• August 30, 2016

Chronicle Forums

August 30, 2016, 10:12:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 09:54:58 pm 
Started by hayduke - Last post by mamselle
Hmmmm...actually, as a survivor, I'm quite comfortable with calling domestic violence a very complex, nasty form of bullying.

See above.

M.

on: Today at 09:28:14 pm 
Started by see_wolf - Last post by happylittletrees
Ming Dynasty

on: Today at 09:25:34 pm 
Started by tuxedo_cat - Last post by happylittletrees
Buddycat is no longer an "only cat"!  I've moved in with my fiance, who also has a handsome tuxedo cat.  It's been just over a week and Buddycat and Mr. Effie have reached tolerant ignoring of each other.  Most surprising is that nearly 18 Buddycat has firmly established himself as the alpha cat, even though Mr. Effie is half his age, twice his weight and the resident cat. 

Yay for tolerant ignoring! I hope that Buddycat and Mr. Effie become fast friends like TreeKitty and ShrubKitty have in a fairly short time. Knock on wood, but so far the only issue has been that TreeKitty discovered the super deliciousness that is kitten food, which resulted in a major case of the runs. As a result we are feeding them on opposite sides of the kitchen island for now so that TK can't see what he's missing. Otherwise, they play together, bathe each other, and sleep nearby. SK is pretty cute in his efforts to curry TK's favor. TK hasn't run around this much in a long time.

Sending good vibes to Buddycat and Mr. Effie!

on: Today at 09:16:42 pm 
Started by busyslinky - Last post by egilson
My clothing is clean, pressed, not badly worn, and neutral enough that it all pretty much matches. I scrupulously groom myself and attend to my hygiene. I do not smell. However, I do look like a dumpy little gnome with thick glasses, so anyone who needs attractiveness in order to learn should drop my class now.

I wonder if I should add that to my syllabus?

on: Today at 08:55:49 pm 
Started by drsyn - Last post by nescafe
I discovered an error in a course syllabus concerning grade percentages. I have fixed the error but wonder whether my students noticed it.

on: Today at 08:40:29 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by egilson
[unrelated]

Thanks for sharing, but if I'm ever in a situation like this (and please, god, let me never be), I'm going to be listening to tenured_feminist.

But she's completely unsound on pie v cake!

MUST you reopen a classic division?  Can't we all just move on and accept...English trifle??

Gateaux.  (Although the wiki-definition for this confection starts out "a rich cake...," which I believe is insensitive to the pie community and also insufficiently nuanced when compared to the dessert in question.)

I'm gluten-sensitive and diabetic, so you all can stuff your pie, cake, and other deserts that aren't a half cup of plain fresh fruit into their respective holes.

on: Today at 08:32:12 pm 
Started by Ginger_sheep - Last post by watermarkup
When I was a recent Ph.D., I worried about distinguishing invited talks from regular conference presentation. Now that several years have passed, and I've actually been invited to give presentations at international conferences at the host's expense, I just list them all under "Conference Presentations." I'm in an MLA discipline and people in other disciplines no doubt do things differently, but these days I suspect that search committees really don't care if I gave a paper at the 17th International Meeting of the Etruscan Society based on an abstract I submitted, or if the conference organizer invited me to present the same paper and paid for my travel. People with SC experience will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but the kind of talks that early-career scholars in my discipline are invited to give hardly seem worth their own category on a CV.

on: Today at 08:19:08 pm 
Started by venerable_bede - Last post by yeahright

There is no difference in any state that I am familiar with, and I don't factor it in to my choice of practitioner. 

For all intents and purposes D.O. = M.D.

Of course the history is different, and much more interesting.

on: Today at 08:07:19 pm 
Started by chron7 - Last post by lightningstrike
The first year after is hard, so know that going in.

Would you mind explaining this a bit? Why is the first year after tenure so hard?

Because after Gilligan gets off the island, there are no longer any interesting stories to tell.

on: Today at 08:05:37 pm 
Started by JustTime - Last post by saramago
Yes, you are not supposed to suggest people who work in the same university as you. No point in trying to track where people got their Ph.D.s. It is a pretty common conflict of interest rule, one also utilized by the NSF.

Good luck!

Agreed.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10