• December 4, 2016
December 04, 2016, 8:20:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildlife watchers and other naturalists  (Read 105282 times)
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)
Distinguished Senior Member

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2016, 9:01:12 pm »

Now that we have a house in town, I'm not able to get photos of deer and such, but I pay attention to the birds in my backyard. We also have a healthy population of rabbits. This evening, a friend of Genni's came over to spend the night and looked out into the backyard under our large tree and spotted this: a red-tailed hawk. Another view of the hawk.

Considering the number of rabbits and birds there are around, I had a feeling we'd be seeing one sooner or later.

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2016, 5:17:50 pm »

Around the place I'm staying at (only until next week, alas) gets frequent visits by mule deer, which is nice.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2016, 6:14:27 pm »

Sorry about the double post, but I forgot to talk about the California king snake that I saw while doing a bio survey a couple of weeks ago. It was just slowly slithering by. It was a brown and cream colored morph, and a fairly long one (at least 3.5 feet or longer).

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
catherder

« Reply #243 on: November 29, 2016, 9:05:26 am »

Around the place I'm staying at (only until next week, alas) gets frequent visits by mule deer, which is nice.

When I came home yesterday evening there was a deer, a white-tailed doe, on my front lawn.  She wasn't perturbed when I pulled into the driveway. We just watched each other for a few minutes before she wandered off. 
paultuttle
wondering how in the world I became a

« Reply #244 on: November 29, 2016, 9:39:20 am »

Lots of birds were yammering three mornings ago when I woke up, sounding as though the end of the world was upon us. So I went outside to see what the problem was--and just after I took five steps down our wheelchair access ramp, a barred owl took off from a tree in our side yard and landed in the magnolia in the corner of the back yard, only to twist its neck impossibly around to stare down at me with affronted dignity as the smaller songbirds circled around it, trying to annoy it enough to move on.

Which it did in another few minutes, showing another flash of white feathers underneath its brown and gold wings and tail.

What surprised me most was its size--nearly as large as a goose or turkey--and wingspan--nearly four feet. I had no idea.

This is the most fantastic thing I have read in ages.  Please, please send this student to me.  I promise I will be gentle.
professor_pat

« Reply #245 on: November 29, 2016, 3:38:48 pm »

Cool sighting, Paultuttle! This morning the jays started going nuts, so I went out to check, hoping to see a Barred Owl. But whatever it was had left by the time I assembled myself with binocs and camera.

One recent time, it turned out that the resident crows were fussing at a coyote in my yard. I didn't know a coyote would trigger that reaction; wonder if they saw it as a potential predator?

To me, forums are more of a relaxing period in which the poster can allow himself or himself to be lost in a sea of wonder.
brixton

« Reply #246 on: November 29, 2016, 3:50:57 pm »

Cool sighting, Paultuttle! This morning the jays started going nuts, so I went out to check, hoping to see a Barred Owl. But whatever it was had left by the time I assembled myself with binocs and camera.

One recent time, it turned out that the resident crows were fussing at a coyote in my yard. I didn't know a coyote would trigger that reaction; wonder if they saw it as a potential predator?

Definitely!  I've seen crows dive-bomb out backyard seemingly reacting to nothing, but we heard the coyote pups in the backyard canyon yipping over a distant siren.   I suspect that is what the crows were reacting to. The hackles on our otherwise friendly black lab went up with a growl.  It's so weird to have wildlife (like coyotes) so close to my urban setting. 
catherder

« Reply #247 on: November 29, 2016, 4:40:01 pm »

Here the coyotes come and go. One year they'll be chasing deer across the frozen lake. The next year no coyotes. Then the next they're trotting up the lane every night.  Some of them might be coywolves--they are BIG.   I've never seen them in full daylight here, though, so the birds don't react.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
  Print  

Jump to: