• March 27, 2017

Chronicle Forums

March 27, 2017, 8:28:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:20:48 pm 
Started by archman - Last post by secundem_artem
Apparently United Airlines does not want to see your tushy either

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/business/united-leggings-passes-dress-code.html

on: Today at 08:15:07 pm 
Started by cmeagher7 - Last post by puget
When I was an undergrad, psych majors had to take intro, developmental, abnormal, research methods, and statistics.  Since then, I think they've added history/systems and some sort of cognitive/neuro psych.

Seems to me the APA had a required core, but maybe that was only for grad students. 

APA has power only over clinical psych PhD programs, which they accredit. Maybe not even that much longer-- there is now an alternative Clinical Science (emphasis on the science) accreditation which the top programs are quickly acquiring. For now everyone must still knuckle under to APA because of internship and licensing requirements, but as soon as internship sites and licensing boards start accepting CS as an alternative a lot of these programs will almost surely drop the APA accreditation, which the see as burdensome and out of date.

History/systems has disappeared from many departments (I think it is still technically in our course catalog, but no one has taught it for years and we have no plans to offer it again). The "systems" are all antiquated relics of the grand theory phase of the field before it became a real science, and history of psych would be interesting as an intellectual history course in the history department but doesn't have much relevance to the current state of knowledge and practice in a quickly changing field.

on: Today at 08:09:36 pm 
Started by archman - Last post by kaysixteen
Coke schools have to do that because they have to teach their kids the professional skills and protocol the employers who hire them will demand.  Many of these kids are also interning during high school too.

on: Today at 07:55:32 pm 
Started by crazybatlady - Last post by mamselle
No chemhusband tonight so I'm thinking homemade nachos!  Shredded beef, cheese, jalapenos, refried beans, tomatoes, lettuce and sour cream.

How do you usually serve a chemhusband, with fritters or wrapped in a burrito?

Sorry...

;--}

M.

(Oh, and me, I'm having a Cobb salad, hot tea, and cookies.)

on: Today at 07:55:06 pm 
Started by atalanta - Last post by arty_
an email sent one minute before start of class. Class is about three hours long.

I am not going to be in class today as I have forgotten that the project was due today along with bringing the [needed supplies]. I am about to head to [a city 90 minutes away]  in order to retrieve the [ Project  that is due today] in order to finish it.
I hope to make it back before class ends [ did I mention the city is 90 minutes away?] and finish adding color to it.

I am certain you will be surprised that the student did not make it back in time. And naturally missed the critique, the lecture and the demo while racking up an eight absence for the class (6 absences earns a grade of F).Oh, and the project that was due last month has not been turned in either. But, the student managed to write this email.

on: Today at 07:50:14 pm 
Started by mountainguy - Last post by mamselle
Dean, you cannot dump all of the admin work from three other offices in our division onto our dept. secretary.  I know one of those secretaries quit (after only 7 months--everybody but you could immediately see that you never should have hired her to start with) and the other two are going to have surgery.  But even though enrollment is down, that doesn't mean that there isn't still work to be done, and putting an extra (3 x that work) onto our secretary--who has always been far and away the best of the four--is NOT cool.

She's been here for 35+ years and is getting ready to retire; please don't push her to do so early. If/when she does go, those of us in the department will be truly screwed.

These are the times when a good temp pool could help out, but folks are often too cheap to use it.

I recall (when working as an EA while doing my grad work owing to idiotic errors in financial advisement) my having to be away for awhile with a research grant.

I was able to find and hire a decent temp to cover for me, trained her the week before I left, and came back after my grant trip was up to find a huge pile of paperwork all over my desk.

"What happened," I asked my boss, "Did she quit? Why didn't you email me, and I'd have gotten someone else."

"Oh, no," he said rather loftily, "After you left, I let her go, we didn't really need her."

I stared at him. "Really?"

"Sure, it saved money that way."

And he was usually one of the good guys...

M.

on: Today at 07:40:27 pm 
Started by tuxedo_cat - Last post by mamselle
Yes.

Cat-fur dances should all commence forthwith.

At times like this I miss Llanfair.

M.

on: Today at 07:34:50 pm 
Started by drsyn - Last post by mamselle
Gee, you're in charge of a lot of real estate. That must at least make you a provost or something.

In other news, I'm in a study room in the library. I might even get some of my own work done.

on: Today at 07:31:33 pm 
Started by bacardiandlime - Last post by San_Joaquin
It varies about as much as the academic search, depending on the skills of the search chair. 

About half of the posts I applied to I never heard from, at all.  A few rejected me months after I had accepted an offer and begun a new job.  At that point it was just funny, but at least they had enough courtesy to follow up.   

Then there were the approximately 30% who were wonderful, human, organized and communicative.  Those are places you might want to go interview them for fit.

It is my not-at-all humble opinion that automated HR software is a very bad filter for administrative searches, and probably loses more good candidates than it keeps.  YMMV.

Try to treat it as a hobby, cast your CV upon the waters, and then forget about it while you apply and apply again.

SJ

on: Today at 07:30:06 pm 
Started by archman - Last post by mamselle
Accurate as the Beeb tries to be,  the whole fuzy interface between public and private schools, in the US and the UK, and what they call a college and what we do, might have gotten mixed up in the mess.

Still can't pull up GMaps where I am, but I think that's the issue, and yes high schools have dress codes here, sometimes.....or not.

M.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10