• February 24, 2017

Chronicle Forums

February 24, 2017, 3:30:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 03:18:14 pm 
Started by tred4270 - Last post by tred4270
Cecilia Braekhus vs Klara Svensson Live stream

42nd cÚsar awards en direct streaming

on: Today at 03:16:14 pm 
Started by orio2187 - Last post by orio2187
I have heard that there is often a very different process than what you might expect. Sometimes the interview will bring all the candidates together where they will participate in some kind of talk/joint interview/discussion. No idea if this is true in this case, but I would try to get clarity on exactly what is happening at the visit.[/quote]

That would be awful. Nothing to that effect was mentioned, just asked for my bio/abstract for the talk so they can send out an invite to the rest of the faculty of that dept. The SCC graduated from my UNI way back, but he's not in that dept. or my field. I've asked for clarification on the process and if there are any other stages of the interview but I've not heard back yet after giving them a possible date after which I can come.

on: Today at 03:15:35 pm 
Started by burger_king - Last post by youllneverwalkalone
This.

Either do the R&R or submit to another journal.

on: Today at 03:14:44 pm 
Started by rtyd3644 - Last post by rtyd3644
BrŠkhus Svensson live stream

BrŠkhus Svensson live streaming

on: Today at 03:07:52 pm 
Started by annmarie - Last post by ruralguy
The hardcover photo-books that you can self-design are fairly nice, and you can probably make them
out of hard copy pictures if you are willing to scan them (or get a professional to do it if you are afraid of
damaging anything).

You can also make movies as well (as in, animated power point sort of thing).

on: Today at 02:48:09 pm 
Started by fizmath - Last post by wahoo
It seems unlikely that honesty will affect the administration in question. And it is possible that admins know perfectly well the problems they have caused you (although sometimes we all need to adopt new textbooks) and they certainly understand the pay issues.

However, I have long felt---and numerous posters have posted this---that the reason academia is able to treat adjuncts they way it does is because we are willing to take what is given (and yes we all understand the conundrums of funding, supply and demand, FT vs PT  work, etc.). So maybe it is worth speaking up even if there will be someone to step into your place on fairly short order.

Good luck.

on: Today at 02:38:32 pm 
Started by academicpop - Last post by ruralguy

This is  definitely school dependent.

Most R1's probably couldn't care less (though I doubt a brief mention would hurt).

At my so-so SLAC in a rural area, we might very much appreciate you mentioning this, especially if you otherwise
make a case for fit elsewhere.

All in all, depending on the reason, you might want a letter writer to fill in gaps. If its because you grew up there and all that, people will easily understand and you can probably just say that yourself. If its a "messier" reason involving difficult subjects (divorce, illness, death..) then I would not mention details in a cover letter.  Just say "In addition to what I know would be a fruitful career, I know that family circumstances would lead to more growth and enjoyment for them as well" [or words to that effect].

on: Today at 02:32:19 pm 
Started by fizmath - Last post by ruralguy
If  they ask, you might want to tell them, but you are right, it could burn bridges.
Unless they ask, I would just nicely say that you are going on to other opportunities.

on: Today at 02:30:30 pm 
Started by figee - Last post by conjugate
Q:  Why are you accusing Professor Bellows of teaching inappropriate political ideas?  You aren't in his department!  How do you even know what he's teaching in his classes?

A:  The key is finding the set of all points closer to the center than to the edge.

on: Today at 02:26:59 pm 
Started by drsyn - Last post by conjugate
I have dealt with one binder; there are twelve left to go.  Also a test to write, and a political Thing to be dealt with (but that can wait).  What else?  There's always something else... Oh, and a wad of papers to grade.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10