His cellphone buzzes, one of 11 calls he will field over the next few hours, as sportswriters around the country look to make sense of the latest NCAA fiasco.
"Five-oh-two," he says, staring at his phone screen. "Where's 502?"
If you aren't in Gene...
This content is available exclusively to Chronicle subscribers
Already a subscriber?
Log in now
Get insight into critical issues and the actionable analysis you need with a subscription to The Chronicle of Higher Education
Your subscription includes:
- In-depth articles about current issues faced by universities
- Data and analysis on the latest higher education trends, statistics, and salaries
- Special issues such as The Trends Report, Diversity in Academe, and The Almanac of Higher Education
- Chronicle Focus — comprehensive collections of news, commentary, and advice on the topics that matter on campuses today
- Daily Briefing - a subscriber-only newsletter