• March 29, 2017
March 29, 2017, 7:16:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 969
  Print  
Author Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!  (Read 3656863 times)
egilson
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2010 on: October 26, 2010, 9:18:14 am »

Maybe they don't know what state they're in as in "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."

Then they're sure not rolling strikes.
rowan1
be serious I am a

na na na na, na na na na , hey hey hey, goodbye

« Reply #2011 on: October 26, 2010, 1:22:17 pm »

"The problem I had with the Bollywood films was that they are so stuck on tradition.  Americans don't understand that tradition in dance and stuff so they should just get rid of it if they want to appeal to the audience."

yes, this class is supposed to help them see beyond their own ethnocentric POVs.  It is supposed to. Really.

I need some asprin, or a drink, a real stiff drink.

The time is out of jointO cursd spite,
That ever I was born to set it right!
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Make life take the lemons back!

« Reply #2012 on: October 26, 2010, 1:42:04 pm »

I had to explain three times today that if I say something is alternative to something else, I do NOT mean that it is the same. Argh!

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
tanit

« Reply #2013 on: October 26, 2010, 10:08:38 pm »

Chaos - I've had similar problems with "alternate". 

FWIW today I had good interactions with even failing students; despair was delivered by administrators.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring?  It's the tail end of midterms.
dr_badb

« Reply #2014 on: October 27, 2010, 10:31:40 am »

Oh GOD. Why can't students seem to understand simple, clear instruction?? First of the batch of resits in (these are students who have failed once already, and who I bent over backwards to encourage to come and see me in advance of submitting the repeat), and the student has failed again already. How? By not following basic instructions, which asked her to compare the representation of a particular motif in two texts on the course (pretty much word for word the question). Does she pick texts from the course? She does not. She picks two obscure legends that we never even mentioned ONCE in the course. I give up. Really, I do.

Flowers are restful to look at. They have neither emotions nor conflicts. Freud.
althea

« Reply #2015 on: October 27, 2010, 10:47:36 am »

The students in my class have to write a major paper. They have a great deal of trouble with basic grammar and citation style. I require an outline, first draft, and final paper. I told them (repeatedly) that the outline should be in sentence and paragraph form with proper citations so that I could correct their mistakes before the first draft. I said I wanted about 5 references in a reference list. I further stated that bullet points were not acceptable. About one-third of the class handed in outlines just made up of bullet points. Most of these did not supply any references at all. When I asked a couple of the students about this, they said it was better for them to do it their way.
nebo113

« Reply #2016 on: October 27, 2010, 12:53:47 pm »

The students in my class have to write a major paper. They have a great deal of trouble with basic grammar and citation style. I require an outline, first draft, and final paper. I told them (repeatedly) that the outline should be in sentence and paragraph form with proper citations so that I could correct their mistakes before the first draft. I said I wanted about 5 references in a reference list. I further stated that bullet points were not acceptable. About one-third of the class handed in outlines just made up of bullet points. Most of these did not supply any references at all. When I asked a couple of the students about this, they said it was better for them to do it their way.

As I reported on another thread:  I pulled a couple of students aside last week and said, "Do what I say, when I say, and how I say.  I'm smart.  I know what I'm doing.  Now say yes mam and salute."
creamcity

« Reply #2017 on: October 27, 2010, 1:01:04 pm »

I said I wanted about 5 references in a reference list. I further stated that bullet points were not acceptable. About one-third of the class handed in outlines just made up of bullet points. Most of these did not supply any references at all. When I asked a couple of the students about this, they said it was better for them to do it their way.

Ahhh, this is so easily answered.

It is not better for them to do it their way, because they failed -- nothin', nada, no credit for -- the assignment, since they did not follow the instructions for the assignment.

llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #2018 on: October 27, 2010, 1:14:07 pm »

I said I wanted about 5 references in a reference list. I further stated that bullet points were not acceptable. About one-third of the class handed in outlines just made up of bullet points. Most of these did not supply any references at all. When I asked a couple of the students about this, they said it was better for them to do it their way.

