• March 25, 2017
March 25, 2017, 11:37:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: the double-edged sword of the wiki  (Read 5329 times)
heybeerman

« on: January 22, 2008, 11:07:13 pm »

Warning! pointless vent ahead!

ack...i just found out SLAC that I had a conference interview with and fell in love with scheduled campus interviews....last week!  This is the unkindest wiki post of all - you check the wiki daily (sometimes twice a day); finally, in desperation, you post "Has anyone heard from them??" and then someone posts "Campus interview scheduled last week" - which, in my crazy neurotic brain says "Oh, yeah, it's not a big deal to me, whatever...i took it so lightly I didn't even bother to go to the wiki and post it.  I wasn't gonna tell anyone, but since you're so desperate to know...your hopes are dashed."

this is why you don't get attached to jobs...i have two upcoming campus interviews and need to focus on them and not vent my spleen on the CHE forums about the stupid wiki.

I hate job hunting.
dr_dre
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 11:41:19 pm »

Yes, the wiki is a cruel mistress. Still, 2 campus interviews! You rock--Best of luck!
eugenides

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:58:37 pm »

Moreover, the info on wiki is not "that" reliable.
Some people post information which I find quite misleading, although I do not think such people mean to mislead other readers. ( I choose to think these posters believe what they post)

merce
strange attractor

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 12:11:41 am »

As the WIKI dashed all the hopes and dreams of all my years,
I daydreamed today as I walked across campus where I am a lowly VAP
that the WIKI was full of liars
and that in fact all my possible jobs were not already long past invitations to campus
but instead about to call me to invite me to campus.

le sigh

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
superabound

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:19:22 am »

The wiki never brings good news, so why do so many of us check so relentlessly?
heybeerman

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 12:42:44 am »

The wiki never brings good news, so why do so many of us check so relentlessly?

You know what?  That is an EXCELLENT FREAKIN' POINT.  The wiki is just another method of self-torture - what good can it tell you? It's not a double-edged sword, it's a single, rusty, jagged one that tears through your hopes and dashes them to the ground.

That's it - screw the wiki; if I get a job I get one, but my bookmarks list just got one entry shorter.

Anyone care to join me in this wiki boycott?
eugenides

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:49:16 am »

heybeerman got a good point:

Dear Applicants, if you are not informed by the SCs, you are informed by the wiki.
But if you get any knowledge from wiki which you have not known from somewhere else (especially the SCs), the wiki knowledge will definitely hurt you.

Just imagine, what is the knowledge that the SCs do not let you know but the wiki lets you know? It must be bad news against you.

Wake up all...

the_honey_badger

Not my post count---I ate the owner!

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 1:22:23 am »

I went through the first and biggest job hunt during the "black pit of no information" years---no thank you. It was disappointing to find out by T'giving that I didn't get an interview at any of the few places to which I applied but it allowed me to get a refund on the hotel and registration and switch the airfare to a credit. It also didn't leave me through Christmas wondering...first time around I got a call on Christmas Day and two afterward before the conference.

To me it meant I could move on and be a bit depressed but not paralyzed and anchored to the phone.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 5:39:20 am »

I like the wiki. It lets me decide when I want to find out the status of my applications, rather than being dependent on the SC's decision to send out rejection letters. It's a small thing that helps maintain the illusion that I have any control over the search once the applications are out the door.

If you don't like the wiki, you can choose not to read it. It's a trickier proposition to just ignore envelopes that arrive in your mailbox.
citylit

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 1:58:34 pm »

I don't think the Wiki is all bad, despite its being the agent of so much angst and so many dashed hopes.  I think it's far more painful to feel completely within the control of the SCs, many of whom have long since scheduled campus visits without telling the others they've interviewed at the MLA/ AHA et. al.

As an informal poll: how many of you who were not chosen for campus visits after a conference interview found out via the Wiki versus from the SC directly? I had six interviews, one campus visit, and one post-interview rejection from a SC chair. The other 4 have all invited people to campus (I think) with no word to the post-interview rejects. I don't think the SCs necessarily owe me any sort of response; I'm just curious about how often the Wiki is the bearer of bad news instead of a person with whom you've interviewed.
dundee
Legal Alien

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 2:13:11 pm »

I had five MLA interviews, and three of those led to two campus visits and a phone interview (yes, they have a weird search process). I found out via the Wiki that two of my MLA interviews didn't lead to campus visits. I'd rather know that now, and stop thinking about those schools, than continue to think I'm in with a chance.

I also like the "individual stats" page and seeing how many applications other people sent out, how many interviews they had, etc. It really shows that certain candidates are sought after - you hardly ever see candidates with just one conference interview or campus visit. You can also get a good sense of which subfields are in demand. For example, there are people who do African-American literature who had over a dozen conference interviews and half a dozen campus visits lined-up, whereas there are plenty of people who do 19th and 20th century British or American lit. who didn't even get a single conference interview.

"Dublin, Dundee, Humberside ..."
santommaso

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 2:16:07 pm »

I'm angry at the wiki because our candidates are not indicating on the wiki that we acknowledged their applications, etc.
elemental

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 10:45:46 am »

I think that the wiki helped me be more realistic. I applied broadly this season, and couldn't help but imagine 'what if' with all the applications- even the more out-of-reach ones. The wiki gave me more information about how marketable I was, and nudged me to let go of my more far-fetched fantasies and focus on the opportunities at hand. It is hard to stop wanting that brass ring, but actually, the kinds of places that are interested in me are really more the kinds of places that would fit me best. And I might not have taken them as seriously if I didn't know for sure that I was out of the running at all the hot spots.
bacardiandlime
Ninja

That makes me more gangster than you

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 7:34:30 pm »

I agree that it is good somewhat helpful to know when you are out of the running, so avoid wasting more time hoping for something that won't happen, instead of focusing on the ones you still have a shot with. And the wiki will tell you 'it's over' faster than an SC will.

At this stage though, is seeing how the post MLA/AHA info has slowed to a trickle a sign it's time to move on? I don't want to be negative but at the same time hitting 'refresh' on the wiki that hasn't shifted in a while has begun to seem like flogging a dead horse. (are there really SCs who at this stage haven't issued campus visit invitations? - while I want to 'keep hoping' I also want to be realistic)

t_r_b
A mean, suspicious, hostile, bitchy, grumpy, nasty individual who is clearly not a mainstream American, yet somehow became a

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 7:50:01 pm »

are there really SCs who at this stage haven't issued campus visit invitations?

Yes.

I had two interviews in which I was told not to expect any word from them until late January/early Feb., because their second semester starts late and the bureaucracy wouldn't be able to move until then.

Quote from: prytania3
If you want to be zen, then stay in the freaking moment.
Quote from: fiona
A lot of the people posting on this thread need to go out and get kohlrabi.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: