• May 26, 2017

Chronicle Forums

May 26, 2017, 3:03:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 02:58:31 pm 
Started by nw202934 - Last post by ruralguy
If I were you (and I sort of have been in the past...) I would consider almost anything for which you qualify and that gives you a chance to use your brain. So, don't take high school or for-profits off the table completely. Look at Polly_mer's post from
a day or two ago. Think about the types of jobs that could get you using research skills. Apply for some, and see where that goes
too. Also, do you have any "hard" skills (anything from computer programming, electronics,  to carpentry?) Perhaps you could combine such skills with research to work in a lab environment that isn't quasi-academic or corporate.

Try to concentrate on the big picture more. It seems like you are bit too focused on relatively small issues.

on: Today at 02:50:52 pm 
Started by sibyl - Last post by secundem_artem
I like the old Soviet style of formal address:

Dear Comrade Doctor Scientist Academician Engineer:

We regret to inform you.............

on: Today at 02:48:03 pm 
Started by OP_One_Kenobi - Last post by conjugate
Your unit is doing well and you have met your performance goals- sounds like you declare victory, and spring forth to the next level, elsewhere.

This approach is working and I am scheduled for interviews next month at a new school and at a higher administrative level, with others in the works.   No recriminations or drama; just moving on.

Thanks, and I will keep you posted.

OP_one

Congratulations!

on: Today at 02:46:34 pm 
Started by sibyl - Last post by conjugate
Well, when he shows up in an old blue British police call box, accompanied by a young lady, I'd certainly be sure to...

What?  You're giving me That Look again.

on: Today at 02:44:12 pm 
Started by figee - Last post by conjugate
Q:  So, what have you come up with to lower costs for the Visiting Artists program here?  Did you find any less-expensive artists to come to campus to play for our students?

A: Well, the academic aide emailed the Help Desk to get the name of the form that she then mailed to me, so I have emailed the Help Desk to find a copy of the form with that name, and they'll get back to me Monday, and then, once I get the location of the instructions for that form from the Help Desk, I can start filling it out.

on: Today at 02:39:24 pm 
Started by chronanon - Last post by fizmath
She needs some sensitivity training.  Make her volunteer in a poor white community.  Do some sort of "restorative justice" activity to raise consciousness about anti-white bias.

(Gee, where did  I learn to talk in this manner?)

on: Today at 02:38:55 pm 
Started by wareagle - Last post by juvenal

And especially don't do that when it's raining cats and dogs; I just stepped in a poodle.

What part?

on: Today at 02:31:54 pm 
Started by grit_1645 - Last post by conjugate
I'll echo the "online quizzes" suggestion, especially as framed as "opportunity to get extra points."  I have, in the past, done a few of these; each student gets three attempts, so they can try again and again to get a better grade (and so you can cut down on "my web browser crashed and it won't let me finish" complaints).  Some students go gleefully in, because they think they're beating the system somehow, and manage to spend a fair amount of time in what amounts to review.

This was suggested in the Jedi Mind Tricks thread.  You might look there for other suggestions.

Conjugate

on: Today at 02:21:41 pm 
Started by careerbugger - Last post by conjugate
The end is near.  I'm
Soon free of duties and chores
(Not entirely).

Loose ends to be tied,
Forms to fill (where?) and more tasks
Will last until when?

There's an end in sight.
I'll try to help as I can.
But summer's freedom!

on: Today at 02:16:25 pm 
Started by mountainguy - Last post by nescafe
<sorry for the double-post>

No, that's not how that whole thing went down. I'll agree it fits into the political narrative that your organization is invested it. I'll agree that it looks a certain way. But you have provided no evidence for those pretty awful accusations you're making, and there are moving parts to this thing that you cannot and will never see from the outside.

Trust me, I've been frustrated by this very event you're putting on blast with your petition. I had a personal, real stake in it. But your decision to deploy this event for your own ideological purposes is frustrating. It's wrong. And it shows me a clear double standard in which type of discrimination you are willing to tolerate.

In a word: yuck.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10