• February 26, 2017

Chronicle Forums

February 26, 2017, 7:55:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 07:51:46 pm 
Started by shoe2851 - Last post by shoe2851
Oscars 2017 Streaming Live

on: Today at 07:49:08 pm 
Started by history_grrrl - Last post by spork
I've discovered that I can no longer assume my students know how to read, and if they don't know how to read, they can't write. You might need to abandon teaching content and focus on skills: https://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2017/02/20/is-it-time-to-go-back-to-basics-with-writing-instruction/.

I use the reading response technique, described here, to force students to think about what they read and to be prepared for class. I grade these things with a very simple rubric so it doesn't take me much time.

on: Today at 07:43:17 pm 
Started by melba_frilkins - Last post by mamselle
Sounds like a bit of Crake and Oryx thown in....do their bottoms turn blue at mating season, too?

M.

on: Today at 07:37:45 pm 
Started by zoelouise - Last post by mamselle
Are they doing it to this tune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_H-LY4Jb2M

:--}

M.

on: Today at 07:36:48 pm 
Started by figee - Last post by secundem_artem
Q:  Has Agent Orange really launched a full scale twitter war against the Girl Scouts?

A:  The Tasmanian Devil is on the loose!

on: Today at 07:27:37 pm 
Started by tuxedo_cat - Last post by mamselle
Oh, that little face!

M.

on: Today at 07:21:38 pm 
Started by academicpop - Last post by teach_write_research
I suggest no because there is unknown risk in revealing your personal/family needs in the application. You don't have any control over how the committee will read what you write, what interpretations they'll make, etc. Don't tip your cards at a point when you have such little control over the outcome. You need more information about them to know how you want to play your enthusiasm for the life fit.

Keeping your application focused on the program etc. makes sense. Flatter them sincerely about the distinctive training, what have you, that they offer. Show how you fit with that, etc. If there's something about the location that you can also highlight to show how it helps your teaching or research then that might be a way of opening the door to conversations for your family reasons, but frames it within why you are great candidate to learn more about. As someone else said, that is also something your letter writers can build on and make that message stronger.

If you get an interview then there is time to ask the questions and get some real time feedback that you can adapt to and decide how much/what you want to say. If you don't get a phone/skype interview, and you did your best to make the argument based on your professional merits, then it's unlikely that the life needs would have tipped you into the interview pool. So, put your energy into connecting with the department/institution mission, the unique parts of the place, the curriculum/training, etc. Stand out because you write a stellar app that will get you closer to your work-life goals. Then decide when you have enough information about *them*  to discuss the family/life/personal needs that will make your life livable and your work outstanding.

on: Today at 06:47:11 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by paddington_bear
Technically the weekend's not over, but I don't think certain things will get done.

Monday
*print out class 1 notes
*print out class 2 notes
*noon mtng?
*print out class 3 notes

Tuesday
*read/prep class 1
*read/prep class 2
*read/prep class 3

on: Today at 06:35:25 pm 
Started by fishbrains - Last post by yeastie
And no eggs. Learned that the hard way when the soon-to-be college grad (see above) was 18 mos old.

Shudder.

on: Today at 06:23:02 pm 
Started by alam9439 - Last post by alam9439
On ABC, Oscars 2017 Roberts, Strahan and Spencer will be joined by special contributors Jess Cagle, editor-in-chief of PEOPLE and editorial director, Time Inc. Style & Entertainment Group, Marie Claire creative director and Project Runway judge Nina Garcia, and Vanity Fair West Coast executive editor Krista Smith.

Oscar fans living in select cities can watch the show on ABC.com or with the ABC app by signing in with a participating TV provider. Once you have signed in, watch at abc.com/watch-live or select Oscars 2017 Live “live TV” in the ABC app.

Oscars 2017 Live Stream The show is available with a participating TV provider in Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia and San Francisco, as well as Raleigh-Durham in North Carolina and Fresno in California

Oscars 2017

Oscar 2017

Oscars 2017 Live

Oscars 2017 Live Stream

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10