• February 24, 2017
February 24, 2017, 6:35:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 210
  Print  
Author Topic: Posting Hall of Fame  (Read 691365 times)
copper
Ice Road Truckin'
Distinguished Senior Member

Suckin' it up like Buttercup.

« Reply #2790 on: January 24, 2013, 9:10:11 pm »

Every visit is a chance to learn.  Every learning is a chance to visit.  To learn, visit.  To visit, learn.

"The most exciting things in life require more courage than we currently have." -- Jack McPhee, or whoever wrote the 4th season of Dawson's.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #2791 on: January 25, 2013, 4:56:45 pm »

Got a real doozy of TMI today.  Warning:  graphic.

Nontraditional Snow Flake:  Dr. Biomancer, I'm sorry I wasn't in class on Wednesday.  I had to go see my doctor.

Me:  It's OK - I'd prefer students go get treated and not spread illness than come to school sick - especially during flu season.

NSF:  Oh, no, it's not anything contagious.  I have diaper rash, really bad.

Me:  <speechless and trying to maintain a poker face>

NSF:  It was so bad I couldn't sit down.  I have an incontinence problem and adult diapers really don't help with the moisture problem.  My doctor gave me some kind of cream and it's helping.

Me:  Uh... OK... thank you.  I hope you're feeling better now.  <exits stage left>

OMG. I think that takes the cake.

Oh, I don't know.  I think it kind of Depends.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
atalanta

« Reply #2792 on: January 27, 2013, 1:12:37 am »

From the "Things you'd like to tell your 20-year-old self" thread

Time is finite.  If you choose any one big project in your life, it will crowd out other things you value.  You can't do it all.  Realize that and choose. If you run on automatic pilot, the decisions will be made for you.

You will never learn or retain later as much as you can now.  What you learn when you are young is the solid bedrock foundation for your knowledge and competence later.  The learning you do when you are young is money in the bank.

Learning music and language are not primarily cognitive skills.  They are primarily athletic skills.  You have to practice, you have to work out.  Even when you have learned it, practice to retain the skills.  Practice to be physically fit in anything that requires a physical response.

Talent is just intense interest and hard work.  The tortoise will pass up the hare.

Pay attention to minimal cues, those very tiny almost unnoticeable warning signs.  Don't discount them. When your gut whispers, "Something is wrong," something is wrong.

Yes you want to stay.  You don't want to change.  Yes, you don't want to end something you have made a commitment to.  Yes, there will be other people who will be hurt.  Leave anyway.  Get out now.  

Some things can't be fixed.  Sometimes you can't go home again.

Being polite and friendly to people you don't like or don't respect is not hypocrisy.  It is part of being the good person you want to be.  That is how good people behave.  Thinking you are a good person and selectively behaving badly is the real hypocrisy.

Anger will destroy you.  Learn to let it go.

Get out this time too.  Now.

Don't leave yourself exposed.  Be prepared to protect yourself.  

You are 20-years-old.  Start saving for retirement.  Right now.  Keep it in your own name.  OK, Ok, NO. Leave it in the retirement fund.  It will grow exponentially, and there really will be a time you are old and don't feel good enough to keep working.  You will need the money much more then.

And some advice from some other forumites that really meant a lot to me:  If you made a profit you didn't lose money.  And, pigs get slaughtered.    

the thing that against me is "time", tell me something I could beat time?
copper
Ice Road Truckin'

Suckin' it up like Buttercup.

« Reply #2793 on: January 28, 2013, 10:22:06 pm »

Good grief;  I loathe so many of the recommendations on this thread that I'm just going to bite my lip and not say anything bad.  Ouch.  Ouch.  Damn, ouch.

Admit it, my friend, every thread is like that for you.
Well, usually I don't bite my lip. - DvF

"The most exciting things in life require more courage than we currently have." -- Jack McPhee, or whoever wrote the 4th season of Dawson's.
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #2794 on: January 28, 2013, 11:12:13 pm »

To think, when I started this thread, I thought it was just a boring old question.

