• September 29, 2016
September 29, 2016, 11:14:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: University of the People ?  (Read 20869 times)
drannmaria

« on: May 05, 2011, 9:27:29 pm »

Is anyone familiar with University of the People? A tuition-free university sounds like a great idea. I do volunteer a few hours a week with local schools and I thought I could donate some time to this organization.

However, I could not find their faculty listed anywhere on their site and that threw me a little bit. I looked at the course descriptions for my field (statistics) and they were adequate. Nothing new but nothing wrong, either.

Obviously, searching the forum brought up a ton of irrelevant hits with the words "university" and "people", so if there has been a prior discussion someone could direct me to, it would be appreciated.
uopeople123

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:06:27 am »

Hello Drannmaria,

I work with the University. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at communications@uopeople.org

You may find our deans and academic leadership here: http://www.uopeople.org/groups/leadership
larryc
Troll Proof
Distinguished Senior Member

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 4:41:56 pm »

It looks like the university is editing its own Wikipedia page, which sets of a few alarm bells for me. And I see that it is not accredited: "The University is in the process of preparing the necessary materials to apply for accreditation from an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education."

I can be happy anywhere I have a little money and the cops aren't after me--I'm still searching for this place.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 5:33:30 pm »

This sounds like The University without Walls (Los Angeles).  My boss in a counseling agency pretended to have a "PhD" from there.  We all snickered when he left the room.  He was a Soko Gokai Buddhist and probably chanted for it.

Taste o' the Sixties
chicago_48

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 3:28:20 am »

This sounds like The University without Walls (Los Angeles).  My boss in a counseling agency pretended to have a "PhD" from there.  We all snickered when he left the room.  He was a Soko Gokai Buddhist and probably chanted for it.
Found this forum.  Has anyone got any new information about this university?
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 7:19:23 am »

Found this forum.  Has anyone got any new information about this university?

Still not accredited. 

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:46:23 am »

I sent a query - you get back a vague answer.
chicago_48

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 2:15:29 pm »

I sent a query - you get back a vague answer.
They have a forum at linkedin.com.  The guy who's in charge just got $500,000 from Gates Fdn....but they still haven't answered my questions.  But I'm in the forum.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 1:20:57 pm »

It is very important to be in the forum, but it is more important that the forum be accredited.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: