• August 31, 2016

Chronicle Forums

August 31, 2016, 11:48:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 11:35:36 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by protoplasm
<unrelated>

Please put your one-offs in the "one-offs" thread.

I doesn't want to get sucked into an argument.

Frequently there are occasions here on the fora in which you might like to interject one pithy or annoyed comment into a thread, but you doesn't want to get sucked into an argument, have that thread turn up forever on your "show replies to your posts" page, get dragged into a general trainwreck, or publicly announce your association with an unpopular opinion or action.

This thread is for the one-offs you would like to post in other threads but are choosing not to.

You may identify the thread if you like, but it is not necessary (and in fact we might be better off not).

Here's my first one:

Do you really, really want to go there?

VP

on: Today at 11:19:41 pm 
Started by lucky_day - Last post by kron3007
You already have a job you like.  Is the grass really that much greener that you would gamble that?

on: Today at 11:19:06 pm 
Started by odessa - Last post by vkw10
This is a stupid FSA question.

Can I, or can I not, set aside money to pay my premiums for health care?

My HR rep insists that such premiums are automatically pre-tax. But all the literature I read on flexible spending accounts tells you to put aside funds to pay these very premiums.

Help?

You may be mixing up an FSA and a HSA. The FSA is for people with more traditional health insurance plans, has a lower annual contribution limit, and has a maximum $500 carryover. The HSA is for people with high-deductible health insurance, has a higher annual contribution limit, and doesn't limit carryover.  FSA money can't be used for premiums. HSA money can be used for some premiums. See IRS pub 969 for details.

I've noticed that writers often conflate the FSA and HSA. They advise socking away money in FSA to pay premiums after retirement, but the FSA doesn't allow much carryover, so they must be talking about HSA.

on: Today at 11:16:56 pm 
Started by argiles - Last post by kron3007
I guess there isn't a strong reason to stop, but a weak to medium reason to stop is that if you make it to phone stage once,
but then you continue to apply and get no attention, then I think they probably are just not interested. Of course, when in doubt, just AFTDJ, but in all probability, after 3 for 4 times, they don't want you for some reason (and it might not be anyone's fault---you just don't fit their needs).

This assumes that the search committee is the same.  While this may be true, and even likely, it is not for sure.  No reason to stop applying if you are interested IMO.

on: Today at 11:01:28 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by southerntransplant
<unrelated>

Please put your one-offs in the "one-offs" thread.

on: Today at 11:00:07 pm 
Started by argiles - Last post by goaswerfraiejen
N times, where N = the number of times it's advertised.

on: Today at 10:59:39 pm 
Started by neutralname - Last post by southerntransplant
PhD's have the musical taste of truck drivers only more confidence in it.

Is that right? You have something against truck drivers?

on: Today at 10:53:48 pm 
Started by CLAlva - Last post by larryc
What are your career goals?

The thing to remember about even the best Ed.D. is that it will always be seen as a sort of "Ph.D. lite," by anyone who holds an actual Ph.D. It is the minimum possible doctoral degree (except perhaps for Leadership Studies.) To which you can reply--"f*** 'em! I got mine!" so long as you are currently in a position that will allow you to advance internally with an Ed.D. But if your career goals extend farther than the gates of your present institution, and especially if you ever want to be faculty, look towards a Ph.D.

on: Today at 10:46:15 pm 
Started by lemonbar - Last post by larryc
Hats off to whomever has been working to keep the Wikipedia page halfway objective.

on: Today at 10:43:52 pm 
Started by crazybatlady - Last post by vkw10
Baked cod, with a drizzle of orange-ginger sauce
Hulless barley cooked in vegetable stock, with a bit of shredded carrot for color
Green beans
Jicama, carrot, and bell pepper slaw
Nectarines
Water

Not exciting, but the first healthy dinner I've had this week. The hulless barley has enough fiber to avoid blood sugar spikes, so I regularly use it instead of rice.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10