I strive with a mission to proliferate superiority knowledge
ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #2795 on: January 29, 2013, 8:01:57 am »

“This splendid annotated bibliography will prove an indispensable research tool for all scholars of Ellul’s wide-ranging works.  It is comprehensive in its scope, and the chronological order that is the main principle of organization is especially valuable for showing the historical development of the critical assessment of Ellul’s work, making the various strands of critical trends apparent.

This is much better than alphabetical order, which totally ruins any ability to discern critical trends.

The copy editing has been meticulously carried out throughout the volume, and the English translations of the French titles enhance the usefulness of this outstanding bibliography.

It would be even more useful if translated into German Pig Latin.

[...]I do have one suggestion to make regarding the Introduction.  It is excellent in every respect as far as it goes, but I believe that scholars would like to see an identification and description of the major critical strands and trends that the author perceived in the body of secondary writings while compiling the bibliography, including brief lists (within the description) of the most important examples of each strand.  It would give scholars a quick overview of what has been done already and perhaps a clearer understanding of what still needs to be done.

This would be especially for researchers who don't like chronological annotated bibliographies.

But this is just a suggestion—not in any way intended to detract from the magnificence of the work, which I predict will have a very long shelf life indeed.”

Really, how much do you pay?

chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Make life take the lemons back!

« Reply #2796 on: January 29, 2013, 10:12:25 pm »

Darth Vader is a bastard.

Technically, he is.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #2797 on: February 01, 2013, 11:28:35 am »

I'm not fond of labels, but agree that one has to take context into account. My beef with WASP was always its misapplication to anyone who was white. I'm a Celt. Calling a Celt an Anglo-Saxon... well, allow me to quote from Afallenau:

And I will prophesy before the owner of Machrau:
in Machafwy Vale on a Wednesday of blood,
rejoicing to Lloegr, exceeding red blades.
Oia, little pig! Thursday will come,
rejoicing to the Welsh, exceeding great battles,
swift swords defending Cyminod,
slaughter of Saxons on ashen spears
and playing ball with their heads.

So don't go calling me a WASP, if you value your head!

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
ptarmigan
grad student & chief dork dumpling

« Reply #2798 on: February 01, 2013, 4:12:40 pm »

Hey all - as a physicist very much interested in the state of physics education, I figured I'd throw in my two cents since the original article was about a well known (and researched) instructional strategy in physics (SCALE-UP).

First, just a quick background on where things like SCALE-UP came from and the motivation for why we're doing such crazy things to our beloved classes. In the 1980s, physicists developed rigorous tools to assess how well students had learned foundational concepts of physics (eg. the concept of force, Newton's Laws, etc.)[1]. Unfortunately, these showed that the typical lecture-based intro physics classes were not effective in teaching concepts on which the rest of the physics curriculum relied. What's worse, it didn't seem to matter how experienced the lecturer was or how glowing their student reviews were, they just weren't effective in teaching physics concepts. By the 1990s researchers had quantified a strong correlation between courses that used "interactive engagement" (eg. flipped classrooms), and markedly increased conceptual learning gains [2]. These conceptual learning gains were later shown to go hand in hand with more traditional measures like quantitative problem solving skills [3]. In the last few decades, much more data has been added to these correlations as researchers are now concentrating on what aspects of flipped classrooms help foster student learning.

One idea in this thread that hasn't been thoroughly challenged is the notion that interactive teaching strategies are somehow dumbing down the content,
It seems to me that there is a fundamental difference between proponents of the flipped classroom and the perspective being voiced by frogfactory:  the former prioritizes the greatest amount of learning from the largest number of students, while the latter prioritizes producing a small number of very prepared, graduate-school ready students.  One teaches to the average, one is aimed at the top students. 

or,
I think maybe what you are saying, Frog, is that inverted classrooms force less-prepared and less-motivated students to learn the way that better students learn (reading outside of class, applying rather than memorizing, etc.)--but that without the additional lecture component that is aimed outside the current knowledge level of the students, this model doesn't also push the top students who are already doing what the flipped classrooms require from the students.  In other words, it is a boon for the underprepared and slack, but it leaves the highly-prepared where they already were.

Is that right?

More or less, but I don't disregard the value of lab and discussion and symposia blah blah blah, the way that some posters disregard the value of lecture.

This is why I say that, yes, if you're teaching the students you have, rather than the ones that ought to be in your class, flipping and abandoning lecture may well give you better outcomes.  It doesn't mean that it's not a damned shame for the better students that they don't get real lecture.

It is emphatically not the case that these sort of flipped classrooms are teaching to the mediocre and leaving the top students bored, unstimulated, or where they would have been on their own. Research (eg. [2] and [4]) has shown little correlation between normalized learning gains in flipped classrooms vs. how well-prepared the students were initially. The same gains are seen in high schools, community colleges, liberal arts colleges, and universities. In all cases, there is marked increase in conceptual learning when students actively engage with the material. If you look at initial student knowledge within a single class, similar conceptual learning gains occur over the whole class. It seems that highly motivated students (who were "doing this all along") still come out of the typical flipped classroom learning more than they would have in a typical lecture-based class. Many institutions such as Harvard, MIT, McGill, Carleton, Berkeley, Cornell, UVA, Colorado, etc. have adopted SCALE-UP or similar methods in their intro physics classes.

Finally, as others have mentioned, lecturing is not entirely absent from modern physics classrooms. It has its purpose, mainly for things like organization, guidance, and review - not to teach concepts or transfer knowledge to students. It is just an empirical fact that physics lectures do not transfer knowledge as effectively as a variety of interactive teaching methods. Only the students can do the learning, and its up to us to figure out the best environment for them to do so.

Refs:
[1] http://modeling.asu.edu/R&E/InitialKnowledge.pdf
[2] http://web.mit.edu/rsi/www/2005/misc/minipaper/papers/Hake.pdf
[3] http://web.mit.edu/jbelcher/www/TEALref/Crouch_Mazur.pdf
[4] http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.1514215

He's on my roster, but if I've taught him anything, it isn't math.
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #2799 on: February 11, 2013, 3:58:36 pm »

Friends, I am throwing my hat mitre in the ring! Though I am neither Catholic nor gay, I am ready to step into Benedict's buttery-soft Prada shoes. Catholics of the world, get ready to party!

So--how does one run for Pope anyhow?

Just so you know, we're going to be very snarky and unhelpful when you start posting "haven't heard from the Curia in six hours, should I e-mail them?" threads. That said, AFTDJ.

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
tigerseye

Formerly Seventhyear (and before that Sixthyear)

« Reply #2800 on: February 12, 2013, 8:39:19 am »

It's not a "vision" if you're the only one who can see it. What you have is called a delusion.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #2801 on: February 13, 2013, 1:37:58 pm »

<unrelated, but I do like the foxroyalty idea for Vox>

I am continually amazed that people who insist that language matters and that the cumulative effect of choosing gendered language for a generic person is huge do not recognize the same effect of their "conscious raising" through constant reminders of possible historical and institutional discrimination.

I am not amazed that those same people evidently don't know about the multiple studies showing the measurable effect of being forced to identify with a group that is stereotyped as performing poorly in an area just before taking a standardized test or performing a task in those areas.

Why am I continually pissed off about the women and minorities studies "activists"?  It's because I know these things and have to watch those "activists" make my life harder as I try to recruit people to areas where many groups are still underrepresented while remediating skills for those who were unlucky in pre-college life, often for years.

Questions for the readers:

1) What is the cumulative effect of hearing that educated adults who most resemble you physically aren't competent to tutor middle school and high school math, or even elementary school math in some cases?

2) What is the cumulative effect of always having to check boxes to self identify as belonging to a historically underrepresented group at key junctures like taking the SAT/ACT, applying to college, taking the GRE, applying to graduate school, and applying to faculty jobs?

3) What is the cumulative effect of being bombarded with messages about how people who resemble you physically tend to not do well in your area, especially combined with a low point in your studies when you struggle? 

