• March 27, 2017
March 27, 2017, 8:32:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Affirmative action cards--what happens if you don't bother?  (Read 6513 times)
chigagolake

« on: November 05, 2007, 3:28:47 pm »

Hi there,
I got a boatload of affirmative action cards to return to schools that I applied to. What happens if I don't bother? I know this sounds really lazy but I applied to tons of schools.

Will the school know if I don't fill it out?
englitprof
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 3:35:30 pm »

No, but be aware that HR can cancel a search if it appears that the pool of applicants isn't diverse enough, or large enough.

"Saving just one dog won't change the world, but surely the world will change for that one dog." --unknown
seniorscholar

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 3:41:21 pm »

As englitprof suggests, please do fill them out -- if only 5 cards are returned, most departments will not be able to offer you a job (even if you're their first choice) because the administration has pulled the search since the pool is "too small" or "not sufficiently diverse." No, HR will probably not know if you, personally, did not return the card, nor would they be able to do anything about it if they did know by some code on the form, but departments are super fed up if they can't hire anyone, after all the work they've done, because the pool is "too small" so far as the bureaucrat in charge can tell.
chigagolake

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 3:42:29 pm »

I will fill them out...don't want to ruin it for the rest of us!
jossfritz

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 4:26:55 pm »

I always fill them out, but I have noticed this year an inordinant number of them coming with the request that I mail them back at my expense. I'm not sure who's "really cheap" in this scenario, the u.which sends me a form but no envelope or me begrudging a stamp, but I feel like I've already ante'd up a few bucks with the initial application.
limbo_postdoc

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 4:31:31 pm »

Yes, it does make them look cheap... but it's probably not worth it to sweat the cost of a stamp at this point.

It's just a stamp. Stick it to the envelope and move on with your life.

(sorry if this comes across as impolite... it's burnout time...)
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 4:33:43 pm »

I hated that too.
especially when you had to both provide and address the envelope.
Much more considerate were the schools who gave you the SASE or the notecards with postage paid.

trabb

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 5:12:45 pm »

Hi there,
I got a boatload of affirmative action cards to return to schools that I applied to. What happens if I don't bother?

Seventh circle of hell, a circle all to your own between the violent and the suicides.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 5:34:09 pm »

The goats come.  And then it's all over.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
hollow_man
Funny, I don't feel like a

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 5:38:12 pm »

I got a couple by e-mail. That's free at least.

I haven't sent back a single one. Hell, here I come.

--DJ

"Suffer no thirst in the presence of beer!" -- Inscription of Nebnetjeru
biologist_

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 2:22:08 am »

HR extracts DNA from the saliva on the stamp to verify that you filled in the proper ethnicity.  If they don't make you stamp the envelope or they just ask you to fill in a web form, they're cheap or lazy.

polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 2:45:01 am »

I always whine and then I fill out the card.  I am willing to be the token woman so they can actually go forward with the search instead of being bounced for unlucky statistics. 

Hint to any HR people reading: if only 10% of the Ph. D.s awarded every year go to women, the applicant pool for most engineering positions will have very few women.  It's not surprising that only two applicants in your fifty person pool were women.  It is not a mark against the search committee.  Quit canceling those searches!

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
hollow_man

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 9:09:56 am »

HR extracts DNA from the saliva on the stamp to verify that you filled in the proper ethnicity.  If they don't make you stamp the envelope or they just ask you to fill in a web form, they're cheap or lazy.

Saliva on a stamp? Ewww!

case_insensitive
Indefatigable Maverick Giver of Gold Stars and Ever-So Slightly

Life is an endurance race. Pace yourself.

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 9:13:09 am »

By email? How is that anonymous?

You are not compelled by law to fill these out. You cannot be required to fill them out and return them. However, if too few people reply, a search can be cancelled.

If they provide postage, send them back.  They should have no method to identify you individually.

Director of the CHE MYOB Professional Development Program,
An initiative of the CHE STFU Center for Professional Development.
Chairperson of the GAB CPE Series.
hollow_man

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 9:23:19 am »

By email? How is that anonymous?

I had to look back at one of them just now... it has a link to a Web form. I suppose there might be ways to track down someone who fills out the form, I dunno.

--DJ

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: