• February 24, 2017

Chronicle Forums

February 24, 2017, 10:12:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 09:51:40 pm 
Started by whistle_nut - Last post by alleyoxenfree
Belief in fake searches is positively correlated with number of rejections and years on the market.

No, understanding of the existence of fake searches is positively correlated with number of years on the market.

I've been in at least three, two very early on, which I didn't understand were fake. With that experience, I did see the third fake search coming but I went to the teaching demo anyway for the experience (I wanted to brush up skills that year) and to learn about them. The offer went to the internal candidate it was obviously written for - as had the others - but I took another job without regret, having learned about them.

IME, the tell-tale signs are a job description written with extreme specificity, often matching the background of one of their adjuncts or post-docs, and they state a policy of not reimbursing for campus visits.

on: Today at 09:47:12 pm 
Started by hulkhogan - Last post by vkw10
It may be a border. Click in the header. Go to the home tab, paragraphs section, click the drop-down arrow for borders, and select No Border.

You can change the amount of header space when you set custom margins, but that probably won't remove the line.

on: Today at 09:38:54 pm 
Started by spork - Last post by aandsdean
Does anyone else hear echoes of possible diversion of funds in the behavior of the folks who just up and left, and the suggestion of a possible investigation? Sounds (or smells) a bit fishy, no?

M.

Yes.

Also, where were the auditors?

on: Today at 09:36:32 pm 
Started by geoteo - Last post by mamselle
Put out a soft brie or camembert with the crackers, to go with the terrine at the end of the meal, as well as a bit of cool crabmeat salad.

If the terrine is too worky or not available at your nearby charcuterie for purchase, you could do a chilled tomato aspic, and a cold cucumber soup (cut the cukes up well so chewing isn't an issue).

Ciabatta with three kinds of bruschetti (tomato, artichoke, and black olive might be colorful) is another option, the bread is soft, the food is all pre-ground and tasty, but needn't be too spicy if that's an issue,  as well.

I, also, agree that a foodie gauntlet may have been thrown down and a bit of competition hostessing may be in order....all in good fun, of course.

on: Today at 09:33:36 pm 
Started by zoelouise - Last post by vkw10
Today was a most excellent day!

All of my students were on time for class, our guest speaker was engaging, and the students asked good questions that demonstrated they'd read her book.

Three faculty popped in with good news about their research. A's first paper in five years  was accepted by top journal in field, so his mandatory post-tenure review this summer will be pro forma. B received a small external grant and had two papers accepted by solid journals. C's book is in print, well before her tenure dossier has to be sent to external reviewers.

We received permission to do a late search to fill a TT line.

The temporary non-TT line we got as part of a spousal hire deal last year has been converted to a permanent non-TT line. Since the person we hired to accommodate another department has proven to be a solid teacher and good department citizen, I was delighted to offer him a three-year renewable contract which includes a small salary bump. He was pleased, because he doesn't enjoy research and loves to teach.

My brother called, just to chat. The older we get, the more we like each other.

The teen qualified for an excellent free six-week summer residential program. He's thrilled at the prospect of six weeks with math geeks like himself. Partner and teen delivered flowers to the people who recommended teen for summer program, then brought flowers home. I'm very lucky to have both of them in my life.

Today was splendiferous!

on: Today at 09:33:03 pm 
Started by geoteo - Last post by mystictechgal
Piggybacking on Tamiam's tea suggestion: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-throw-afternoon-tea-party

The link suggests set and setting, and gives some tea sandwich recipes. Those are pretty simple and self- explanatory. You could hit up the supermarket for mini cream puffs and/or eclairs. (The frozen ones are pretty good -- just make sure they're fully defrosted.) Depending on the bakery, they might have good scones (though, those aren't too hard to make), &/or some good showprtbread cookies. If you have the time and want to give it a go, here are recipes for both scones and homemade clotted cream. http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2013/08/clotted-cream-scones/

on: Today at 09:22:38 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by mamselle
Yesterday's scanning done, books reviewed for TATTF/alias QQ in some lists.
One para edited, another started, on Prop no.1

Need to do catchup stuff for Job no. 1 tomorrow.
Need to do prep for Mon. tours  tomorrow/Sunday
Try to draft 2 more sections of proposal over the w/e.

Bed now, full day tomorrow, including catchup with a friend, teaching, and dancing in PM.

" 'Night, all!"

M.

on: Today at 09:16:01 pm 
Started by academicpop - Last post by lucky_day
Should I make a short statement, perhaps one sentence, in the cover letter to explain whey I'm moving is due to a family reason?

of course, I also mentioned because the program of the school blah blah...

My current school is great, and no reason to leave, except for a family reason, which is true.

I wouldn't bring it up. Bringing in non-professional reasons for a move is, in my experience, rarely helpful. When I'm on an SC I want my applicants to tell me why my department is a unique and special snowflake, not that their spouse got a fantastic job offer nearby and they're looking for anything within commuting distance. Even if family reasons are the main drivers, I would tell an SC that I'm interested in their department for professional reasons (e.g., you value their commitment to teaching, you are excited to collaborate with Drs. A, B, and C, you think their underwater basket-weaving program is bold and innovative). If you can't find professional reasons to want to be somewhere then look harder.

on: Today at 09:11:23 pm 
Started by lemontree - Last post by lucky_day
My regional public university has a formal policy that we don't provide any information to those who, for example, don't make the phone interview list until we have a signed offer. Then they get a short "the position has been filled" email.

It sucks, but the litigious nature of the current job market makes HR people extremely adverse to any communication with unsuccessful applicants.

on: Today at 09:10:59 pm 
Started by vardahilwen - Last post by mamselle
Oh, thanks, yes, I will be careful.

Since its on a slow subduction zone with infinity, there's always a bit more time.

At least that's what those folks in that restaurant over there keep saying...

M.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10