• March 23, 2017
March 23, 2017, 10:16:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 41
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask Mended Drum your nagging questions here; get a completely awesome answer.  (Read 170179 times)
mended_drum
Potnia theron and
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #210 on: November 09, 2011, 8:38:41 am »

Oh Mended_Drum, where is that more recent edition of that novel I'm teaching next week--the one with all my annotations?

p.s. Hi, Mended_Mom.

Based on my week, it's probably somewhere in my office.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
dr_evil
Completely Imaginary

« Reply #211 on: November 11, 2011, 10:42:01 am »

Why is one of my colleagues seemingly mentally unstable?  <And no, it's not ME!>

Wheeeeee! You go, oh evilicious one.
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2011, 10:58:19 am »

Why is one of my colleagues seemingly mentally unstable?  <And no, it's not ME!>

a. genetics
b. environment
c. a and b
d. things are not, seemingly, what they seem to be

theritas

« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2011, 3:30:47 pm »

Why is this building so uncomfortably hot or cold so darn often?  How is overheating or overcooling the place economical? 
fizmath
Smug Shill for the Right

« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2011, 3:35:31 pm »

Why is this building so uncomfortably hot or cold so darn often?  How is overheating or overcooling the place economical? 

In a similar vein, why do modern computer controlled heating and cooling systems never work right?  It warms up suddenly and the heat is still on.  It becomes chilly and the heat is not turned on.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2011, 3:37:44 pm »

In a similar vein, why do modern computer controlled heating and cooling systems never work right?  It warms up suddenly and the heat is still on.  It becomes chilly and the heat is not turned on.

Computers don't feel the cold the way we do.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
dr_alcott

« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2011, 9:00:52 pm »

Oh Mended Drum, what gives with people who wear so much perfume that it makes one's eyes water? I submit that I should not be able (or be forced) to smell someone from across a room, especially in a professional setting. Am I being unreasonable?

Two questions there. Oops.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
coalminecanary

« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2011, 11:05:52 pm »

Why am I only motivated to do things that aren't urgent like making the house spotless or knitting, but I can't seem to start writing this final? I've typed "Final exam" into the CMS, and that is the extent of my efforts.

I have a corvid-like strong attraction to bright new shiny things.
concordancia

« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2011, 2:52:48 pm »

Will the grading and final writing fairy come if I take the afternoon off for beta testing a game?

I like money.  I like to buy stuff and experiences with money.  
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #219 on: December 02, 2011, 4:00:30 pm »

Oh Mended Drum, what gives with people who wear so much perfume that it makes one's eyes water? I submit that I should not be able (or be forced) to smell someone from across a room, especially in a professional setting. Am I being unreasonable?

Two questions there. Oops.

Mended_drum always suspects that such people are attempting to conceal the fact that they do not bathe regularly or are trying to conceal the effects of a noon rendez-vous.  Thinking such scandalous things does not prevent the assault upon the senses that their perfume produces, but it does allow a certain private aroma of condescension to moderate it.

mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2011, 4:02:46 pm »

Will the grading and final writing fairy come if I take the afternoon off for beta testing a game?

The last known member of that particular species of fairy was throttled to death during a regional assessment committee visit to a formerly pleasant campus.  Rumor says that the murderer was a member of SACS.

mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2011, 4:05:43 pm »

Why am I only motivated to do things that aren't urgent like making the house spotless or knitting, but I can't seem to start writing this final? I've typed "Final exam" into the CMS, and that is the extent of my efforts.

Perhaps you should remove the word "final" from the heading, thus removing the appearance of urgency.

lotsoquestions

« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2011, 9:16:00 am »

How is it possible for us two nerdy academics to have produced a cheerleader?  Is it some form of genetic mutation?  (I think the other 'cheer moms' think we stole her from a stroller at the mall.  It would be nice to have an answer.)
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2011, 8:03:26 pm »

How is it possible for us two nerdy academics to have produced a cheerleader?  Is it some form of genetic mutation?  (I think the other 'cheer moms' think we stole her from a stroller at the mall.  It would be nice to have an answer.)

Perhaps each of you carries the recessive allele for cheerleaderism, and your offspring got them both?

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
august
Member since 2004, and finally a

« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2011, 10:18:38 pm »

Perhaps each of you carries the recessive allele for cheerleaderism, and your offspring got them both?

This is very much like the reason my son has red hair. 

"All you progressives have done is to elevate this duck man."
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 41
  Print  

Jump to: