• September 30, 2016
September 30, 2016, 9:32:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Student Issue  (Read 14553 times)
erzuliefreda
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 1:19:58 am »

Lots of folks, including me, identify as white and Latina. I am from California. It's not about "passing," (have we stumbled onto the set of Imitation of Life?) but about acknowledging a complex reality.

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 12:57:47 pm »

Lots of folks, including me, identify as white and Latina. I am from California. It's not about "passing," (have we stumbled onto the set of Imitation of Life?) but about acknowledging a complex reality.

I identify as blonde and Latina.

Oh, okay, so it's not natural. Big deal.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
forego324

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 1:05:37 pm »

It took extensive research online, but I was able to access the policies concerning Affirmative Action at my college. The written passages refer only to matters of sexual and racial bias discrimination; nothing is written about bullying. This is confounding, as neither of those areas of alleged discrimination applies to what transpired between the complainant and me.
professor_pat

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 1:47:35 pm »

OK, so it seems to be emerging that your question relates to your being accused of race-based bullying; is that correct? Are you asking whether you can legitimately be subject to legal action via AA on that basis?

To me, forums are more of a relaxing period in which the poster can allow himself or himself to be lost in a sea of wonder.
forego324

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 2:05:39 pm »

OK, so it seems to be emerging that your question relates to your being accused of race-based bullying; is that correct? Are you asking whether you can legitimately be subject to legal action via AA on that basis?

I am assuredly not being coy when I say that I have no clue as to what charge(s) has/have been brought against me. I will know much more this coming week when I meet with the AA Officer and a union rep.

I will say that the complainant should have been written up by her regular instructor prior to the day of the incident between her and me for negative actions that transpired not only on that day but also on the other times that I sub-taught the class. The regular instructor confirmed in a chat with me that the complainant did/does do disruptive things in the classroom. However, nothing in writing has been tendered to any office on campus concerning the behavior, even though the complainant has violated one and possibly two sub-categories of the college's Code of Conduct. I was especially patient with this student's troublesome nature on the prior occasions where I interacted with her in the classroom because I was not her regular instructor and because I know from experience when subbing for this complainant's regular instructor that the latter is not keen on enforcing any type of classroom policy that might discourage such behavior.
forest_and_the_trees

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 6:10:33 pm »

Color me confused.
adjunctprincipessa

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 10:57:17 pm »

I'm really sorry - it seems as though you would probably need to reveal too much information for us to be able to provide any substantive and helpful advice in this forum.  As a previous poster mentioned, you might want to speak to a union rep if there is one at your institution.  If not, perhaps  a sympathetic tenured faculty mentor could be asked for advice if you are certain you can trust their discretion and support.  Whatever you do, when you are asked questions, just try to relate facts (student x said y and then z happened).  Don't offer your opinion  about why anything occurred, just try to objectively state what happened and only tell your motivations if they are not clear.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 11:27:54 pm »

Talk to your union person before you talk to anyone else. If you have to meet with the dean or someone, bring your union person.

forego324

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 11:54:05 pm »

I'm really sorry - it seems as though you would probably need to reveal too much information for us to be able to provide any substantive and helpful advice in this forum.  As a previous poster mentioned, you might want to speak to a union rep if there is one at your institution.  If not, perhaps  a sympathetic tenured faculty mentor could be asked for advice if you are certain you can trust their discretion and support.  Whatever you do, when you are asked questions, just try to relate facts (student x said y and then z happened).  Don't offer your opinion  about why anything occurred, just try to objectively state what happened and only tell your motivations if they are not clear

I did meet with a union rep today and related the incident. He was pleased with my forthrightness and that I came across as thorough, contrite and willing to make things right. However, the meeting among him, the AA rep, and me, scheduled for this week, has been delayed until sometime next month. As T. Petty sang, "The waiting is the hardest part."

Oh, and my most pivotal question was answered, thereby putting this thread to threadbare: Yes, bullying, or perceived bullying, is on the AA menu.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 12:19:41 am »

OP, is someone bullying someone who is a member of a protected class (race, gender, disability, etc.)?

Uh, I guess so. The alleged bully is a male Caucasian, and the alleged victim is a white Latina.

OP, Most Latina women with whom I am friends would not consider themselves "White".

Most of the older Latinas I know call themselves white and are not at all pleased to be considered non-white although they are just fine with being called Latina, because they are.
Maybe you only know youngsters who have a more raised consciousness and want to identify with their ethnicity instead of their race. Most Latinos refer to themselves with a reference to their country of origin rather than either "Latino" or "white/caucasian."

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 5:34:57 am »

OP, you are just going to have to kill the students. We don't normally talk about it, but every academic has to bury a body to earn tenure. This thread may prove useful: http://ask.metafilter.com/7921/If-you-killed-somebody-how-would-you-dispose-of-the-body-without-getting-caught

I can be happy anywhere I have a little money and the cops aren't after me--I'm still searching for this place.
forego324

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 8:22:14 am »

OP, you are just going to have to kill the students. We don't normally talk about it, but every academic has to bury a body to earn tenure.

The unhappiest part of your advice is that nearly all of student-dumb will perceive it as, well, dead serious and I would be arrested by Public Safety.

And here I thought that the road to tenure went through plagiarism and departmental backstabbing (of the figurative kind).
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 3:54:58 pm »

OP, is someone bullying someone who is a member of a protected class (race, gender, disability, etc.)?

Uh, I guess so. The alleged bully is a male Caucasian, and the alleged victim is a white Latina.

OP, Most Latina women with whom I am friends would not consider themselves "White".

Most of the older Latinas I know call themselves white and are not at all pleased to be considered non-white although they are just fine with being called Latina, because they are.
Maybe you only know youngsters who have a more raised consciousness and want to identify with their ethnicity instead of their race. Most Latinos refer to themselves with a reference to their country of origin rather than either "Latino" or "white/caucasian."

Hehe. You only become a Latino/a when you cross the border into the US. Before that, you were Mexican, Honduran, Colombian, and so forth.

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 12:42:55 pm »

Larry, you have clearly been drinking my (adulterated) coffee.  If you haven't yet built up a tolerance, you should seek medical help immediately.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
forego324

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 8:34:18 am »

Third scheduled meeting postponed. I guess AA has greater wrongs to right. That, or the AA rep read Larry C's comments, checked out the link, and got all soft and squiggly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: