• October 24, 2016

Chronicle Forums

October 24, 2016, 1:15:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 12:57:35 am 
Started by firstbook - Last post by firstbook
You will not get a complete contract until the reviewers have read your complete manuscript.
Yes I am aware of that.

1. Somewhere between 30 seconds and 6 months. It seems to depend largely on whether your proposal got lost in a stack under the editors desk while she was out of town for a week and never found a chance to look at that stack until Christmas. But an interested editor can in fact move quickly.
If the editor doesn't like the proposal (or worse, the cover letter) will they even care to read the sample chapter? How long do editors at a coveted UP take to get in touch if they want to move to the next stage? Do UPs take 6 months to make a decision?

on: Today at 12:37:58 am 
Started by see_wolf - Last post by dr_know
South Carolina

on: Today at 12:36:43 am 
Started by pollinate - Last post by dr_know

on: Today at 12:35:26 am 
Started by see_wolf - Last post by dr_know
Office Depot

on: Today at 12:17:27 am 
Started by snow_badger - Last post by snow_badger
My background is primarily in humanities disciplines, but this semester I am teaching a class of all pre-nursing students in an FYE cluster of courses.  I have heard back from one of the other instructors for the Nursing course paired with my Composition class, and -- as I was kindly advised by many of you here -- there is a fair bit of emphasis on making sure that students learn APA citation style.

I have relied on the Purdue OWL site for other courses for  many years and found it a useful and generally very reliable guide for undergraduates.  Their APA section, however, leaves a lot to be desired.  The other instructor has recommended this guide to APA style citation posted by Lake Sumter Community College, which is certainly much more thorough than what OWL has posted.

However. . . I just scrolled through the guidelines and found almost 20 errors or inconsistencies in that guide -- most of them pretty minor (not italicizing a vol. #, or forgetting to abbreviate a first name to an initial), but that feels like a LOT of minor errors.  The sheer number of problems in simple proofreading (that haven't been corrected since 2010) makes me worry a little about the accuracy of the guide overall.  

It also seems excessive and horribly redundant -- like, is it actually necessary to include the phrase [Electronic source] when you end an entry with information about the database you got your source from?  Do faculty really want to see long, messy URLs in a citation?  or the library database you got your source from (like JSTOR?? seriously?).  Maybe that's just how APA rolls.

For those more familiar with this citation style, especially teaching it in a sensible way for undergraduates, I would be very happy to  know what you think of the Lake Sumter guide -- or if there are even better guides out there.  

on: Today at 12:17:21 am 
Started by socalkayaker - Last post by systeme_d_
I recommend against it.  It looks like you just earned it yesterday, and you're trying to tell as many people as possible.  

As Mended_drum noted, in academia advanced degrees are assumed.  Practically everyone has them.

on: Yesterday at 11:55:48 pm 
Started by socalkayaker - Last post by cc_alan
Some of my colleagues at the community college where I work list their degrees, but others do not. I can't seem to find a consensus on the proper protocol of this anywhere. Thus, I would greatly appreciate any input.

What would be the reason for putting the degrees in one's sig? Not snarky. Curious. (And what MountainGuy wrote)

For me, if it's someone at the college then I often just sign with my first name (we have an easy to navigate online phone directory). If it's someone outside of the college with whom I haven't interacted then I'll put my full name and title. If it's someone with whom I have interacted then I go back to my first name.

on: Yesterday at 10:57:03 pm 
Started by moebius_strip - Last post by ruralguy
It doesn't appear to me that there's any craziness here at all on either side. OP simply doesn't wish to remain in China for very long.

I can't speak to the exact cost benefit analysis of whether N more papers will help you more in the job market than random skill X,
such as Chinese fluency, but after a point one more paper on the pile fails to be a distinguishing feature, even for some R1s, but
especially as you drift away from R1s.

on: Yesterday at 10:40:27 pm 
Started by socalkayaker - Last post by pink_
I list the Ph.D. I'd rather not, but after then first dozen Mrs. emails (and I'm not married), it's just easier to have it in the signature. It hasn't eliminated the problem entirely, but it does seem to help.

on: Yesterday at 10:34:16 pm 
Started by rowan1 - Last post by goaswerfraiejen
Student paper doesn't just fail to cite, but its list of works cited includes (among its four sources) a site that sells pre-written papers. Sigh.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10