In 1841, Solomon Northup, a free black man living in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., fell for a fake job offer from two men who lured him to Washington, D.C., drugged him and beat him unconscious, then sold him into slavery in the South. 12 Years a Slave,...
This content is available exclusively to Chronicle subscribers
Already a subscriber?
Log in now
Get insight into critical issues and the actionable analysis you need with a subscription to The Chronicle of Higher Education
Your subscription includes:
- In-depth articles about current issues faced by universities
- Data and analysis on the latest enrollment trends and statistics
- A searchable database of faculty and staff salaries at more than 4,700 colleges nationwide
- Special issues such as The Trends Report, Diversity in Academe, and The Almanac of Higher Education
- Daily Briefing - a subscriber-only newsletter