunday from the dormitory room of Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, the 19-year-old suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings who is also a student at the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation also took from Mr. Tsarnaev's room, in the university's Pine Dale Hall, a black jacket and white hat "of the same general appearance" as those worn by a person suspected of a role in the bombings who was seen in photographs and security video footage near the marathon's finish line, according to a criminal complaint filed on Sunday in the U.S. District Court in Boston.

Those images show a young man, believed to be Mr. Tsarnaev, slipping a knapsack off his back and placing it on the ground among race spectators, the complaint says. He walked away without his knapsack, the images show, leaving it on the ground. About 10 seconds later, an explosion occurred at that location, according to the complaint, which charges Mr. Tsarnaev with use of a weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property resulting in death. The two bombs allegedly detonated on April 15 by Mr. Tsarnaev and his brother killed three people and injured more than 170.

The seizure of the jacket and hat, if they are indeed the same items seen in the images near the finish line, would indicate that Mr. Tsarnaev did return to the Dartmouth campus last week. When university officials learned on Friday morning that the lone surviving suspect in the marathon bombings—who was then on the loose and being tracked by law-enforcement officials—was a student at Dartmouth, they began evacuating the campus, starting with Pine Dale Hall. The campus was closed on Friday and Saturday it reopened on Sunday after investigators finished their work.

The complaint provides no further details about the items seized.

Mr. Tsarnaev was in a Boston hospital on Monday, listed in serious condition, after he was found late Friday hiding in a boat in Watertown, Mass., a Boston suburb. He and his brother, Tamerlan, were involved in a shootout early Friday morning with law-enforcement officials. Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed in the gunfight, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev escaped, leading to a daylong manhunt that shut down Boston and some 50 colleges in the region.