Updated (9:25 p.m., 8/15/2017) with additional detail.
Charlotte School of Law, a troubled for-profit law school in North Carolina, will close its doors for good ahead of the fall semester, according to several reports.
Lee Robertson Jr., president of the institution’s alumni group, said in an e-mail sent on Tuesday morning to the group’s members that he had spoken to the interim dean, Paul Meggett, and that it seemed there was no path forward. Students, he added, would be informed on Tuesday.
President of Charlotte Law School Alumni group sent email to members this AM saying the law school is closing ‘effective immediately’ pic.twitter.com/ZOcAit2sbo
— Nick Ochsner (@NickOchsnerWBTV) August 15, 2017
The institution was denied access to federal financial aid last December, and lost its license to operate in North Carolina last week after it failed to regain access to those federal funds by the state-imposed deadline of August 10. It was dealt another blow when the American Bar Association rejected its teach-out plan, which would have allowed students to complete their program of study.
North Carolina’s attorney general, Josh Stein, reiterated on Tuesday that the school was no longer licensed to operate in the state and ordered it to close, The Charlotte Observer reported. “If it won’t,” Mr. Stein said, “the attorney general will take action to ensure it complies.”
— Clare McCann (@claremccann) August 15, 2017
Until recently, it seemed that the law school would be given new life in the Trump administration as speculation swirled about the possible return of federal funds. An Education Department spokesman told The Charlotte Observer in July that talks with the institution were “ongoing” but that the school would not receive access to funds until a deal was struck.Return to Top