• October 26, 2016

Chronicle Forums

October 26, 2016, 5:18:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 05:09:37 pm 
Started by systeme_d_ - Last post by watermarkup
AFTDJ. Is there a chance that you will get an interview, get to know the department, and find that their interests and your current interests are actually in alignment? Yes, there is, because all you're looking at now is a job ad. AFTDJ and see what you find out.

on: Today at 05:08:44 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by paddington_bear
My cold symptoms subsided a bit; or maybe my head is so stuffed up and simultaneously dried out that it just seems like I feel better. Of course, now I have cramps, so it's a wash.

*100a prep
*grade 5 100a papers
*grade more class 1 papers

semester goals
finish revisions to NP by mid-Dec
finish WH by mid-Dec
read for fun on weekends
reinforce puppy training
keep desktop windows to a minimum

on: Today at 05:07:29 pm 
Started by protoplasm - Last post by watermarkup
Again, you're generalizing a narrow issue (adjunctification at large, predominately public, universities) with a broad issue (tenure vs non-TT).

SLACs aren't "half-staffed" by adjuncts. Neither are most R1 and even R2 universities.

I haven't interviewed at  or even applied to a single school with more than 10-15% adjuncts, and most of these are spouses of someone tenured/TT at the same institution, or recent graduates passing through for a year or two.

The significant load of "adjuncts as half the work-force" is a figure that gets thrown around a lot with only sparse support, and no realization that it only effects a specific slice of the higher ed segment (public PUIs).

That's the thing about invisible people. You don't see them. But they're still there.

Take a look here for the AAUP's data: https://public.tableau.com/profile/careysargent#!/vizhome/AAUPContingentFacultyIndex/Story1

It's incorrect to say that adjuncts are only a large part of the faculty at a particular kind of school. If you click through the data, you'll see that contingent faculty are everywhere, in all states, at all kinds of schools. If you don't see them when you interview, it's because contingent faculty are not typically asked to meet TT job candidates. If you don't see them at your place, it's because you aren't looking.

For most universities of any kind, "half" is a reasonable approximation of how many of their faculty are contingent. For other universities, it's an understatement.

Go ahead. Go click through the AAUP data.

on: Today at 04:24:50 pm 
Started by mbre6773 - Last post by mbre6773
Orion Code Review

on: Today at 04:16:57 pm 
Started by vardahilwen - Last post by baphd1996
Today I had three students wearing headphones in the back of my lecture class, clearing doing something else. I called them out on it and explained how disrespectful it is to show up and opt-out at the same time, but they couldn't hear me because of said headphones. Even with the rest of the class turning to look, they didn't get the memo.

As my students would say, smack my head.

Quite a few students this semester are constantly on their cell phones even though I repeatedly tell them I don't want to see their phones.  And when I tell a specific student to put his or her phone away, they take that to mean either, "Stop touching it" or, "Put it away for now, but have it out during the next time we meet". It's a constant battle.

And in my larger class, there's always a group of people talking in the back. And when I tell them to stop talking, they do (thankfully), but then another group starts talking. It's like whack-a-mole.  I've about given up on policing talking and cell phone use because it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference.

We're not allowed to call out a student.  It might embarrass them in front of their friends.  We can't take away their phones in case they get an actual emergency phone call. 

on: Today at 04:07:30 pm 
Started by chicago_48 - Last post by melba_frilkins
I still seem to have it.

Me, too. At the top of this thread there are options "Reply, Notify, Mark Unread....".

Though I'm not totally sure what the Notify button does and am afraid to find out.

on: Today at 04:00:05 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by magnemite

I wasn't intending to offend, but rather listing a possibility.  How about Farmall red?

I think there is a backstory involving trauma and the color green, and/or a certain make of tractor. You may be on more solid ground with Farmall red, or Ford blue. Not as sure about Allison-Chambers orange.

on: Today at 03:47:46 pm 
Started by embitteredhistorian - Last post by usukprof

Still smoking, drinking, and doing amphetamines?

on: Today at 03:43:04 pm 
Started by chicago_48 - Last post by theblondeassassin
I still seem to have it.

on: Today at 03:40:19 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by usukprof

I wasn't intending to offend, but rather listing a possibility.  How about Farmall red?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10