• March 29, 2017
March 29, 2017, 7:14:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Rejection Letter Genres?  (Read 275102 times)
joey_fan

« on: March 08, 2007, 1:07:22 pm »

I'm devising a taxonomy of rejection letter genres. So far (from my experience), I've come up with these categories:

• Postcard or Mass Email - "Your application to Snooty U. is no longer active."
  • It's Not You, It's Us - "You really truly are special and a unique and valued human being, but we really had an astounding array of highly qualified applicants and..."
  • You All Suck - "We had a kazillion applicants. None were suitable. We closed the search."
  • Baby Announcement - "We don't want you. But let us tell you all about the Chosen Person..."
  • Weirdness - "We had a bajillion applicants. None were suitable. But you were great. Re-apply next year."
  • Dear John (Jane) Break-Up Letter (after campus visit): "It was great getting to know you better and let's stay friends..." (followed by handwritten note by the SCC)

Any others?
trabb
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 1:14:55 pm »

Here are two from my experience:

• The Black Hole Rejection - apparently the sheer density of Important Academic Minds all located in such a small area prevents rejections ever from leaving the desk of the search committee chair
  • Don't Shoot the Messenger - "The search committee has asked me to inform you that you are no longer under consideration."
inquiring_mind

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 1:16:47 pm »

The pleasure is ours: We want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to review your incredibly interesting materials that you put together to apply to our job, which we won't be considering you for anymore.
draco

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 11:28:25 am »

• Postcard or Mass Email - "Your application to Snooty U. is no longer active."

Sub-genre:  Mass Email w/out blind addresses - At least you get partners in misery.
sixstrings

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 12:26:52 pm »

Science Fiction: "We hope you will consider applying to StateU in the future."
goldenapple

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 12:40:15 pm »

• Switcheroo Our search committee has now reviewed all applications for the advertised position specializing in An Area of Specialization Never Mentioned in the Job Posting at Orbiting in Space University. Unfortunately, your specialization  does not match our position requirements.

(Seriously, I got one of these and did a double take. "What, I applied for a position specializing in lunar geology? I don't do lunar geology. Did I send an application to the wrong department? Did I misread the ad? Went back, re-read the ad. Didn't mention lunar geology at all.)
undisciplined
Shoes Always Matter to a

Okay then.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 12:41:18 pm »

No Social Skills: "The SC has formulated its short list and I am sorry to report that you are not on it." (verbatim quote)

I recommend bourbon and bonbons for that.
postmodern

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 12:41:49 pm »

I don't have any to add, but this posting is sure funny.
london1
Singin' Songs of the 70s in my Car, I'm Still a

Take it to the limit one more time.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 1:18:16 pm »

Ooops!  There's no $ for this Position - We know we put you (and others) through phone interviews, campus interviews, checked all your references, but now it appears that we do not have the $ for this position after-all.  We welcome you to apply again next year.[/list]
    « Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 1:19:07 pm by london1 » Logged

"Years ago my mother used to say...in this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.  Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant...."
       - Elwood P. Dowd
    onlyanne

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 1:38:20 pm »

We're so screwed up we're canceling the search this year but we're keeping your stuff on file in case you're desperate enough next year
    vandoesborgh
    Not a Northerner, Not a Southerner: a Western

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 2:31:03 pm »

My favorite is: The we didn't even bother to look at your materials and obviously don't care who you are letter: Its variants include letters addressed to me as Dear Ms. avdunkle, Dear Mr. avdobreg, Dear Dr. A. Smith

By the way, do any of you keep all of your rejection letters?  When I finally land a job I want to have it as a trophy of my hard work.  But I think it will come in handy when I get on a SC and create the ultimate rejection letter that will defy any genre!  I'll trademark it and make millions on the royalties.

"Arne's Quick and Dirty Rejection Letters for the Academically Minded"

According to this forum, I'm from an undesirable state.
    dark_globe

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 2:34:49 pm »

Insult on top of Injury: "When you filed your application, you neglected to fill out the affirmative action questionaire. Please fill out the enclosed card and return it so we may enter the data into our records."

"The Crash Street Kids are coming to get you." Ian Hunter
    smurfette

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 2:38:10 pm »

Great thread!
    not_a_gradstudent1

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 3:04:33 pm »

• Weirdness - "We had a bajillion applicants. None were suitable. But you were great. Re-apply next year."

I got a variation on this theme recently - here's a paraphrase:
    "Thank you for sending us your very impressive application. We received many impressive applications from many qualified individuals. Upon closer inspection, however, our needs did not match anyone's qualifications. We did not hire at this time."
    onlyanne

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 3:20:53 pm »

By the way, do any of you keep all of your rejection letters?  When I finally land a job I want to have it as a trophy of my hard work. 

I am completely serious about making a pinata out of mine.  The thought keeps me sane.  (Sort of.)
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42
      Print  

Jump to: