A searchable database shows how individual colleges' endowments fared in the fiscal year that ended in June. The figures below, which render endowments in thousands of dollars, come from the National Association of College and University Business Officers and the Commonfund Institute. Read a related article about their annual study of college endowments.
0. Endowment market value data for Canadian institutions are expressed in U.S. dollars, based on the U.S./Canadian dollar conversion rates in effect on or around June 30, 2014 (for FY2014) and June 30, 2013 (for FY2013), as reported by the Bank of Canada Web site (http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/exchform.html). Data from Canadian institutions is NOT included in the full 2014 NCSE report.
1. Total includes endowment assets from The Texas A&M University System and multiple supporting foundations, including Texas A&M Foundation. The full 2014 NCSE report incorporatees separate information for Texas A&M University System and Texas A&M Foundation.
2. Fiscal year end is August 31 but reporting endowment market values for June 30.
3. Total includes endowment assets from the University of Minnesota and the University of Minnesota Foundation. The full 2014 NCSE report incorporates separate information for each of these individual institutions.
4. Total includes endowment assets from the University of Illinois and the University of Illinois Foundation. The full 2014 NCSE report incorporates separate information for each of these individual institutions.
5. Total includes endowment assets from Indiana University, Indiana University Foundation, and Riley Children’s Foundation.
6. The total includes the combined endowment assets of Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and a portion of assets held by the Dietrich Foundation reflecting CMU’s allocation as a named beneficiary. The full 2014 NCSE report reflects information for the CMU endowment only.
7. Total endowment includes data from all institutions in the LSU System. However, the full 2014 NCSE report is based on data solely from the LSU Foundation, the largest segment.
8. Total includes endowment assets from the University System of New Hampshire and the University of New Hampshire Foundation. The full 2014 NCSE report incorporates separate information for each of these individual institutions.
9. Total includes endowment assets from the Oregon Health and Sciences University Foundation and the Doernbecher Children’s Hospital Foundation.
10. Total includes assets from the Western Michigan Foundation and Paper Technology Foundation.
11. All amounts are for fiscal year end of May 31.
12. Fiscal year end is May 31 but reporting endowment values for June 30.
13. Total includes endowment assets from the University, the Educational Foundation, the Athletic Foundation, and the Real Estate Foundation.
14. Data do NOT include endowment assets from the Law School Foundation.
15. Total endowment includes assets from Appalachian State University and Appalachian State University Foundation. All other sections of the full 2014 NCSE report include information for Appalachian State University Foundation only except as otherwise noted.
16. Total includes endowment assets from Indiana University of Pennsylvania and the Indiana University of Pennsylvania Foundation. The full 2014 NCSE report incorporates separate information for each of these individual institutions.
17. Totals include endowment assets from the Bridgewater Alumni Association
18. Endowment for Coastal Carolina University.
19. Foundation for the Northwest Missouri State University.
About These Data
For most institutions, the endowment values listed on this table are based on the fiscal years ending June 30, 2014 (for the 2014 fiscal year), and June 30, 2013 (for the 2013 fiscal year).
N/A means not available.
The change in market value does not represent the rate of return for the institution’s investments. Rather, the change in the market value of an endowment from FY 2013 to FY 2014 reflects the net impact of withdrawals to fund institutional operations and capital expenses, the payment of endowment management and investment fees, additions from donor gifts and other contributions, and investment gains or losses.
This table was prepared in January 2015. Changes to endowment values reported after January may not be reflected in the full 2014 NCSE report.
Corrections (1/29/2015, 3:03 p.m.): This table originally misstated George Washington University's location. It is in the District of Columbia, not Virginia. The table also erroneously listed the University of Puerto Rico at Bayamon in place of the University of Scranton. And the table should have made clearer that the endowment values were rendered in thousands of dollars. The table has been updated to reflect those corrections.