Tim Foley for the Chronicle Review
At the beginning of Henry James's 1881 masterpiece The Portrait of a Lady, James describes his heroine's beauty as so rarefied that the hoi polloi would miss it. "Nineteen persons out of twenty," James writes...
This content is available exclusively to Chronicle subscribers
Already a subscriber?
Log in now
Get insight into critical issues and the actionable analysis you need with a subscription to The Chronicle of Higher Education
Your subscription includes:
- In-depth articles about current issues faced by universities
- Data and analysis on the latest enrollment trends and statistics
- A searchable database of faculty and staff salaries at more than 4,700 colleges nationwide
- Special issues such as The Trends Report, Diversity in Academe, and The Almanac of Higher Education
- Daily Briefing - a subscriber-only newsletter