• March 27, 2017
March 27, 2017, 12:29:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny things said by non-academics  (Read 130569 times)
sirrah

« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2007, 3:58:32 pm »

I think I read that somewhere in my Principles of Social Theory:  The Power of Dyanetics (sp?) course.
jonesey
All-Purpose Savage, Barroom Sociologist, and
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2007, 4:09:39 pm »

People ask me when I'm going to be an actual professor, and not an "assistant professor" anymore. 

Jonesey, I know you're a being of sensitivity and refinement.

Hanging out at the home of leftist zealotry.
obprof

« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2007, 4:37:18 pm »

Typical comment: "Obprof, you don't look like a professor!"

response 1: "oh well, ha ha, you know, <insert change of topic"

response2: "au contraire. By definition, I am what professors look like. We don't all wear Tilley hats and smoke pipes."

response3: "really? Well, you don't look prejudiced."
magimax
Magical

meow

« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2007, 10:22:03 am »

I didn't tell my parents that I had been accepted into a PhD program until the day before the first class, because I didn't want to put up with all the arguments about "Why would a married woman want to get a Ph.D?"   

Wow, I had the same experience!  I told them when I quit my job though....  The first thing they asked is if the husband was okay with it.  Actually, a lot of people ask me that.  *sigh*

Maybe I'm misreading, but I would think your husband being OK with you quitting your job or being accepted into a PhD program would matter and so to me it seems natural that people would wonder.  I mean, you're affecting a partnership in a big way - doesn't he have a say in it?   However, asking if he's "OK with it" is pretty old fashioned - there are better ways to inquire about it.

Нема лоша ракиа, има малко.
snowbound

« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2007, 11:33:30 am »

Teaching, non-academics get, sort of.  Research?  Definitely not.  Especially research in the arts.  My elderly mother, on hearing that I had been funded for a research trip on x, insisted on giving me tips on researching it. 

Despite my ineffective protests that really I had a research plan in hand, and really I’d already done a lot of preparatory reading on x, and really I’d even written things on x already, etc . . .    I had to endure a 10-minute explanation of this wonderful new way to find out everything about x or anything else.  It was--yes, you guessed it--Google.

The more I tried to explain that the level I was researching at was WAY beyond Google, the more or arrogant I sounded.  So I ended up just shutting up and letting her have her say.  And also trying to accept the fact that she will never ever understand my life.
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2007, 6:31:13 pm »

I had to endure a 10-minute explanation of this wonderful new way to find out everything about x or anything else.  It was--yes, you guessed it--Google.
Did you suggest that she 'google' you? - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
snowbound

« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2007, 9:09:08 pm »

Now that'd be a thought.  Well, actually she doesn;t have a computer, but my sister had been showing her.  So she was going through the steps with me:  "there's a little space where you type in a word, then you . . ." and so on. Aaargh!
tamiam

« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2007, 9:58:24 pm »

That is so sweet! And far better than my ageing in-laws, who won't touch a computer because they're afraid of identity theft if they get e-mail.

Hey look! I have a tag line too!
iomhaigh

« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2007, 11:15:35 pm »

Too many people, many of whom should know better (aka colleagues in other disciplines): 

Them: "Oh!  You're a theatre professor!  So you act, right?  When are you going to be on Broadway next?  Got any films coming out?" 

Me: "No. I don't act." 

Them: "Oh-hoh."  *knowing throaty chuckle*  "So do you teach acting because you couldn't hack it in film/tv/theatre?" 

Me:  *Deep sigh*  "I'm not an acting teacher."

Them: *smarmy knowing look* "Come on, doesn't everybody in theatre act?"

Me: *Deep sigh*   

I am the very model of a modern major general.
dr_stones
We broke a six-pack in the store to get just one

пошлите законоведами пушки и деньг

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2007, 5:25:22 pm »

"Do you have to drive the bus?"

"History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme." Samuel "Steroid Free" Clemens
au_fait

WTF?

« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2007, 5:07:48 pm »

"Do you have to drive the bus?"

lol! SPEW

"Sarcasm keeps you from telling people what you really think of them."
threadkiller

« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2007, 2:22:31 pm »

When I called moving companies last week to get estimates about my impending move, one of them asked me what I did for a living, and then what field I was in.  I told him, then asked why he wanted to know.  "Books," he said, darkly.  "Always so many &%$# books."

Indeed.

When I moved and mentioned to the mover that I am an academic he literally said "Ka-ching!"  All those books add a lot of extra weight.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2007, 3:32:27 pm »

When I called moving companies last week to get estimates about my impending move, one of them asked me what I did for a living, and then what field I was in.  I told him, then asked why he wanted to know.  "Books," he said, darkly.  "Always so many &%$# books."

Indeed.

When I moved and mentioned to the mover that I am an academic he literally said "Ka-ching!"  All those books add a lot of extra weight.

I wonder whether it would actually be cheaper to mail all the books to the new location, at the fourth-class book rate?  Or perhaps to use some other inexpensive shipping method (e.g., UPS)?

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseñen bien a sus hijos.
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2007, 3:41:50 pm »

My last set of movers didn't say "Ka-ching!" but they sure were pissed when they saw that, after congratulating themselves on packing the library we had downstairs, there were two offices full of books on the second floor. However, they were mostly good with the books and there was no damage.

A friend today was surprised that I have to pay for copies of my own book. I explained that authors--of all kinds--usually get a pre-determined number of freebies and then have a discount on more. I didn't want to cause her any more trauma, so I didn't even tell her how much my book costs.

I came. I saw. I cited.
rockprof

« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2007, 7:38:30 pm »

Indeed.

Not only am I an academic with tons of books, I also am a geologist so, yes, I actually have boxes of rocks when I move!

The secret of teaching is to appear to have known all your life what you learned this afternoon.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: