• September 28, 2016

Chronicle Forums

September 28, 2016, 11:22:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 11:05:23 pm 
Started by _touchedbyanoodle_ - Last post by canyonwren3
Hmm, not an expert, however plenty of experience showing up at starting lines undertrained, overtapered, and fighting injury.

Assuming your half marathon goal is to finish, I'd do the 10 miles in a jolly fashion, practice drinking and having gel or whatever else you plan on ingesting during the race.  Then, maybe a nice equally jolly 3 miles on Sunday.  Don't push the 10 miles.  I think the payoff psychologically of knowing you can do 10 miles is worth it. Then just make sure you don't do too much next week before the race.

re lighting I like the idea of having something around my waist (and maybe the handheld) instead of a headlamp - I'll look to see if I can rig a headlamp that way.  There are some fancy and $$ waist lights,
 but I'm on a budget these days. 

on: Today at 10:47:22 pm 
Started by midivory - Last post by johnr
In addition to all of the other factors mentioned, $200K/year is well into the range where wealth just accumulates, if you let it. If you earn $200K and live (very comfortably) on $100K for five years, you can put $500K into investments over that time. Investments generate further income.

Only in a fantasy world with no income tax.

It's the Donald Trump plan.

on: Today at 10:36:24 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by merinoblue
Come on, people!  Medical historians! Canadians!

on: Today at 10:33:35 pm 
Started by terpsichore - Last post by merinoblue
Are you best at banting?  I know; that's a shot in the dark.

I'm not sure I follow your question, but I will say is that banting probably best describes the kind of diet I used to follow in the days when I actually was slim, before I got caught up in the high-carb-low-fat diet trend, which has definitely not worked for me.

Ha. That was my best double-pun in months, and no one got it!  Maybe a Canadian in the room will step up to explain...

on: Today at 10:28:38 pm 
Started by heybeerman - Last post by nezahualcoyotl
In contrast, someone who immediately goes back to the dying town in a dying region to take a minimum wage job that is completely unrelated to a path forward and focuses on personal drama is likely to still be in that minimum wage job with personal drama in 20 years....  Instead, they tend to sink more heavily into the trap of working multiple part-time minimum wage jobs that are physically demanding to support dependents (their kids, other kids, parents, grandparents, 3rd cousins twice removed of their exes' aunt).

I think this is a case of "this disease is beyond my practice." Going back to a dying town in a dying region with no jobs is a legitimate choice, but one that is not their college's responsibility - they're not in villeinage, I assume.

...The kid who goes back home is often fairly angry in 5, 10, or 20 years because college was a waste of money and time.

In such cases college may well have been a waste of money and time, but they'd be more justified in feeling angry at themselves, or possibly at their 3rd cousins twice removed of their exes' aunt.

on: Today at 10:28:31 pm 
Started by tuxedo_cat - Last post by valmor84
This morning when I came out to the main room, Max fulminated at great length about some terrible injustice that had occurred in my neglectful absence.

Sebastian (a.k.a. the Dude) was apparently not involved.

Despite his eloquence, I remain ignorant of the dreadful event.  But breakfast kibble seemed to help.  Perhaps I will be allowed to re-enter the house.

If not The Dude, then:

---it must be something YOU did...even though (or perhaps because) you were Not There
---your absence (and therefore your profound neglect) was The  Injustice; this cannot go unnoted ("evil is done when Good Cats are silent")

Poor Max. He has such a sad situation!

on: Today at 10:23:35 pm 
Started by drsyn - Last post by pareadocs
I'm waiting for the nail polish on my toenails to dry.

on: Today at 10:20:21 pm 
Started by vardahilwen - Last post by San_Joaquin
I love a happy ending, even on the venting thread!

on: Today at 10:18:55 pm 
Started by larryc - Last post by San_Joaquin
We've been having "validation of a previously made decision" meetings all week.  I managed to rough out a pretty solid research project outline while nodding and smiling at the appropriate moments.

No donuts.

on: Today at 10:10:53 pm 
Started by larryc - Last post by mamselle
A co-worker once told of a meeting where the chair suddenly decided to go around the room and find out what each department's representative thought their budget was. Another member of his team, who had just been working on it, emailed him during the introductory request saying she had the first part if he had the second.

They emailed, formatted back and forth while the first 2 groups hemmed and jawed around, trying to come up with something.

When it was his turn, he inserted the projector cable into his laptop and screened the (shiny, new) Excel file.

The chair beamed on him, praised him for his preparedness, and asked how it was that he was so well-prepared.

"Teamwork," he smiled.

M.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10