Remembering the Fire of 1914

rise from 
the ashes

Wellesley College Archives

College Hall 
opened in 1875 
and originally housed all of Wellesley College under one roof.
March 10, 2014 Premium content for subscribers. Subscribe Today

Around 4:30 a.m. on the morning of March 17, 1914, smoke awakened the two students who lived in Room 440 of Wellesley College’s main building, College Hall. They could see flames reflected in the glass of the transom over their door—flames from...

This content is available exclusively to Chronicle subscribers