• February 25, 2017

Chronicle Forums

February 25, 2017, 8:54:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:50:45 pm 
Started by hikaritokage - Last post by mindwand
Hi,  I feel and hear you (and see you -- sounds like you had a narc mum like me; they're the worst), I had abuse from both parents and last year was epic in dealing/coming to terms with it and dx with CPTSD (a couple of years earlier I became a parent, in the same year I started my lab, was not a good situation). By end of last year I had leave which some colleagues sneared at, while others were very supportive (in my experience disclosure helps although, as usual, people probably thought I was exaggerating - be careful who you tell, being dismissed is brutal (and kicks up old feelings too). Now (on leave) I've been dx with two autoimmune disorders (I'm only disclosing to chair) - given I'm worried this could be a career killer - but already from friends/family having something 'physical' somehow validates things for them ("well I wasn't sure what to make of it, but I can see that you really are suffering.."...go figure!). The fact that I'm in Psychology/neuroscience is even more galling (i.e., surely there should be some understanding), but that's another topic. You are not alone and don't let your past beat you...you made it this far, chin up, keep going (and yes, you are valid in feeling like you do, take comfort from others share your experience [unfortunately], battle on warrior!). Psychoanalysis is helping me a lot (can help us earn secure attachment too)

on: Today at 08:33:26 pm 
Started by clean - Last post by vkw10
$2.04 today.

on: Today at 08:32:04 pm 
Started by grasshopper - Last post by vkw10
Oh, the
Is there a difference between Northern and Southern pies? I'm on the side of cherry/blueberry/apple/lemon myself, and haven't even heard of most of these dairy-sounding pies myself.

Southerners bake fruit pies, too. Most places that serve pie offer apple, cherry, blueberry, lemon, and maybe a chocolate cream. It's harder to find good custard pies, so I buy them when I can. My grandmother kept a dairy cow and hens, so she often made custard pies to use excess milk and eggs. Her strawberry, peach, and fig pies were delicious, when we could talk her into using some of the harvest for pies instead of preserves.

on: Today at 08:26:55 pm 
Started by gennimom - Last post by mindwand
Hi,  I have just been dx with lupus and sjogrens (although battled through symptoms for years, so somewhat slow progress but realizing now that pushing through is bad).. fixed term (research based--PI on grant, and teaching) and obviously hoped to go on TT...not sure if this is realistic/possible now..also a mother to a young child...any advice welcome.

on: Today at 08:20:24 pm 
Started by grad_geek - Last post by mamselle
All good thoughts!

M.

on: Today at 08:17:28 pm 
Started by minorleaguer - Last post by minorleaguer
This is all really useful feedback, thank you.

on: Today at 08:01:12 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by mamselle
Tour prep started, missing one resource book, need to print handouts tomorrow.
More work on Prop.1
Tour on Mon. will springboard wk on prop2.

Do more prep for upcoming workshop
Do job1 catchup stuff, still.

Start taxtasks

M.

on: Today at 07:58:03 pm 
Started by academicpop - Last post by ruralguy
To this I'll follow up by saying you can provide any personal reason that isn't too offbeat. It could be a hobby I suppose, and IMHO,
I think you can mention family reasons, but don't say it like that.  I think at a smaller school, particularly a lower ranked one, you're mostly safe from those who will be afraid you'll be on some sort of parent track, mostly because people find it very acceptable to make time for family.  It might be s bigger problem for a school that expects you to be publishing and getting grantsvevery minute.

on: Today at 07:42:49 pm 
Started by drsyn - Last post by yellowtractor
I completed and e-mailed two letters of recommendation today.  I also filled out a form, saved it as a PDF, and e-mailed it.

on: Today at 07:40:02 pm 
Started by hulkhogan - Last post by yellowtractor
It may be a border. Click in the header. Go to the home tab, paragraphs section, click the drop-down arrow for borders, and select No Border.

I believe this feature was disabled in one of the recent executive orders?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10