• September 25, 2016

Chronicle Forums

September 25, 2016, 10:10:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 10:04:31 pm 
Started by overthejordan - Last post by helpful
Okay, got it. Penn State won't get any calls this year. Great. Can we just move on and crown the winner of OSU-UMich the conference rep for the playoffs this year?
There is no guarantee that the Big 10 will get a team in the playoffs this year as there are five Big conferences and small conferences too that could conceivably get into the playoffs. Plus who said Wisconsin can't make the Big 10 championship?

on: Today at 09:55:46 pm 
Started by spork - Last post by protoplasm

Nevertheless, prospective students and their parents are being advised to look closely at the college of their choice's contingent faculty hiring. This article is a bit more positive than some. Sometimes they just say 'avoid adjunct faculty when possible.'

http://www.forbes.com/sites/noodleeducation/2015/05/28/more-than-half-of-college-faculty-are-adjuncts-should-you-care/#2600266a1d9b

You're conflating different things here. Suggesting that colleges who have a large number of their courses being taught by adjuncts might provide a different experience for students is not the same things as suggesting that students should never take a class with an adjunct. On balance places that employ a lot of adjuncts are going to have less institutional continuity. Adjunct instructors are more likely to be overburdened, less experienced and less aware of institutional norms.

Of course these things are all [on average[/i]. Any particular adjunct might be a better instructor than any particular tenured track faculty member and these deficits don't apply to lots of adjuncts who are experienced, dedicated etc. I wouldn't advise a student to avoid adjunct faculty. I'd tell them to ask around about different faculty members.

I haven't ever surveyed my whole class about my employment status, but when I've had occasional conversations with the rare student who is interested in the career trajectories of their professors, I usually have to explain what it means that I'm an adjunct professor. I don't think the vast majority of my students ever think about my employment status. I certainly don't think they work harder for tenure track faculty...

There are a bunch of pieces to this question. Office space is only one. Students' impression of your employment status is only one more.
If Lyndon Parker were still posting on the forum he could reiterate that he believes adjunct faculty are responsible for grade inflation and that people who hire more than the absolute minimum of adjunct faculty are irresponsible. Although no one else that I know of gave that same blunt assessment, I also know that no one said much of anything in rebuttal when he did.
I also don't know that he would be correct or incorrect. It would be interesting to know. That's all I'm saying. I'm not being rude.

on: Today at 09:52:10 pm 
Started by dr_dre - Last post by nescafe
This week, I accidentally auto-generated a request for a letter of rec that I hadn't formally asked for yet. The letter writer was gracious about it (and thank god) but boy, was my face red.

Really? I do that all the time. My letter writers are each writing 30-60 letters for me this year, and have written a few dozen already. I try to give them a heads up, but most prefer a day of/day before "send this letter now" email, or he request system does it for me.

To be clear: this was a fourth recommender who I had not approached about writing for me this year.  They did not yet know that I was planning to ask them for a letter this season. Lucky for me, they graciously sent the letter and overlooked my faux pas.

on: Today at 09:51:54 pm 
Started by sign7676 - Last post by sign7676
I've been asked from time to time whether I have tenure in my current position, and I'm not sure which answer (yes or no) is more accurate. I am currently looking to move to a university position, and I know this is something potential employers will want to know, too.

My current position is at a government research institute in Australia. My contract says that my position is "indefinite". If they decide that they no longer need my skills, my employer can make me redundant, but would have to pay me a redundancy package of about 27 weeks salary in addition to paying out 17 weeks of accumulated leave, and the process would take about 3 months, during which they would be obliged to try to find me an alternative position within the organisation (if that was what I wanted). Despite this, my employer does regularly make people redundant, so it's not as though it couldn't happen. They could also fire me if they were unhappy with my performance, but again, that's a fairly drawn-out process that would take about a year unless it was for a flagrant code of conduct violation.

So: would you say it is more accurate to say that I have tenure, or that I don't?

on: Today at 09:40:38 pm 
Started by t_folk - Last post by geonerd
The things that I do just don't matter
I made a pound cake with no batter
The cake did not rise

on: Today at 09:39:56 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by geonerd
unrelated-
I'm mildly curious about why that spammer thinks that separating all of his letters with dashes is an effective strategy to camouflage spam.

on: Today at 09:39:24 pm 
Started by SanchoP - Last post by SanchoP
Watermarkup,

Thanks for the further explanation of how you arrived at your topic. At the moment, I have two side projects that interest me a great deal. One is somewhat related to my first book, while the other is totally different. I'll probably explore both of these for a year or so, with the aim of producing an article or conference paper. If one of them comes to passionately interest me, which seems likely, I'll pursue it as a book project. Perhaps it will be the one that has a few connections to my first book. That indeed will help a bit. Nonetheless, I agree with you entirely that the most important factor in choosing the next book project should be the motivation to write on a particular topic. Although my institution's limitations on research bother me at times, on a positive note, with no pressure to publish, I do have the luxury of time and can pretty much work at my own pace.

on: Today at 09:28:53 pm 
Started by prim6347 - Last post by prim6347
Kitchens For Sale South Midlands Area UK GO to www.cheapkitchens.uk.com

on: Today at 08:45:39 pm 
Started by johnr - Last post by cc_alan
... I would try to do my homework in the middle of the night and get stuck because I didn't understand something and my professors wouldn't put anything online.  But perhaps that was because there wasn't an easily accessible "online" like there is now?

on: Today at 08:41:19 pm 
Started by fred2058 - Last post by fred2058
Hello everyone.  The topic of my thread does not apply to many people but I'd appreciate insight from multiple people or direction for resources.

I'm a unique case - I recently received my Ph.D. and I'm a clinical investigator (not MD). I have an amazing academic job market due to my small but specialized field, and significant strong demand for faculty members. There are so few people obtaining their Ph.D. in my field versus the number of faculty openings, and it is estimated 1/3 of faculty openings won't be filled per year. Additionally, I was productive during my graduate studies (9 publications, funded fellowship, several scholarships) and just began a postdoc, which my mentors say make me competitive for R1 universities in my field.

I am looking for advice on how to navigate my academic job search to the maximum way possible. Specifically, I've been contacted by 3 chairs of faculty search committees with a personal request to consider applying for a position and some asked to meet with me during an upcoming conference. During previous meetings, other faculty from medical schools have informally asked me how I would feel about working at their institution and what my dream job would be in relation to their department.  How do I best handle these conversations to keep all opportunities open yet also convey that I would like to finish my postdoc first?

I would particularly like to know how to the game as best I can. As an example, I would probably focus on only 1 major job search and apply to many programs to ensure that I am still "desirable" and that negotiations may be better when search committees know I have a few offers (hopefully, right?). If I can get the best possible startup package I can, I'd obviously like to go for the gold, within reason of course. Also, I would really like to avoid situations where I am sweet-talked to an unreasonable level and read between the lines of the best fit, knowing that many search committees are likely going to butter everything up based on the strong demand for more hires.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10