4) How does not getting a similar number of messages of "it's hard for everyone at some point, but years of practice pay off eventually" while young affect decisions that people make when the going gets tough?

Yeah, ding me again for being frustrated with people who claim to want equality, but don't know the science behind the issues and seem to be actively working against what they claim to want.

Polly, the people studying the "sterotype threat" which is what you are citing are, umm, social scientists many of whom are studying this topic exactly because they are feminists and/or committed to increasing racial diversity and are wondering the kind of impacts you seem to have just discovered. The people requiring checkboxes are usually your (often overwhelmingly white male) bureaucrats. There is a good case to be made  for collecting such data but, yes, there might be good arguments for collecting it in a different manner if at all because of some of the issues you raise.

It would be helpful, though, if you are open to suggestions if you stop using euphemizing which helps you not think about issues--"physically resemble, fuzzy lollipops" whatever. It's called race, gender and also class and these categories --while fuzzy at the boundaries-- have been historically (drastically) currently (somewhat more mildy but still strongly) associated with different opportunity structures. Euphemizing is what people do when they want to hide the true nature of things.

If your argument is that we need to spend more effort at changing that opportunity structure in a different manner (better remedial classes for disadvantaged kids who tend to be disporportionately minorities <see above for reason>), umm, yeah, your allies in that will, umm, be feminists and social scientists committed to racial justice. (And you are so, so wrong that this hasn't occured to other feminists or social scientists--the problem tends to be that is route expensive and bureacrats and administrators would rather do showy, CYA things then spend money). So you got the wrong target.

The rest is the usual boring attack on strawwomen so that's for you and the chip on your shoulder--wherever that is coming from. Good luck with that.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #2802 on: February 15, 2013, 2:30:14 am »

I'm probably a weird outlier. I took a job at a flagship R1 school. Great salary, great start up, moving costs covered. Three weeks later the university cut the entire department ("budget") and told me I could come for a year and then, who knows? I got another job (which was originally my last choice job). Not very good salary, no start up, tiny bit of moving money, a state most people list on the "will not move there" thread. I said hasta la vista to department cutting folks. It turns out I could not love my job, my students, or my colleagues more. I made amazing friends the first year I moved here. People would expect me to be on the job market, and friends have sent me tempting job postings. Still, I can't imagine leaving and I don't apply. In the end, I couldn't have known what was the right job for me and I got lucky to stumble into it.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
citrine

Beware the Annoying Bad Luck Snail

« Reply #2803 on: February 15, 2013, 12:22:19 pm »

I educate higher ed international students and as ESL learners they could use a digital space to communicate and write to become more comfortable with English in an informal setting. I am using this site to learn from educators such as you and the madhatter but this may not be the right forum considering many of the posts are about TV episodes and students behaving badly-right?

Well, I'm not sure this is the right online space for what you want given that our posting rules mandate correct and proper use of the English language -- standard capitalization, punctuation, grammar, spelling, etc. We may discuss TV shows, but we damn well do it with serial commas.

(Or not. We argue about the serial comma sometimes. Those are fun times.)

VP

On the other hand, I love Comma Cereal.  A bowl of Comma Cereal, with low-fat milk, is an important part of any well-balanced breakfast.  Having two bowls, one on each side, will make the breakfast even better balanced, as long as you put the glass of orange juice right in the middle.

And it has a lot of fiber to maintain colon health.

On the other hand, Comma Cereal in your colon may result in you developing a semi-colon - a condition that few people today know how to deal with properly.

That rarely happens unless you eat more than two bowls daily, which can indeed bring your peristalsis to a full stop.

lohai0

« Reply #2804 on: February 16, 2013, 2:15:48 am »

Well, it's Friday afternoon. I think we're not going to get our exciting conclusion until Monday.
Sigh. Must try to console myself until then with, oh, yawn, great literature and film, you know, with their lesser tales of clever heroism. I suspect that if it wasn't immediately resolved, Things Are Happnin' and Jakes are on the run.
ptarmigan, let us know!

Do you mean there could be....Jakes on a plane?!

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 210
  Print  

Jump to: