• March 27, 2017
March 27, 2017, 12:29:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: even lower new rejection low  (Read 3519 times)
kaysixteen
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: March 22, 2007, 10:49:53 pm »

I just opened a rather curt rejection letter, US mail.  Dime a dozen, of course, but this one had something in it that makes it stand WAY out.  Usually reject letters are one-page affairs, with nothing else, but this one page reject letter was accompanied by a full-color, glossy advertisement for the school, an ad for soliciting students.  I am stunned, appalled, and virtually speechless-- who the hell would even consider asking a rejected faculty candidate to pass around or shill for students for the school that rejected him?  What would go through the mind of a dept. chair who would include such literature in a reject envelope?
tamiam

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:51:47 pm »

Bummer, K.

(You must be really mad. You swore!!!)

Hey look! I have a tag line too!
namazu
Un-

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:12:09 pm »

Wow, that's tacky!
aardvark

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 11:29:43 pm »

Somebody making $150k per year probably came up with that idea, too!

Incidentally, I had dinner at a friend's house last night, and his apartment turned out to be k-16; I thought of you.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 11:33:50 pm »

It could be worse--they could have included a fund raising brochure for their capital campaign.

Seriously, that is just tacky beyond words.

I can be happy anywhere I have a little money and the cops aren't after me--I'm still searching for this place.
au_fait

WTF?

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 11:37:36 pm »

I have no words. I'm stunned.

"Sarcasm keeps you from telling people what you really think of them."
red_queen

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 11:42:40 pm »

Humpf. Perfectly tasteless. Was this the job from a few weeks ago with the cancellation policy and all the rest? You already found them dodgy. Perhaps this is just a glowing confirmation.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 11:52:28 pm »

Tasteless? Perhaps it's karma.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
winnie

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

At least they didn't send you a bill for spending their time.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 3:08:22 am »

Wow, that sucks, kaysixteen.  Very thoughtless and tacky.  I'm sorry you didn't get the job--but there must be a better place to work than that place.  Keep trying.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
kaysixteen

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 4:33:05 am »

This is actually NOT the place I interviewed at last week, where I was able to get 30 minutes of the woman's time and a promise to hear back the beginning of this week whether I made the cut for a second interview.  I did hear back from them Monday, indeed, but it was to be told someone had already been hired, as they had 'expedited' their search process and there would be no second interviews.  I suspect she knew that by last Thursday when she was talking to me, but could hardly say that to me then, with me having driven 200 miles at my expense and there staring her in the face in her office.  But this was a very seedy, unprofessional proprietary business institution, and I am not sure they are familiar with academic norms.

No, today's rejection letter came from a school I had sent an application to some months back, and never heard from-- obviously I had long forgotten about the application and assumed it was a rejection when I saw the letterhead.  This is a dinkwater Christian college in the south somewhere, and the jist of this particular glossy full-color ad was to brag to all and sundry that Bubbaville College had now become, glory be, Bubbaville UNIVERSITY.  Ah well.
magimax
Magical

meow

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 9:36:49 am »

<snip>
No, today's rejection letter came from a school I had sent an application to some months back, and never heard from-- obviously I had long forgotten about the application and assumed it was a rejection when I saw the letterhead.  This is a dinkwater Christian college in the south somewhere, and the jist of this particular glossy full-color ad was to brag to all and sundry that Bubbaville College had now become, glory be, Bubbaville UNIVERSITY.  Ah well.

Clearly the brains behind Bubbaville U had never heard the marketing maxim that negative word of mouth spreads faster and wider than one can even imagine (I think it's up there with the speed of sound or light). 

Нема лоша ракиа, има малко.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 9:42:37 am »

You can dress a college up as a university, but that doesn't mean they've gained any common sense or learned any manners.

I know it's frustrating, kaysixteen (that other place, where you interviewed, sounds like another lousy place to work), but keep trying.  I don't know what your field is (and thus what the competition for slots is like), but try not to get discouraged.  Think of situations like this one (and the interview place) as the chaff you have to sort through to find the wheat.

Good luck!!

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
mintyfresh

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 10:12:10 am »

You probably don't watch "Sex in the City,"  but I'm reminded of an episode when Samantha discovered her beau was sleeping around, so she made flyers with his face on him, accompanied by some unflattering words, and passed them out in his neighborhood, tucked them under the windshield wipers of cars, and then joyously threw them up in the air. 

I think I would be tempted to do this with Bubbaville U.'s glossy flyer.

But I am against littering.  ;D
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 10:24:16 am »

If you are looking to get a library job, you may pick up some experience as a part timer.  At my middlin' school, we always need to have a librarian in the library, so they will call on some part timers to come in, especially nights and weekends.  And in my limited experience, there does seem to be a process for librarians at even middlin' schools to move on to bigger and better colleges. (We lose librarians that way.)

Print  

Jump to: