• September 25, 2016

Chronicle Forums

September 25, 2016, 8:13:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:01:50 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by yemaya
I decided in preparation for the start of term and having students look at my hands all the time as I write on the document cam, that I am going to get a manicure, which I normally don't do (I'd rather splurge on pedicures).

So the all consuming question is:

What color do I get?

I have a particular penchant for purple nail polish, but I like to try and start the term with a "don't mess with me" image. I don't know how successful I am at that, but I think purple might not help. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Depends. I think the right shade of purple can project a "don't mess with me" image - a very dark purple. But this also depends on your skin tone.  My go-to for a more conservative manicure tends towards a mauve or taupe.

on: Today at 07:50:48 pm 
Started by dr_dre - Last post by eigen
This week, I accidentally auto-generated a request for a letter of rec that I hadn't formally asked for yet. The letter writer was gracious about it (and thank god) but boy, was my face red.

Really? I do that all the time. My letter writers are each writing 30-60 letters for me this year, and have written a few dozen already. I try to give them a heads up, but most prefer a day of/day before "send this letter now" email, or he request system does it for me.

on: Today at 07:23:44 pm 
Started by terpsichore - Last post by cmeagher7
This thread is killing me, because I am supposed to be banting. I just love pasta (which partly explains why I have to bant). I love pasta for pasta's sake. In my book, good pasta needs very little accompaniment. I have never gone to the lengths of making my own, but I buy the best brand I can find and I add plenty of salt and some crushed and chopped fresh garlic to the cooking water -- it makes all the difference.

My favorite is linguine or spaghetti with a simple cream sauce. Heat the cream and as soon as it starts to simmer, remove from the heat and quickly stir in an egg yolk to thicken it. Flavor with a pinch of salt, plenty of black pepper and a grating of nutmeg. Add the pasta, toss well to coat and serve topped with shavings of parmesan. And that's it. Divine.

And now, back to banting...

Are you best at banting?  I know; that's a shot in the dark.

Is Banting the new-retro-term for what they are calling Atkins, South Beach, Paleo?

on: Today at 07:23:37 pm 
Started by dr_dre - Last post by mountainguy
I have a general job-market question for forumites.  For the past few years, the majority of TT jobs in my field below the R1 level have been at directional state universities. This year, there seem to be more TT jobs at regional comprehensive private universities (ie, schools bigger than SLACs but still mostly undergraduate-focused in their mission and with a 3-3 or 4-4 load). When writing cover letters for such jobs, should my letter be significantly different than the type of letter I might send to a public university with a similar profile?

on: Today at 07:00:07 pm 
Started by t_folk - Last post by usukprof
Nobody ever misses me! :(

We do too! Glad you are back visiting. It is true things aren't as rapidfire here anymore (sometimes I reach the end of all the updated threads, which seems wrong). But there are still some good and fun conversations going!

+1!

on: Today at 06:21:39 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by paddington_bear
Puppy has chewed through my laptop's power cord. I can add that to the other items he's chewed up: pillows; sweat pants; socks; sweatshirt; potholder.

Saturday
*exercise
*read 100a drafts
*class 100b prep
*read class 1 disc papers

Sunday
*class 100a prep
*class 1 prep
*read at least 5 class 1 papers
*finish 100b prep

semester goals
academic
finish revisions to NP by mid-Dec
finish WH by mid-Dec
personal
read for fun on weekends
reinforce puppy training
keep desktop windows to a minimum

on: Today at 06:18:44 pm 
Started by terpsichore - Last post by merinoblue
This thread is killing me, because I am supposed to be banting. I just love pasta (which partly explains why I have to bant). I love pasta for pasta's sake. In my book, good pasta needs very little accompaniment. I have never gone to the lengths of making my own, but I buy the best brand I can find and I add plenty of salt and some crushed and chopped fresh garlic to the cooking water -- it makes all the difference.

My favorite is linguine or spaghetti with a simple cream sauce. Heat the cream and as soon as it starts to simmer, remove from the heat and quickly stir in an egg yolk to thicken it. Flavor with a pinch of salt, plenty of black pepper and a grating of nutmeg. Add the pasta, toss well to coat and serve topped with shavings of parmesan. And that's it. Divine.

And now, back to banting...

Are you best at banting?  I know; that's a shot in the dark.

on: Today at 06:17:45 pm 
Started by t_folk - Last post by merinoblue
The things that I do just don't matter
I made a pound cake with no batter

on: Today at 06:14:16 pm 
Started by t_folk - Last post by merinoblue
The lonely elk miss DvF.

on: Today at 06:00:01 pm 
Started by overthejordan - Last post by cc_alan
Les Miles fired.

What are the benefits to firing a coach during the season especially when they could have done it at the end of last season but chose not to? The new coach could have started rebuilding this year but now they lose this year and the rebuilding starts next year.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10