• March 25, 2017
March 25, 2017, 11:38:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Once more: official transcripts  (Read 8608 times)
wonderingphd

« on: October 13, 2007, 9:01:26 pm »

I know questions about this have been asked before but here goes.  I am filling out an application form that says I need to have official transcripts sent to the school.  (As an aside, why would a school ask that of people, knowing that transcripts cost money and the application could be tossed in the garbage after ten seconds of perusing by the search committee--are search committees really that callous that they think that of course I want to spend $25.00 to send official transcripts to them that they are not even going to look at probably?  Is it that much of a seller's market that the money spent by applicants doesn't matter at al?  Who would be stupid enough to send in an unofficial transcript that would be contradicted by an official transcript?)  I hate the idea of spending real money to do that.  IF I send my own unofficial transcripts, should I assume that will be the death of my application?
prytania3
Distinguished Senior Member

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 9:08:28 pm »

That seems odd. Usually they don't want official transcipts until the eleventh hour.

If you are madly interested in the job, fork out the $25 for official transcripts. If you are just luke warm, send the unofficial transcripts and see how it goes.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
dr_dre

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 9:20:07 pm »

I feel your pain. One ad this year said that copies of transcripts should be sent now and official copies provided if invited for a campus visit. So I happily sent off my scanned copies.

The secretary contacted me and said my application would not be reviewed because it was missing official transcripts. Sigh. As the deadline approached, I dashed off the official copies.

I received another polite email from the secretary two days later, informing me that my file was nearly complete, and was, after all this, lacking only my undergraduate transcripts (not mentioned in the ad or the previous message). At that point, I had to laugh.
sportyg

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 2:04:02 am »

Eww.  $25 for official transcripts?  I was hesitant to send out the $6 official ones from my grad school.  I had 6 schools that requested official transcripts.  If that would have been $150, I would not have done it! 

One idea that someone else gave me was to get a copy of the official transcripts for yourself and make photocopies of it.  That way, you have something that looks official at least for the first part of it.  Maybe that will be good enough for the first round? 

I feel for you.  I can't believe those SC would ask for something so expensive.  Maybe if you just sent them the $25 check to the SC instead of the transcript, you'd have a better shot at the job!?
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 2:14:51 am »

Don't y'all's official transcripts have a special power that makes any photocopies appear with the word COPY sprawled allover the page a gazillion times?

Mine do.

It makes the whole thing illegible really. I send them anyway.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
svenc
My CV says I'm a

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 3:04:42 am »

... are search committees really that callous that they think that of course I want to spend $25.00 to send official transcripts to them that they are not even going to look at probably? 

No, but some HR departments and state hiring rules (at public schools) are.  I suspect that most of the ads that request official transcripts are doing so because there is a requirement beyond the discretion of the department to which you are applying.  These requirements probably apply to a large category of hires, not just faculty searches.

Now why any administrative assistant would so gleefully enforce these rules (as in dr_dre's case), I can only wonder. 

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 3:05:13 am by svenc » Logged

In foris veritas.
artemisia_

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 4:12:19 am »

If you're asked to send official transcripts and you want the job, send the official transcripts.

why would a school ask that of people, knowing that transcripts cost money and the application could be tossed in the garbage after ten seconds of perusing by the search committee--are search committees really that callous that they think that of course I want to spend $25.00 to send official transcripts to them that they are not even going to look at probably? 

Don't blame SCs for this. In my experience this is usually HR rather than the SC. You want to gamble: will the SC be interested enough in my application to accept an unofficial transcript at this stage in the application process? The problem is that often HR mandates that any incomplete application (and if official transcripts are specified but are not included the application can be deemed incomplete) be tossed, regardless of the level of interest of the SC.

How badly do you want the job? If you really want it, don't give anyone a easy reason to discard your application.
trabb

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 8:20:32 am »

A possibility that no-one has yet mentioned is emailing the administrative assistant something like the following: "Dear Person, I am putting together my application for <position>, and I noted that the ad requests official transcripts.  Given the high cost of sending official transcripts, I am wondering if the committee would accept copies.  I would, of course, be happy to send the official ones should they be interested in pursuing my candidacy further."

The down side to this approach, of course, is that it may make you come across as being a bit too pushy and perhaps unable to follow directions.  How could anything be clearer, I can hear them thinking, than "please send official transcripts"?

The 100% safe thing to do is to send official transcripts.  Anything else is a gamble to one extent or another; it may work out just fine, but it also might harm your chances.
belladonna

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 8:45:53 am »

Yes, if you really want the job and it asks for official transcripts, then send official transcripts.

I applied to a handful of job openings that require official transcripts. Some of them require official transcripts of every single coursework that I have ever undertaken... which is a pain because I have to get my grad school transcripts, my undergrad transcripts, and my cc transcripts.

These are the same job openings that required me to spend two hours filling out online applications. And one of them wanted me to send electronic copies of my official transcripts.

Back then, I was really determined to apply for any job that I was qualified for. I busted my rear-end making sure that my application packet is complete for each job opening.

I, too, feel your pain.
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 5:57:14 pm »

I've posted this elsewhere, but whenever transcripts were requested, I sent a quick e-mail or made a call to the SC and asked politely if they needed official transcripts and at what point.  About 2/3 of the SCs accepted unofficial transcripts, with the note that official ones would be provided if I was offered and accepted the job.  The other third were adhering to HR rules; no one seemed offended by the question, and I saved some money.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
nocalprof

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 10:17:38 pm »

Wow $25 per transcript is a rip - is that their standard charge or is that like overnight express or something?

I can't imagine they'd charge you $25/transcript sent directly to you (is it $25 per order?).  You could see if you could place one order to you of a dozen transcripts sealed, and then you have them on hand when needed. 
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 11:29:25 pm »

Last year, I wanted to wait to send my official transcripts because I wanted them to reflect that I had my degree.  I sent copies of the unofficial transcript with a copy of my certificate of completion, and noted in my cover letter that official transcripts reflecting the conferral of my degree would be available after whatever date.  Out of the 15 or so schools that requested transcripts, only one or two had a problem with it.  In those cases, I got an email from the SC or the admin asst. telling me that they required official transcripts, in which case I sent to old one with the copy of the certificate of completion and a note that reminded them that the official transcripts relfecting the conferral of my degree would be available after whatever date.  It was fine.

esperant

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 6:56:00 am »

Don't y'all's official transcripts have a special power that makes any photocopies appear with the word COPY sprawled allover the page a gazillion times?

Mine do.

I'm assuming this was sarcastic – it's certainly unfortunate if isn't. The two schools I've attended produce official transcripts on paper that in no way resembles copy paper, which might well be why they also charge around the $25 mark for copies.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 12:07:33 pm »

Mine do.

I'm assuming this was sarcastic – it's certainly unfortunate if isn't. The two schools I've attended produce official transcripts on paper that in no way resembles copy paper, which might well be why they also charge around the $25 mark for copies.

No, I'm not kidding.
And someone suggested getting a number of them sent in one envelope to one's self. Tried that.
They still sent them in different envelopes and charged for each one.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »

Esperant, I think you misunderstood merce.  The original official transcript looks fine, but it has a special ink that shows up only when you photocopy the transcript.  It's the photocopies that are thus identified as copies by having the word "copy" plastered in huge letters across them.

My transcripts work this way, too, but they only cost about $6 apiece.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseñen bien a sus hijos.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: