• August 26, 2016
August 26, 2016, 4:10:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 3277 3278 [3279] 3280 3281 ... 3644
  Print  
Author Topic: Lonely Hearts Club  (Read 5928970 times)
prytania3
Distinguished Senior Member

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49170 on: November 29, 2012, 1:46:51 am »

I hope to meet an over-educated, well-spoken outdoorsy aging jock with a big heart and a fondness towards big dogs and smart independent women. Someone who has a happy full life, but wants to enrich his life by sharing it.

Be warned: I have an activist streak that parlays into fun. I've walked homeless dogs at shelters, helped start a community garden, and hiked many miles doing wilderness surveys. Although I have a little mad scientist in me, I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in a good  sci-fi novel or on muddy, wet trails, or eating pie in some little cafe down by the water.

I'm friendly and freely ask for directions when I travel. I can schedule in a grand adventure every once in awhile, but right now my traveling is mostly close to home (day or weekend trips).

My town is not far from Big City.    It would be fun to show each other around our home turf as part of getting to know each other.  What would you show me first in your stomping grounds? 

I just woke up. I think you are almost there. MY two cents. The parts that are bold mean I like the first version better. Don't like the term "smart independent woman,"

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
canyonwren3

« Reply #49171 on: November 29, 2012, 2:24:19 am »

Last stab: wow this is short!

I hope to meet an over-educated, well-spoken outdoorsy aging jock with a big heart and a fondness towards big dogs and bright, active women. Someone who has a happy full life, but wants to enrich his life by sharing it.

I have an activist streak that parlays into fun. I've walked homeless dogs at shelters, helped start a community garden, and hiked many miles doing wilderness surveys. Although I have a little mad scientist in me, I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in a good sci-fi novel or on muddy, wet trails, or eating pie in some little cafe down by the water.

My town is not far from Big City.   What's your favorite place to show off to friends from out of town?  It would be fun to show each other around our home turf as part of getting to know each other.   
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49172 on: November 29, 2012, 8:38:26 am »

I hope to meet an over-educated, well-spoken outdoorsy aging jock with a big heart and a fondness towards big dogs and bright, active women. Someone who has a happy full life, but wants to enrich his life by sharing it.

Although I have a little mad scientist in me, I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in a good sci-fi novel or on muddy, wet trails, or eating pie in some little cafe down by the water. I have an activist streak that parlays into fun. I've walked homeless dogs at shelters, helped started a community garden, and hiked many miles doing wilderness surveys.

My town is not far from Big City. What's your favorite place to show off to friends from out of town?  It would be fun to show each other around our home turf as part of getting to know each other.   

Wren, I moved the mad scientist before the activist part because I dig the mad scientist line.

You're almost there, but it's missing something now. I know. It seems like what you primarily like to do is hike. I think you need to add one or two more things you like to do. Maybe someone else on the thread will have some ideas. I can't 100% put my finger on that one extra thing you need to add.

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49173 on: November 29, 2012, 8:48:24 am »

I liked that mad scientist line so much, I put it at the top. But I still think you need to diversify your interests in that first paragraph.

I'm ixnaying the guy I talked to on the phone. He sent me a skeevy email. Got another email from someone potentially interesting, though and need to reply to Red this morning.

Although I have a little mad scientist in me, I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in a good sci-fi novel or on muddy, wet trails, or eating pie in some little cafe down by the water. I have an activist streak that parlays into fun. I've walked homeless dogs at shelters, helped started a community garden, and hiked many miles doing wilderness surveys.

My town is not far from Big City. What's your favorite place to show off to friends from out of town?  It would be fun to show each other around our home turf as part of getting to know each other.

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49174 on: November 29, 2012, 8:51:46 am »

Wren, maybe you should start it with, "Although I'm a mad scientist...."

I love that.

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49175 on: November 29, 2012, 9:33:03 am »

Oh s***. Red wants to send me a piece of his writing. This echoes back to the days of my 20s when all my dates would say the same thing, "Wanna read my screenplay?" NO!

Granted, he's a lovely writer, but no, I don't want to read anything anyone has written (unless it's an email to me or a post on the CHE or an essay by a student for which I'm paid). I really don't. That said, if I don't say, "Terrific, send it on," I'm probably blowing my chances with Red.

The problem with writers is that they always want you to read their work; although, I never did--but I think I'm an exception.

canyonwren3

« Reply #49176 on: November 29, 2012, 10:55:45 am »

Pry, you are brilliant. Thanks. This is a frighteningly brief profile.  I do have (under For Fun, and Favorite Hotspots) other interests that make me sound well-rounded (for someone with a grading pile up to the ceiling).

Capt. Duck sent me some of his writing (unsolicited).  The subject material was engaging, however the writing was not. Maybe Red is a brilliant writer, but it seems premature (and also in the Free Medical Advice category - oh you are a prof, tell me what you think of this 600 pg tome).

Wren
literarylioness13

« Reply #49177 on: November 29, 2012, 11:12:16 am »

Oh s***. Red wants to send me a piece of his writing. This echoes back to the days of my 20s when all my dates would say the same thing, "Wanna read my screenplay?" NO!

Granted, he's a lovely writer, but no, I don't want to read anything anyone has written (unless it's an email to me or a post on the CHE or an essay by a student for which I'm paid). I really don't. That said, if I don't say, "Terrific, send it on," I'm probably blowing my chances with Red.

The problem with writers is that they always want you to read their work; although, I never did--but I think I'm an exception.

I never gave my writing to love interests. It puts them in a jam.

You're going to have to answer this very delicately. I would say something fun and snappy like, "I don't know you well enough to read your writing, but I hope to get to know you better."

Mary
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #49178 on: November 29, 2012, 11:15:55 am »

Pry, meet him first. (You didn't meet him and I missed it, did I?)

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #49179 on: November 29, 2012, 12:27:21 pm »

Oh s***. Red wants to send me a piece of his writing.

"Haha!  Not a good idea.  At this point in the semester, it would come back covered in red pen, and with 'PASSIVE VOICE' written in the margin!"

or

"At this point in the semester, I only read if someone is willing to pay me!"
literarylioness13

« Reply #49180 on: November 29, 2012, 12:29:08 pm »

"Haha!  Not a good idea.  At this point in the semester, it would come back covered in red pen, and with 'PASSIVE VOICE' written in the margin!"

or

"At this point in the semester, I only read if someone is willing to pay me!"

Too true!

or something like, "I didn't know you were so kinky. Should I get a special red pen for you?"
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:30:45 pm by literarylioness13 » Logged
cgfunmathguy
Beer-brewing

« Reply #49181 on: November 29, 2012, 1:23:15 pm »

I like almost all of it, but as Pry said, it primarily says "I like to hike". Here's my edit:

Although I have a little mad scientist in me, I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in a good sci-fi novel or on muddy, wet trails, or eating pie in some little cafe down by the water. I have an activist streak that parlays into fun. I've walked homeless dogs at shelters, helped started a community garden, and hiked many miles doing participated in wilderness surveys.

My town is not far from Big City. What's your favorite place to show off to friends from out of town?  It would be fun to show each other around our home turf as part of getting to know each other

I don't think you're missing anything except a closing with which you're comfortable, but I'm not coming up with anything I'd use or want to see.

Alas, greatness and meaning are rarely coterminous with popular familiarity.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49182 on: November 29, 2012, 1:45:19 pm »

Wren, I still like starting it off with Although I'm a mad scientist. That's a great opening.
Also throw the concerts in that paragraph.

Okay, so it's not just me that is bothered by Red's desire for me to read his writing. It doesn't help that it's the end of the semester; moreover, if I were dating a CPA, I wouldn't say, "Wanna do my taxes?" People must think that because your an English professor, you're just dying to read everything anybody ever wrote.

But I like this line: I don't know you well enough to read your writing, but I hope to get to know you better.

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49183 on: November 29, 2012, 2:06:53 pm »

Although I'm a mad scientist, I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in both sci-fi novels and muddy, wet trails, and eating pie at waterside cafes.  I have an activist streak that parlays into fun. I've walked homeless dogs at shelters, started a community garden, and participated in wilderness surveys. I spruce up well and find culture at concerts and museums. I love to travel: daytrips, weekend jaunts or grand adventures to Tasmania.

My town is not far from Big City.   It would be fun to show each other around our home turf.

Okay. This is the best I can do. I am adamant the profile should start with being a mad scientist, though. I'd answer an ad starting with that in a second.

cgfunmathguy
Beer-brewing

« Reply #49184 on: November 29, 2012, 2:16:41 pm »

Although I'm a mad scientist, I'm good at goofing off, hanging out on the back deck, getting lost in both sci-fi novels and muddy, wet trails, and eating pie at waterside cafes.  I have an activist streak that parlays into fun. I've walked homeless dogs at shelters, started a community garden, and participated in wilderness surveys. I spruce up well and find culture at concerts and museums. I love to travel: daytrips, weekend jaunts or grand adventures to Tasmania.

My town is not far from Big City.   It would be fun to show each other around our home turf.

Okay. This is the best I can do. I am adamant the profile should start with being a mad scientist, though. I'd answer an ad starting with that in a second.

I like it.

Alas, greatness and meaning are rarely coterminous with popular familiarity.
Pages: 1 ... 3277 3278 [3279] 3280 3281 ... 3644
  Print  

Jump to: