• December 11, 2016

Chronicle Forums

December 11, 2016, 5:55:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 05:54:54 am 
Started by paul_robeson - Last post by leobloom
I wouldn't; in fact, I used to post my old exams on my website and show them to students. (I do projects rather than exams now, so it doesn't apply anymore.) I find the whole state-secrets level of security around old exams kind of ridiculous. Way back when I was a student there were rumours that certain ethnic groups of students had an internal network for distributing old exams; I have no idea whether it was true or not.

When I was studying in Far Away Land, some central part of the university admin was responsible for administering all finals.  One consequence of this was the library had copies of the past five years of exams for almost all courses.  Psychology 101 and probably a handful of other classes had a printed page where their exams should have been saying something like "Ha ha ha tough sh!t." 

Didn't catch that. Care to explain?

on: Today at 04:33:29 am 
Started by cmeagher7 - Last post by protoplasm
I guess I'll just ask: is it emotionally satisfying for you to have Trump in office? It can't possibly be ideologically satisfying, since there isn't much ideology beyond a kleptocratic all-in cash-grab gold rush on the White House that's not going to benefit you, me, or anyone outside the nepotistic Trump-connected circuit; they're not even pretending otherwise. I get that it's fun to troll lefty academics, but are you actually enthused about this guy running the country? I'm genuinely curious.
As someone whose hometown was ravaged by the Mexican drug cartels, if he makes good on his promise to build the wall, it'll benefit me and a lot of my family.

And then where will Americans get their illicit drugs? Not only are you a bigot; you lack patriotism.

on: Today at 04:16:14 am 
Started by paul_robeson - Last post by wet_blanket
I wouldn't; in fact, I used to post my old exams on my website and show them to students. (I do projects rather than exams now, so it doesn't apply anymore.) I find the whole state-secrets level of security around old exams kind of ridiculous. Way back when I was a student there were rumours that certain ethnic groups of students had an internal network for distributing old exams; I have no idea whether it was true or not.

When I was studying in Far Away Land, some central part of the university admin was responsible for administering all finals.  One consequence of this was the library had copies of the past five years of exams for almost all courses.  Psychology 101 and probably a handful of other classes had a printed page where their exams should have been saying something like "Ha ha ha tough sh!t." 

on: Today at 03:31:43 am 
Started by Shares with others - Last post by protoplasm
Without outing myself I will describe something so bizarre you won't believe me, using substituted items, but essentially accurate, as to the overall image, that has been going on for many years.

Imagine students doing wood shop in a classroom that is filled with chairs with attached desks, and nothing else. The chairs have to be moved out of the way; then everyone can come in, bringing their own power tools and work benches, mostly provided at their own expense, and stored in distant lockers and trunks of automobiles. The class is so large it has to be subdivided into smaller groups, in other rooms, with identical layout. Five minutes before the classes are done, everything has to be returned to its original position, so the next faculty member, as well as the one before me, will have no indication whatsoever that anything different was/will be done in the rooms.

In the length of time this has continued, the campus buildings have almost doubled in number. Have I complained? Of course not. That's why I'm still working. You can tell a lot from a little if you use common sense. When your work, and you, and your students, are devalued, it's part of a plan, and your attitude is an important piece of that plan.

I would never have believed this could happen if you had told me about it when I was in high school. As they say, you can't make this stuff up.

It's embarrassing. But then, it didn't happen to me, and I didn't put up with it. Protoplasm did. Stupid whore, who will endure anything for a few bucks and the chance to be called 'professor.'

Not that I'm complaining.

on: Today at 01:24:46 am 
Started by tasl4312 - Last post by tasl4312
In case you are working an Web enterprise, you want an electronic mail record. Having an electronic mail record goes hand in hand with offline companies having a mailing record! If you happen to aren't advertising and rising a relationship with  personal personal record of purchase email list  you want to take action. Concentrating simply on product and forgetting about your purchasers is not a enterprise, you have bought a pastime if that is you.
There are various vital information about proudly owning your personal record of subscribers and your personal record of shoppers in case you are working a enterprise on-line. For these working an Web enterprise, having your personal private record of purchasers normally means extra revenue. That is the case in case your prospects had been delighted with their previous buy and you've got earned the suitable to have them belief you.
Cupon Code : la4232524
Having an electronic mail record isn't solely worthwhile in case you have shaped a relationship and a long run enterprise friendship, it means you could stay again and again out of your present gives so long as many of those gives are of direct curiosity to your record of subscribers. That is also referred to as an optin-list within the Web advertising trade.

Within the offline world, this is named a mailing record. Native mailing lists normally are available not less than three totally different varieties. The businesses who supply them give you many choices. Among the many widespread ones are phone quantity and identify of the individual. An alternative choice is the identify of the individual and the road tackle of the prospect and the third most frequent and in-demand bundle normally bought is the focused offline leads that present you the mix of road tackle, identify, and telephone quantity.

The significance of proudly owning your personal mailing record is in line with the identical ideas of an electronic mail record from the Web! These are, supply your buyer one thing that satisfies a necessity or a want, have them fill out a easy type with their identify and primary private info for a future follow-up, after which ship. The key key right here is following-up with the prospect.

The important thing secret for many people being, not many entrepreneurs follow-up efficiently with their acquired leads or really do one thing with their leads in any respect. Most of them personal a pastime or plainly do not care a few hidden asset they already personal that they do not use to the proper diploma.

If you happen to personal a mailing record or an electronic mail record and have used them, you recognize that upon mailing and requesting one thing, most frequently you get a response. The response for a lot of entrepreneurs being, they normally purchase or maintain visiting your info loyally for those who present good info. Nonetheless, it's typically troublesome to accumulate an enormous record of subscribers from scratch, be it a mailing record offline or be it a web-based record.

Top-of-the-line choices is renting an inventory or shopping for one. There are software program packages and programs in place for leasing you a share of their subscriber's database so long as you assist the proprietor construct the system record. One other accessible methodology to accumulate a subscribers record is to purchase them immediately from sources that pre-qualify leads for you prematurely. You save time and typically, you make cash when advertising to the bought record when the time is true. When all else fails, search for a strong lead era course that gives a number of avenues on tips on how to construct your personal record.

on: Today at 01:21:06 am 
Started by azv105 - Last post by tasl4312
In case you are working an Web enterprise, you want an electronic mail record. Having an electronic mail record goes hand in hand with offline companies having a  purchase email list  .If you happen to aren't advertising and rising a relationship with your personal personal record of clientele, you want to take action. Concentrating simply on product and forgetting about your purchasers is not a enterprise, you have bought a pastime if that is you.
Cupon Code : la4232524
There are various vital information about proudly owning your personal record of subscribers and your personal record of shoppers in case you are working a enterprise on-line. For these working an Web enterprise, having your personal private record of purchasers normally means extra revenue. That is the case in case your prospects had been delighted with their previous buy and you've got earned the suitable to have them belief you.

Having an electronic mail record isn't solely worthwhile in case you have shaped a relationship and a long run enterprise friendship, it means you could stay again and again out of your present gives so long as many of those gives are of direct curiosity to your record of subscribers. That is also referred to as an optin-list within the Web advertising trade.

Within the offline world, this is named a mailing record. Native mailing lists normally are available not less than three totally different varieties. The businesses who supply them give you many choices. Among the many widespread ones are phone quantity and identify of the individual. An alternative choice is the identify of the individual and the road tackle of the prospect and the third most frequent and in-demand bundle normally bought is the focused offline leads that present you the mix of road tackle, identify, and telephone quantity.

The significance of proudly owning your personal mailing record is in line with the identical ideas of an electronic mail record from the Web! These are, supply your buyer one thing that satisfies a necessity or a want, have them fill out a easy type with their identify and primary private info for a future follow-up, after which ship. The key key right here is following-up with the prospect.

The important thing secret for many people being, not many entrepreneurs follow-up efficiently with their acquired leads or really do one thing with their leads in any respect. Most of them personal a pastime or plainly do not care a few hidden asset they already personal that they do not use to the proper diploma.

If you happen to personal a mailing record or an electronic mail record and have used them, you recognize that upon mailing and requesting one thing, most frequently you get a response. The response for a lot of entrepreneurs being, they normally purchase or maintain visiting your info loyally for those who present good info. Nonetheless, it's typically troublesome to accumulate an enormous record of subscribers from scratch, be it a mailing record offline or be it a web-based record.

Top-of-the-line choices is renting an inventory or shopping for one. There are software program packages and programs in place for leasing you a share of their subscriber's database so long as you assist the proprietor construct the system record. One other accessible methodology to accumulate a subscribers record is to purchase them immediately from sources that pre-qualify leads for you prematurely. You save time and typically, you make cash when advertising to the bought record when the time is true. When all else fails, search for a strong lead era course that gives a number of avenues on tips on how to construct your personal record.

on: Yesterday at 11:34:32 pm 
Started by pollinate - Last post by crunchy_frog
incarnation

on: Yesterday at 11:32:52 pm 
Started by tortugaphd - Last post by tortugaphd
Please make sure to share how your interview went!  I really hope it works out for you!

Thank you for following up.  I got back yesterday from my interview.  Altogether, I felt like I did ok.  I was satisfied but not ecstatically happy with it.  Afterwards, I could pinpoint 2 questions posed during the 2 days I was there that I probably could have answered better.  But I put in my best effort, and now it's out of my hands. 

The experience of being somewhere else and having positive interactions with people lifted my spirits.  Even if no offer comes out of this, I will have been happy to have shared my work and interacted with others in this way. 

on: Yesterday at 11:31:17 pm 
Started by kaysixteen - Last post by protoplasm
So I am sending another round of cold-call adjunct c.v/ cover emails to appropriate depts, have expanded my search radius to schools up to about an hour's drive from home.  I send a guy one yesterday and got an very pleasant email back, within at best an hour of my sending mine.  He had nothing for upcoming semester but said he was pleased to keep my resume on file... fine, probably best I could hope for in most all of these cases.  What concerned me however was his saying that, excepting last-minute emergencies, his dept likes to take care of all adjunct needs 'a year out'... i.e., I gather, they would want to hire now for Spring 2018 semester?  I can see hiring a ft vap a year out if you know now that Prof. X will be on leave then, but who is really going to accept a single-course adjunct offer, at usual adjunct wages, a year out?  Is this SOP or even somewhat common practice?  Obviously it seems to go without saying that anyone offering me such a gig a year out may well find I would accept... only to back out perhaps even at the last minute or at least anytime within that year, should something better come up...

I'd be absolutely amazed to find out any part time adjunct has a signed contract well before the start date, absent a union that can get this done.

I had a signed contract for adjunct work, in my (barred by state law from faculty unionizing) state system.

Then, months later and a couple of weeks before the semester -- because every such contract has an "out" -- I had the contract torn up in front of me.

Right; it's not really a contract at all. It's a tentative plan to work together, and should that work happen, the amount paid will be $X. There is nothing enforceable until they give you the green light to go ahead and begin the work. That's when the semester is underway or immediately before. At that point you should be able to use the contract to get payment if you had a problem.
Doesn't stop the idiotic one-off's though.
Therefore, Kaysixteen could continue to check in in his standard polite and professional manner, because the faculty who are expected to be available may pick up a prospect they prefer in the meantime.

on: Yesterday at 11:27:21 pm 
Started by Shares with others - Last post by daniel_von_flanagan
Blackboards? Like with chalk?
We buy our own chalk.  I don't like the departmental chalk, so I bring my own to class.

Occasionally I'm forced to teach in rooms with whiteboards.  There are never working markers in the rooms, and I seem to be the only person on campus who discards markers when they stop writing.  When I leave the room (a) I take my own markers with me, and (b) there are no markers - working or otherwise - for the next instructor. - DvF

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10