Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

<< < (1737/2834) > >>

lizardmom1:
Quote from: bioteacher on May 16, 2013,  5:31:29 pm

It is hard to earn an F in this course. StuDent seems to be determined to prove that it can be done.... and then replicate the experiment to verify the results.

Well, at least StuDent seems to be able to apply some scientific procedures... Whether StuDent actually has the capacity or desire to realize this is what she/he is doing is another matter...

proftowanda:

It is hard to earn an F in this course. StuDent seems to be determined to prove that it can be done.... and then replicate the experiment to verify the results.
{/quote]

A great line, and I may lift it -- with credit -- to use with inveterate retakers, such as one who managed to flunk a course both in the classroom and online, three times.    And permission for the third time at my campus required that the student take several steps that meant as much writing and time as do ten assignments in the course, but the student never did more than one.   Now, of course, I realize that I was remiss in not recognizing that she was attempting to replicate results  -- and that she did so, so well.

Here, I thought that taking the same steps and accomplishing the same result, repeatedly, was a definition of insanity.

bioteacher:
Quote from: lizardmom1 on May 16, 2013,  5:40:31 pm

Well, at least StuDent seems to be able to apply some scientific procedures... Whether StuDent actually has the capacity or desire to realize this is what she/he is doing is another matter...

StuDent has now been sent a "friendly" email informing him/her that two assignments are now late and this is like purchasing a one-way ticket to an automatic F. The train departs shortly... so make a decision.

In the same course, I am reminded once again how creative students are when ignoring directions:
"Submit the first page (ideally) or the entire pdf of the article so I can see the abstract" becomes "Copy/paste the abstract only into a word document, print to a PDF, and load it for Bioteacher to evaluate."

This doesn't prove they can get the actual paper, that the paper is relevant to their topic, or that the paper is current (2007 or later).

I've gotten papers from 1998. I have had to explain the date requirements again, too. <heavy sigh>

And then we have those who avoided all the "trouble" of submitting their 5 PDFs by submitting their endnote library instead. Endnote use is required in the class, but unless the student also attaches the library folder, the papers don't make the journey.... making it difficult for me to evaluate those papers.

I tell them to write about apples and oranges, they report back on why they hate bananas and golf.

It's going to be a Very Long Summer.

yellowtractor:
What do you have against golf?

polly_mer:
Quote from: yellowtractor on May 18, 2013,  6:56:40 pm

What do you have against golf?

It's so hard to get the ball in a hole using a banana, an orange, and an apple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page