• October 1, 2016

Chronicle Forums

October 01, 2016, 8:10:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:01:14 am 
Started by johnr - Last post by aside
And one landline, corded, actually have to dial numbers phone per house. Perhaps a party line even.

And the phone book. The phone book was important.

I remember when . . .

. . . my grandmother's phone in a rural town had no dial; you just picked it up and spoke to the operator.

. . . your phone number was not all numbers, but began with two letters.

. . . a futurist came to speak at my elementary school in the1960s and told us someday we would all carry phones in our pockets wherever we went.  I could not imagine such a thing; wouldn't all the cords get tangled together?

on: Today at 07:37:25 am 
Started by _touchedbyanoodle_ - Last post by wet_blanket
Hmm, not an expert, however plenty of experience showing up at starting lines undertrained, overtapered, and fighting injury.

That's encouraging (I'm assuming you crossed the finish line as well).

What kind of total mileage have you been running from week to week?

Not enough!  3-6 miles /week not including the long run.  Long run started at 5 miles and worked my way up to 9 last weekend.  I'm also averaging about 50 miles/week on the bike, if that counts for anything.

And is this your first half? 

No, it'll be my third.  But the last one was last year and it may as well be my first in terms of my fitness level when I started training.

How are you feel, both physically and mentally going into this next week?

Feeling good.  I was a bit tired the day after my last long run.  I'd been dreading it and so it was a nice mental bump to get through it comfortably.

... if I'm feeling good and have been doing well with the plan thus far, I see no reason not to trust it and keep following it.

The thing is, as you can tell from my mileage, I haven't really been following the plan at all.

Anyway, it seems like there's a consensus that I shouldn't sit on my couch all weekend!  I'll try for the ten tomorrow and see how I go.

on: Today at 07:03:13 am 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by bacardiandlime
Now we have one just posting random strings of letters. I don't understand what that gains them.
The Black Magic love doctor though: if he were an academic job market magician, he might get some business here!

(its definitely a time of day thing: they all appear overnight, European time - whatever member mods there are in Europe and Asia don't check in every day. )

That is not particularly good logical reasoning, given that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. This morning, for example, all overnight spam had been zapped by the member-moderators by 7:00 a.m.

In what time zone? I logged on at 9AM (London time) and spam was everywhere.

It would not necessarily be reasonable to expect member-moderators to stay home simply to police the fora for your reading convenience.

You chose to make that personal very quickly. I wasn't assigning blame, or making a demand: it's an observable fact that there are fewer member-mods regularly online in Europe than North America (I can see who the users are online, and click their profiles to see their status).

We also seem to be plagued by higher volumes of spam than in earlier years. There were many times (around 2008) when I would regularly be one of only two or three members online (I was in Asia), and while spammers and trolls existed, I wasn't facing the tsunami of spam which now seems to appear daily (and this was before the "member-mod" role existed, so everything got zapped during business hours for CHE staff).

on: Today at 06:52:53 am 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by theblondeassassin
Now we have one just posting random strings of letters. I don't understand what that gains them.
The Black Magic love doctor though: if he were an academic job market magician, he might get some business here!

(its definitely a time of day thing: they all appear overnight, European time - whatever member mods there are in Europe and Asia don't check in every day. )

That is not particularly good logical reasoning, given that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. This morning, for example, all overnight spam had been zapped by the member-moderators by 7:00 a.m.

It would not necessarily be reasonable to expect member-moderators to stay home simply to police the fora for your reading convenience.

FYI, the baba-ji spam has been appearing at all hours, there just are more member-moderators around during US hours so more continuous coverage.

if you are seeing a lot of spam, that might be a place where another member-mod volunteer would be useful.

on: Today at 05:14:10 am 
Started by sign7676 - Last post by orange23
It will make you look desperate. You might be desperate, but you don't ever want to look desperate.

on: Today at 04:36:07 am 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by bacardiandlime

on: Today at 02:42:32 am 
Started by venerable_bede - Last post by anla5629
I have worked at DO and MD schools for decades.  DO and MD accreditation will be one in the near future and they are trying to prepare for the time to come.  DO students are far better compared to 10 years ago and there is not much difference between MDs and DOs.  However, most DO schools are un-ranked in many of the media ranking systems. Standards are very solid in MD schools, while DO schools often have highly variable standards-- they have administrators for clinical practice but does not have clinical backgrounds. That is my surprise.  An interesting trend is DO schools highly value Anatomy among basic sciences, but MD schools similar to graduate school treat it as one of those or rather lower.  Ph.D. are treated better in DO schools. At MD schools, ph.D. are more or less treated as secondary or often avoided because they cannot provide clinical practice when something goes wrong; otherwise, they should be strong enough to get big grants. 

In my opinion, DO schools are far active in education, and mostly teaching institutions.  About 60% (correct me) of the DO graduates become mostly primary care physician.  In MD schools, education is one of many activities.  I still hesitate to choose DO as my physician and indeed a worse reputation I heard is from DO (I am afraid that is from the school I taught sometime ago, but was not for my students).  DO will become very competitive soon.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10