• August 28, 2016

Chronicle Forums

August 28, 2016, 11:40:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 11:34:40 pm 
Started by LaPlage - Last post by proftowanda
you can list the book under works/books in progress, especially since you haven't secured a contract. I'm not sure if I agree with the comment that it has to be  in print to be listed under publications, which seems to be overstating the case. If the (first book manuscript has been delivered to a publisher and has entered into the copyediting phase,  it is perfectly acceptable to list it under publications as forthcoming ( I have never heard of case where the editors rejected an ms. at this stage) .  If you have published more than one book (or multiple books as I been fortunate enough to have done) and have a good relationship with the editor/publisher, then a book under contract can be listed under publications.  But this latter arrangement is of course a judgment call, one based on the strength and trust you have built up with this publisher and how far along the ms is. But I would add that this fear of overselling oneself can also lead to an underselling of oneself, which may be far worse a condition in today's market.

Reread: The OP not only has not secured a contract, but the OP has not even submitted the manuscript.

So, the rest of the above also is not relevant. 

And so: In the cover letter, not on the c.v. -- and OP, take this contact from the publisher as incentive to move along fast on readying that manuscript for submission.  Staff can change often at publishers, and that contact can be gone, and nobody else may know about this indication of interest.  Ask me how I know. . . .

on: Today at 11:08:51 pm 
Started by terpsichore - Last post by tuxedo_cat
Savory kugel is awesome  -  our family likes it so much better than the sweet kugel. The recipe I use is similar to the one you linked, but with a couple changes that I think probably make it even better  e.g. more onions and the individual servings have a little brown crispness on top http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/browned-onion-kugels-231507

Oooh. . . that looks wonderful -- how did I miss it on epicurious?  hmph.   I don't have a muffin pan at the moment, but I'm tempted to get one just to make the kugel this way.  And that other recipe looks pretty amazing, too, mouseman : )

on: Today at 11:02:16 pm 
Started by terpsichore - Last post by mouseman
I'm wondering if someone could explain noodle kugel to me.  I've been tempted to make this recipe from epicurious but I'm a bit confused about what the dish is, exactly.  Is it meant to be a main dish?  a side dish?  a dessert?  It seems rather sweet for something to have as part of a main meal.  I'm partly curious about what the tradition of the dish is.

Following up on the kugel:  so I tried out the kugel above and . . . I think I just don't like the combination of egg noodles and sugar.  It's good, but not my thing.

I do like the idea of a custard-like noodle combo, however, and I found this savory noodle kugel recipe which looks like a better alternative for my preferences.

Savory kugel is awesome  -  our family likes it so much better than the sweet kugel. The recipe I use is similar to the one you linked, but with a couple changes that I think probably make it even better  e.g. more onions and the individual servings have a little brown crispness on top http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/browned-onion-kugels-231507

I agree - go for the savory. An exception is Jerusalem Kugel: http://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/jerusalem-kugel-recipe/

It goes best with Middle Eastern pickles in brine.

on: Today at 10:53:06 pm 
Started by gronbecksalpha - Last post by gronbecksalpha
Thanks everyone. This is helpful advice. Now, the stress of preparing for the job talk! :)

on: Today at 10:29:38 pm 
Started by psychdiva - Last post by glowdart
So it has started - the nights sweats, the hot flashes. I could deal with the heavy bleeding and the irregular periods, but this latest phase is a pain in the a$$.
So glad to have this thread. I have seen it for a few years and in the back of my mind kept noting that soon I would be reading it. Sigh. I've started reading through, but it is taking a while. I have a question that I hope it not been answered too many times already...
Does anyone have any advice for flashing while lecturing? I start classes tomorrow and plan on wearing a skirt and a tank. No need to take a sweater anymore for the too cold a/c on the subway!

My gyn recommended vitamin E and the pill, but my bad hot flashes are particularly bad. I avoid hot coffee before teaching, and some of my colleagues have had to go off all caffeine before class. A number of my colleagues have also bought really fancy hand fans. Good luck.

on: Today at 10:19:18 pm 
Started by spork - Last post by zakb1144
I cannot thank you enough for the blog . Really thank you! Really Cool.
hotmail sign in

on: Today at 09:59:10 pm 
Started by JustTime - Last post by untenured
My unfounded guess is that "from the same institution" means faculty who are currently employed with you at the same university. The 'no collaborators' statement takes care of folks you research with.

The journal wants to maintain objectivity, and the rules are in an effort to make that happen. If you submit names of reviewers and have one that contradicts their rules, it's conceivably possible you'll be able to convince them otherwise if you can show conclusively there is no likelihood of bias in the review.

on: Today at 09:51:03 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by mouseman
[unrelated]

I'm growing weary of forumites who fly off the handle every time that topic comes up.

Desserts are IMPORTANT.

But only if they are cake.

on: Today at 09:42:22 pm 
Started by mouseman - Last post by mouseman
So far, the job has been insane. The number of things that I am expected to learn in a short period of time is insane. It is a crash course in project management and 3752 other things. Luckily I have a place closer to work so I don't have to spend so much time and energy commuting from my parents' home.

Still, as i gain more understanding if what's going ion, it gets more interesting.

It's also daunting - two weeks into the job, and I was sent out to the desert to decide whether a major energy company is allowed to dig in a  specific location so that they can fix their electric system and get energy flowing again to their costumers. No pressure, dude.

Oh, golly, project management?

That's where you get to be the cadmium rod in the reactor, absorbing all the crazy nutrinos running around not listening to each other.

Once you get the hang of it, it's a very good transferable skill to have. I think there's a collegial organization for it, too, might need to poke around a bit to find it, though.

Bon chance!

M.

Less so at this job, since project management is dependent on the focus of the project, so if it is a generally biological assessment, a biologist would be PM, while if cultural resources was the focus, an archaeologist could be PM. However, the bio project may need an archaeologist, and the PM of the cultural resources project would be the archaeologist for the bio resources project, and vice-versa. This means that people generally treat their PMs well, because they know what will happen if they happen to be a PM on a project, and need the other person's expertise.

Of course that doesn't help with the craziness of clients or subcontractors...

on: Today at 09:07:43 pm 
Started by the_swede - Last post by proftowanda
I agree as to meeting with the student, which often has shown that our DS office's accommodations are more than the student needs or wants -- and such students suggest other options that have worked and will work better for all of us.

You also might ask, when you have described the format of your class, whether the student has taken a similar class at your campus, and if so, ask for the colleague's name.  Talking to other teachers, not admins who never have taught, can be useful. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10