• March 23, 2017
March 24, 2017, 12:16:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Why you were not hired  (Read 88809 times)
rising_cat

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2007, 7:06:28 pm »

You probably shouldn't have slept with one of the students who took you out to dinner as part of your interview.  And if you simply had to do it, it probably shouldn't have been with one of our high-school-in-college students.

Tip: Never trust a 17 year old boy not to boast.

I've got to ask if you are sure he didn't *lie* rather than "boast"

Unfortunately, we were sure.  Making a long story short, there was video.  It wasn't pretty.
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post
Distinguished Senior Member

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2007, 7:07:29 pm »

You probably shouldn't have slept with one of the students who took you out to dinner as part of your interview.  And if you simply had to do it, it probably shouldn't have been with one of our high-school-in-college students.

Unfortunately, we were sure.  Making a long story short, there was video.  It wasn't pretty.

I clearly need to work at more interesting places.

Que scay-je?
apablo

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2007, 7:10:08 pm »

Ha! Put it on youtube!
historian

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2007, 7:11:32 pm »

Yikes! Best single interview story I've ever heard. You guys win!

alshealy: "Nothing says 'retreating from society' like learning to play the banjo."
hollow_man
Funny, I don't feel like a

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2007, 7:14:01 pm »

You're going to need to provide a link.

"Suffer no thirst in the presence of beer!" -- Inscription of Nebnetjeru
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2007, 7:14:15 pm »

Holy crap!

I can be happy anywhere I have a little money and the cops aren't after me--I'm still searching for this place.
epistephiliac
Could serve monkey ass and empty clam shells and still win

The day needs my saving expertise

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2007, 7:20:01 pm »

2. Do not tell our grad students how "worthless" a degree is from a school like ours and how superior your own program was. It was stupid, rude and mean---

My school hired this person! Who then taught two of the three required courses for first-year doctoral students when I started at the program. It was extremely demoralizing to hear--repeatedly--what a shame it was we were graduating from such a third-rate school. (Which, by the way, is not at all true.)

At least the attitude wasn't limited to graduate students, as s/he told subsequent candidates the same thing. I understand s/he is no longer on search committees.

As for the video... wow. I have to agree with Historian. There's no topping that story.

When asked about my research interests, I quote Kelly Kapoor: "Basically, everything that is awesome."
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2007, 7:22:57 pm »

Holy crap!

Larryc, you took the words right out of my mouth.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 7:23:13 pm by pink_lady » Logged

titian

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2007, 7:34:39 pm »

I was going to say, "Oh, my God!", but perhaps that is just repeating something on the video...

But the field in which I grow my fvcks is not only barren but has now been sowed with salt.
  " ... it is barren, yea, and will remain so, even to the end of the age." -- llanfair
old_school

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2007, 7:44:46 pm »

Disclaimer: I have never served on a search committee. I'm an ABD who's experiencing hu's first year on the market, so take what I say with a grain of salt. 

*When asked how hu would expand the institution's program in X Studies, the candidate replied, "If someone's not interested in X, I can't force them to take the class"

*During job talk Q & A, candidate responded to a query about hu's theoretical framework by saying "I refuse to answer your question"   

The candidate kept using made up words such as hu?

Simplify.
prof_mom
Snarktastic

Mackerel smacking champion

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2007, 7:51:52 pm »

The candidate kept using made up words such as hu?

Be careful. You are showing signs of *!*. It is contagious.

*!* is contagious, but appropriate hu use can protect you (see http://www.hupronoun.org/).
My God.  Take your pom poms elsewhere unless you have something substantive to say. 
pippin

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2007, 7:52:57 pm »

You were very, very bitter about your current employer. While you may feel that way, you shouldn't be telling US.

Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.
rising_cat

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2007, 7:55:10 pm »

You're going to need to provide a link.

I would but, alas, after its first damning appearance on Myspace, it has disappeared into the ether.  It was certainly unexpected, anyway.  We were probably going to make the candidate the offer, until this debacle showed such a stunning lack of judgment. 

Luckily for the candidate, our state has more liberal age of consent laws.  So at least hu is not going to end up like R. Kelly...for now.
scienceguy
Distinguished Senior

« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2007, 8:15:04 pm »

How come when I was on the job market I never got to compete against candidates like THAT?!!!!

No.... I had to somehow matchup against the second coming of Linus Pauling.
noinfohere

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2007, 8:16:26 pm »

1. Don't tell our students when you meet with them that you can't wait to be hired at our rural university so you can get a cottage in the woods and be by yourself to write.

2. Don't tell us you want our job because it is only 5 hours driving distance to your home town, where your significant other lives, where you will spend every minute of time when not in the classroom, and and where you would desperately love to find a job.

3. If you are ABD, you will be trumped by anyone almost as good with PhD in hand.

4. If you are a man and we have 0-20% females in our department you will be trumped by a woman who is equally as good.

5. Try to muster genuine enthusiasm for teaching and for our students.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: