• May 24, 2017

Chronicle Forums

May 24, 2017, 7:44:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 07:42:53 pm 
Started by dr_dre - Last post by nescafe
I have a meeting tomorrow in a research institute in the east coast, I got the meeting through my networking, not sure if there is an actual position there or their meeting me to make one of my mentors happy

Hoping for the best

Fingers and toes crossed, treeoflife. Rooting for you!

on: Today at 07:40:16 pm 
Started by dr_dre - Last post by treeoflife
I have a meeting tomorrow in a research institute in the east coast, I got the meeting through my networking, not sure if there is an actual position there or their meeting me to make one of my mentors happy

Hoping for the best

on: Today at 07:36:02 pm 
Started by prit4788 - Last post by lucky_day
First of all, very few faculty jobs have sick days/personal days. You just work those things out during the school year.

I have both sick and personal days in my TT job. We have to use them if we have to cancel a class for non-work activity. Most people just bank them over time and then donate them to a campus-wide emergency pool that those with particular needs (e.g., diagnosed with cancer) can tap into.

My point is that sick/personal days are a think even in academia. Maybe not a common thing, but still a thing.

on: Today at 07:34:31 pm 
Started by melba_frilkins - Last post by cmeagher7
"People have been sharing pictures for thousands of years..."

Cave wall... Facebook wall... it's all the same thing.

Hey! Handprints count as pictures, don't they? They're hanging on the walls and/or stored in the picture albums (if not embedded in the sides of driveways, sidewalks, and/or pools) of countless proud parents. I'm not gonna try to tell a one of them that they don't count. Are you?

(Besides, "thousands of years" only takes us back to 1817. Actual photos from cameras don't post date that by much.)

Checketh out my ample bosom, rocking my empire waist gown! Am riotous in pantaloons, NSFW!

on: Today at 07:29:20 pm 
Started by zuge2079 - Last post by zuge2079
Arrow season 5 Finale 2017 En vivo

Arrow Season 5 Episode 23 Full online

Watch Arrow Season 5 Episode 23 Full online

Watch Arrow Season 5 Episode 23 Full online

on: Today at 07:09:15 pm 
Started by drsyn - Last post by vkw10
The microwave beeped, so I shall soon discover what kind of casserole I froze without labeling it.

What type was it?  Please tell - I'm having a thread-inappropriate response to the suspense.

Summer squash casserole. Served it with country ham, cornbread, and sliced tomatoes.

on: Today at 06:30:05 pm 
Started by fiona - Last post by geonerd
I just came across The Trump Documents on The Onion. I like the Trump boys' idea for flying go-kart.

on: Today at 06:04:20 pm 
Started by fiona - Last post by geonerd
I'm just hoping he makes it back to us without destroying a major international relationship.

I'm only hoping for the second part but not the first part.

Ooh,  me too. Though I'd also take the latter if it meant the absence of the former.

If the latter causes the absence of the former, then the absence of the former might even undo the latter that caused it. Win all around.

Not all around. We would still have McConnell, Ryan, and Pence.

No. We'd have Pence, Ryan, and Hatch. McConnell is the majority leader in the Senate, but that's not a position in the line of succession. Hatch is the President pro tempore in the Senate. He, not McConnell, is third in line. (Not that that makes it any better, but it's accurate -- no matter what John Oliver said.)

I never claimed McConnell was part of the succession. You applied your own interpretation to my post and corrected a non-error.
I wrote "We would still have McConnell, Ryan, and Pence."

As in, we would still have McConnell, the awful Senate majority leader, Ryan, the awful Speaker of the House, and Pence, the awful replacement for Trump.

on: Today at 05:53:09 pm 
Started by prit4788 - Last post by hegemony
I'm confused about the start date of March 1.  Do they mean for you to start in the middle of a semester?  Or is this in some other country where the academic terms are different from the U.S.?  Or how does it work?

on: Today at 05:52:18 pm 
Started by rowan1 - Last post by professor_pat
Headbang du jour: Distracted Student has turned in almost everything late. She missed three classes in a row, and her last test was a 48. So she's teetering on the edge as it is.

Students' research proposals were submitted 6 weeks ago. DisStu proposed a topic only tangentially related to the class subject. (Think, if the class is on identifying species of saltwater reeds, student proposes a study of gender differences in basket use.) In my comments, I noted that and told her she should refocus on the aspect that did relate to the class subject.

Students' research papers were due two days ago. This is a second deadline for those who don't plan to revise (the first deadline was three weeks ago). This deadline was extended by 5 days to give me time to discuss the paper in class.

DisStu emails me after our field trip on the recent due date, saying she didn't realize it was due that day. Her past latenesses mean she has no free late passes left, so I suggested she check her records for that. She'll incur a 20% penalty for lateness alone.

DisStu submitted her paper today. You can see where this is going. Its subject is unchanged from her proposal 6 weeks ago, and the CMS suggests that she never looked at my comments. She's a sweet young woman, but has been quite distracted by "life events," as she's put it. I ache for her, but I can't see my way to allowing the paper topic to pass. Bangbangbang.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10