Ahhh, this is so easily answered.

It is not better for them to do it their way, because they failed -- nothin', nada, no credit for -- the assignment, since they did not follow the instructions for the assignment.

Dream response: "Better for whom? For me, certainly, 'cos I don't have to mark them.  F."

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #2019 on: October 28, 2010, 11:13:12 am »

A student whose tragic e-mails about life problems I discussed on the "Favorite" Student E-mails thread came to see me today.  We talked about problems she might face with probability, and she asked me to go over a few of them.  I did (hey, it's office hours, or close to it), and got some, um, different questions.

Me: So, we have four outcomes, A, B, C, and D; suppose the probability of A is 0.3, the probability of B is 0.25, of C is 0.25, and D is unknown.  How do we find the probability of D

Her: Okay.

Me: Well, all the numbers have to add up to 1.  So I add up A, B, C, and D, and I get 0.8 + P(D) = 1.  Then P(D) = 0.2.

Her:  How did you get that?

Me:  You subtract the 0.8 from the 1.

Her: No, how did you get that .8?

Me: (Demonstrate adding 0.3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 0.80.)

Her: (Question involving the difference between 0.8 and 0.80 and .8)

Me:  Well, they're all the same, right?

Her: (Not convinced but not wanting to argue) Okay, now what did you do to get 0.20?

Me:  I just subtracted; I had 0.8 + P(D) = 1, so I subtract 0.8.

Her: Huh?

Me:  Look, if I had 2 + x = 3, what would x be?

Her: One.

Me:  Right.  How do you know?

Her: 'Cause 2 + 1 = 3.

Me:  Right.  Now, 0.8 + P(D) = 1.  0.8 + what is 1?

Her: Huh?

Me:  (Demonstrate subtracting 1 0.8 slowly.)

Her: (Shy smile) Oh.

And to think they don't allow alcohol on campus.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
cgfunmathguy
Beer-brewing

« Reply #2020 on: October 28, 2010, 12:08:23 pm »

Wow, Conjy. You just replayed one conversation I had last fall with a student. I didn't know she transferred.

Alas, greatness and meaning are rarely coterminous with popular familiarity.
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #2021 on: October 28, 2010, 1:12:31 pm »

Apparently, I am Conjugate (or possibly Cgfunmathguy caught in a time warp) because I had that conversation this week as well.  That student gets around.

That does it.  I'm locking my door before she comes here.

slinger
Quite Un-

« Reply #2022 on: October 28, 2010, 2:01:31 pm »

Apparently, I am Conjugate (or possibly Cgfunmathguy caught in a time warp) because I had that conversation this week as well.  That student gets around.

That does it.  I'm locking my door before she comes here.

It's probably too late.  She's probably on her way to your office right now.

She showed up in my class this morning.

16 = 9 + 3 + 3 + x

Lots of blank stares and "Huh?"s from her. 

I wonder who's next....

Several threads on the fora could be solved by just Being A Damn Grownup.
That is it, Slinger, you're banned!
amlithist

« Reply #2023 on: October 28, 2010, 2:18:44 pm »

Not to add to the despair, but I was talking with the Math Dept. chair this week, who told me that, after midterm, in the pre-algebra class (where the basic skills being taught are the 4 basic functions, reading a clock, reading a ruler, and the like), students are given tables to use in class, on homework, and on tests.

Me:  Tables?  What kind of tables?

Her:  You know--multiplication and addition and subtraction tables.  Otherwise, they aren't going to be able to pass.

Sweet baby Jesus.  They really ought to replace our campus' name on the sign with the word "Clown" above "College."

Every person you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.  Be kind, always.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #2024 on: October 28, 2010, 4:05:58 pm »

They really ought to replace our campus' name on the sign with the word "Clown" above "College."

That would be insulting to clowns.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseen bien a sus hijos.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 969
  Print  

Jump to: