• October 26, 2016

Chronicle Forums

October 26, 2016, 3:43:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 03:29:09 am 
Started by protoplasm - Last post by protoplasm
I don't know if anyone's reading the article. It's not specifically saying 'there shouldn't be tenure.' It's saying that if tenure were to go away, most part time adjuncts wouldn't shed a tear. This may surprise many on the tenure track.

on: Today at 02:55:10 am 
Started by see_wolf - Last post by melba_frilkins
power trip

on: Today at 02:53:45 am 
Started by melba_frilkins - Last post by melba_frilkins
Alright, so which famous suffragist should I be for Halloween this year, as I go to a "dress as a historical person" party?

I have a costume, I just need to figure out "who" to be. I've looked at lots of info online, but there are so many women to pick from, I am only getting more and more picky and not coming toward a choice. I'd rather just be a generic suffragist, but the party theme requires to be a specific famous person...preferably a guess-able one with enough clues.

My costume is approximately 1910's. (I will not be bobbing my hair nor wearing bloomers. So anyone known for that look is out.)

on: Today at 02:15:17 am 
Started by zarathustra - Last post by melba_frilkins
hoo hoo!

Goodnight my friends.

Up too late grading. Would've taken half as long if I weren't so darn distractible. But don't blame me, owls are programmed to go after squirrels, right?

on: Today at 12:33:56 am 
Started by shan7218 - Last post by protoplasm
How, aside from your obvious longstanding animus against me, possibly criticize me for adopting the chair's syllabus rules?  He sent me the syllabi of him and several of his colleagues just precisely so I could ascertain what was expected of faculty in this dept., and what the hell would be wrong with my taking his word for things?  I get protoplasm's point, I get it now more than ever, but bait-and-switch scams are unacceptable.

I think the problem is that the syllabus needs to fit the course, the students, and the particular instructor. If the syllabus doesn't fit the way you naturally do things, then it's not going to work for you.

Also, given the fact that students hardly pay attention to the syllabus, just posting something in there doesn't guarantee anything.

Not exactly what we've been discussing, but I think you might be borrowing trouble by running so many things by your chair. Certainly it makes sense to get a sense of what the courses you are teaching are and if there are any particular expectations for them, but I wouldn't consult my chair about class rules and policies or try to make yours conform to those from other classes. There are chairs who like to meddle, but most don't want to spend a lot of time thinking about your class.

In this case, I think that because you asked, the chair looked at that policy and imagined you tossing students out of your class right and left and getting a call from the dean.

An adjunct who digs around to find out exactly what the policies are may often find a plethora of loose ends that have never been tied, and it only creates embarrassment for the chair for them to be exposed. You, the adjunct, cannot assume that the policies are even there. The adjunct they like is the one they hear little about or from.

on: Today at 12:09:11 am 
Started by protoplasm - Last post by protoplasm
A typical department of 15-20 faculty might have 2-3 people near retirement, who aren't doing any research. Their service and teaching are either normal or above average. That's usually about as "bad" as it gets in an average academic unit.

The closest thing to a true "deadwood" employee that my college currently has isn't even faculty at all, but an aged support staffer with chronic arthritis. Ha ha.

If you saw some of the research being published in my field, you might agree that producing the expected number of publications shouldn't be proof that one isn't deadwood. Ditto for academic conference presentations.

on: Yesterday at 11:36:43 pm 
Started by helpful - Last post by helpful

According to Wikipedia: "Splunge is an unincorporated community in Monroe County, Mississippi"

on: Yesterday at 11:28:44 pm 
Started by helpful - Last post by yeahright

on: Yesterday at 11:17:55 pm 
Started by helpful - Last post by helpful

on: Yesterday at 10:54:14 pm 
Started by fiona - Last post by helpful
Vonnegut: "So it goes"

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10