• March 24, 2017
March 24, 2017, 8:04:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 1995
  Print  
Author Topic: "favorite" student e-mails  (Read 6325390 times)
atalanta

« on: October 13, 2006, 2:31:23 pm »

Here's my favorite so far this term (although there are so many, it's hard to choose!).

Received at the start of the third week of classes:

"hi, this is ___and I'm in your ___ class but have been golfing in [sunny vacation destination] for the past couple weeks so i have missed the first few classes. just wondering if there is anything important that i have missed ... please let me know what i should do."

!! This type of message used to p*** me off! Now, my new tactic is to save them in a special folder to share with colleagues later. So my first reaction to this message was one of glee ("I can't wait to show this one to Prof. CornerOffice!") instead of anger and frustration ("must.. control... fists!"). It's so much better for my stress level.

Do you have any "favorites" to share?

the thing that against me is "time", tell me something I could beat time?
fishbrains
I've been called a [member], but never a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 2:49:52 pm »

Here's one I received from an internet student the day AFTER an essay was due:

"i lost totally can u send help"

Not even advanced enough to begin the email with "Hey."

KATURIAN: This feels like school, somehow.
TUPOLSKI: Mm. Except at school they didn't execute you at the end . . . Unless you went to a really f*cking tough school.

~Martin McDonagh's The Pillowman
atalanta

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 2:53:58 pm »

Not even advanced enough to begin the email with "Hey."

... or my other favorite opener: "umm.."

the thing that against me is "time", tell me something I could beat time?
amlithist

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 3:05:26 pm »

Or the general purpose, "Yo [my last name]--what up with ". . .

Every person you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.  Be kind, always.
anon99

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 5:47:48 pm »

This wasn't an email, but a request directly from a student.  They wanted to know if I could start my afternoon class half an hour earlier.
dagny

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 9:21:40 pm »

I received an e-mail just today from a student that read: "I just did not expect the first test to be that hard. I did not even buy the book, so I hadn't read the chapters. I guess I am just trying to explain why I have gotten off on the wrong foot."

Where....to...begin......
dogstar

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 9:56:15 pm »

In response to a small glitch with an online quiz (at 8 AM on a Friday morning):

"I had to leave an open keg for this!"
al_bundy

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 2:54:49 pm »

"Ok, I understand what you mean.  It just said during the assignment that you had to find a value that did this.  Only no one value can reach all of these except infinity or a variable variant.  Even at two equals L few values do not include the full delta no matter what.  In other words, It seems that no matter the value there cannot be a solution because Delta varies.  I was going to try 2 Delta as an answer, but that wasn't a constant for e and I wasn't sure if it would work for this kind of problem."

If you can understand what he's talking about, please let me know.

"variable variant"... Bwahahahaha!!!
acrimone
The Red Queen's Court Assassin

I am not a professor at all, despite what I say.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 10:02:29 pm »

The most pathetic email I ever received:

Professor Garcia,

Can I please get some extra credit in light of the last test which didnt go so well?  I know I'm not doing as well as I could but I really love your class and think you're a great teacher and I just think I deserve the chance to do as well as I know I can.  Please please please let me know what sort of assignment I can do.

My reply:

Dear Josephine,

No.  If you could have done better, you should have.

Sincerely yours,

Professor Garcia

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
yatchie

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 10:09:03 pm »

My favorite so far...

I do not like math much at all.... I am a liberal arts type of person. ;)  But I have been a 4.0 student all my life, and I want to contiue that way through college.  What I want to know is, what do I ahve to  do to get a "A"  or "B" in your class?

umm... study, do your homework, and read the directions?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 10:10:42 pm by yatchie » Logged
ritar

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 11:38:57 pm »

From this semester:
Subject: Proof this paper before you grade it please! Thanks!
I attached a Word file and fill free to make your corrections in the Word document and save it and attach it to an email back to me.

Sure, kid. I'll "fill free" to rewrite your paper for you, then send it back to you before you turn it in to me to grade.

trentsands

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 1:44:20 pm »

My favorite so far...

I do not like math much at all.... I am a liberal arts type of person. ;)  But I have been a 4.0 student all my life, and I want to contiue that way through college.  What I want to know is, what do I ahve to  do to get a "A"  or "B" in your class?

umm... study, do your homework, and read the directions?

Know enough about mathematics to recognize that a "B" won't allow you to maintain a 4.0 gpa.

"In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo."
-- T.S. Eliot
senacole

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 1:53:33 pm »

"About the midterm, I havent read the last couple of books, can I just read your notes and be o k?"
zenprof

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 2:00:44 pm »

This one came the week before classes stared in August:

Dear Professor Zenprof,
You don't know me, but I am registered for your [advanced undergrad] course. But my family will still be on vacation for the first two weeks of classes, so all my professors are sending me the lecture notes and assignments so I won't be behind when I get there after vacation. PLease fedex them to [address]. Sincerely,
Amanda [Lastname]

When I replied that no, I would not do that, that the experience of in class work, discussion, and listening was vital and she would get zeroes for assignments missed during that time, she wrote back:
[note lack of salutation & comma problems]

Well, I think this is really unfair, because, after all I will be cutting into my vacation time, to do the extra work of your class, out here in Mexico, when I would rather be enoying myself. I am considering dropping your class because of this.
Amanda
---------

I could almost *see* the petulant head-toss with that last sentence. !!  The real surprise for me was that she did show up the 2nd week of class, is actually doing ok, and is not all that jerky or bad.
z
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 2:01:37 pm by zenprof » Logged
smart_e_pantz
Yes, We Did!

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 2:19:50 pm »

This one came the week before classes stared in August:

Dear Professor Zenprof,
You don't know me, but I am registered for your [advanced undergrad] course. But my family will still be on vacation for the first two weeks of classes, so all my professors are sending me the lecture notes and assignments so I won't be behind when I get there after vacation. PLease fedex them to [address]. Sincerely,
Amanda [Lastname]

When I replied that no, I would not do that, that the experience of in class work, discussion, and listening was vital and she would get zeroes for assignments missed during that time, she wrote back:
[note lack of salutation & comma problems]

Well, I think this is really unfair, because, after all I will be cutting into my vacation time, to do the extra work of your class, out here in Mexico, when I would rather be enoying myself. I am considering dropping your class because of this.
Amanda
---------

I could almost *see* the petulant head-toss with that last sentence. !!  The real surprise for me was that she did show up the 2nd week of class, is actually doing ok, and is not all that jerky or bad.
z

But Miss Amanda is going to trash the hell out of your evaluations at the end of the semester!

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer. "  Barack Obama (November 4, 2008)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 1995
  Print  

Jump to: