• August 30, 2016
August 30, 2016, 3:35:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Student with disability question  (Read 1394 times)
marshwiggle
Old Narnian and
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 08:44:33 am »

I can't speak to the group work problem, but a few years ago I had a student in a lab with one of these devices. I'd put it on before I started talking, and give it back at the end of the lab. I pretty much forgot about it and otherwise I didn't have to change anything about my delivery. So as far as the device itself goes, it's pretty innocuous.

(This one was on a lanyard, so you just put it on like a coach's whistle or stopwatch.)

It takes so little to be above average.
zuzu_
Frakking
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 10:15:12 am »

The requested accommodation seems perfectly reasonable to me. The annoyances are annoyances, nothing more. If you have several of these devices, great. If not, no big deal. When a student asks a question, repeat the question yourself, with your device active. Then answer it. It's not hard, not very time-consuming, and a good exercise--plus, it helps the other students too because often student questions are kind of garbled, miss the mark but are in the vicinity of something interesting, or gasp hard to hear.

This.
csgirl

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 10:29:56 am »

I have a severely hearing impaired son, who is just entering high school. He has used an FM system in school since he was 5. You have no idea how critical these devices can be, especialy in a noisy room (which includes rooms with air conditioning or ventilation systems that give off a steady hum). The FM system ensures that the speaker's voice is amplified above the background noise. The advice to either get several devices or to repeat the question is good advice. You should also do a few other things - make sure you write down assignments on the board or on your LMS. Don't just give important assignment information orally.  If the room is noisy because of chairs scraping on bare floors (this tends to be more of a problem in K12 than universities) you can have building services put tennis balls on the ends of the chairs. Make sure the student is sitting where he or she can see visuals easily.  Consider following up with the student to make sure that any important information that was given orally was understood. Also, some hearing impaired kids can have garbled speech, appear to mumble, or mispronounce words. Keep that in mind when interacting with the student and be sympathetic.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: