• September 29, 2016
September 29, 2016, 4:26:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223]
  Print  
Author Topic: All Things Uterine  (Read 1032790 times)
laudity

« Reply #3330 on: June 26, 2016, 11:00:46 pm »

Theatremom, that does not sound minor!! This is the place to vent about such ailments and atrocities.
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)
Distinguished Senior Member

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #3331 on: July 06, 2016, 3:15:39 am »

Laudity, my mom had two docs arguing about whether a biopsy showed cancer or not before her hysterectomy. She had the surgery and it did turn out to be cancer but it was also all removed at that time. She lived another 18 years and passed of unrelated causes at age 83. We had more fun picking on her about not being able to have more kids (she had seven) than worrying about cancer, especially after we found out someone had ordered a pregnancy test for her before her surgery that morning...
I was her youngest at 29...

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
ufo_tofu
Soy-based

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #3332 on: July 12, 2016, 9:02:34 pm »

Boy, this is a great thread.  I've just started having uterine issues (irregular period, spotting all damn month, etc), and it was so nice to be able to come here and read other women's experiences!  Thank you to everyone for sharing so many experiences, especially the ones that are painful, uncomfortable, etc. 

My mom has ovarian cancer and I had breast cancer 2 years ago.  My mom's gynecological oncologist recommended a total hysterectomy because he says that even though we both tested negative for BRCA, there are many unrecognized genetic connections between breast and ovarian cancer.  I was trying to get a little closer to menopause since my family also has bone and heart problems (which I understand can be exacerbated by removal of the ovaries).  Also, since others have given me differing advice (my oncologist and the genetic counselor we saw), I've been trying to do some research before making a decision.

I know several people on this thread have had or have considered hysterectomies.  From what I've read (I haven't made it through the whole thread yet), most folks are very happy with their hysterectomy (very reassuring - thank you again for sharing!) but I was wondering if there were any negatives?  What do you wish you had known before doing it?  Or why did you ultimately decide not to do it?

Also, my gynecologist made the point that my insurance might not cover it since it is elective at this point.  She also wants to treat my bleeding issues (I had a trans-vaginal ultrasound where everything looked ok, bloodwork where everything looked ok, she wants me to take a course of progesterone, and she wants me to come back in 4 months), but I'm leaning towards just getting the works yanked (if insurance will pay for it) because I'm going to worry about it as long as it's all in there. 

Other than the money, I do worry about hormonal issues since I have both migraines and lots of relatives with depression, both of which can be impacted by changes in hormones and such.  I would also be interested in hearing about people's experiences with mood, headaches, depression, etc. after a hysterectomy.

Thanks for any info and insights. 

Wash: Don't know. I'm starting to like this poetry thing. "Here lies my beloved Zoe, my autumn flower… somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross-" [Zoe hits him with a pillow]
thatmoody

Better to burn out than...oh hell

« Reply #3333 on: July 13, 2016, 10:46:39 am »

I just had a d&c followed by a uterine ablation when that didn't solve the issue (it was a huge cluster....because I had a pulmonary embolism from flying back from the UK, so was on blood thinners, so I was basically bleeding out and something HAD to be done). My doctor and I had discussed ablation before, but she was reluctant given that she worries about the inability to detect uterine cancer after ablation (the first symptom is often bleeding, and if you don't bleed anymore, well...).

I've been very happy with the procedure so far, though - I may end up having a hysterectomy when I get to come off the blood thinners, but I can probably push that off for a while now.
monarda
younger looking

« Reply #3334 on: July 16, 2016, 3:06:06 pm »

ufo_tofu,
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Plenty of folks have the hysterectomy but keep their ovaries for hormonal concerns.
 A friend did that. Talk to your doc.   

When I was having fibroid problems, I found a book called
"A Gynecologists' Second Opinion" by William  Parker - he's got a good chapter on hysterectomies.
He also has an informative web site.
ufo_tofu
Soy-based

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #3335 on: July 17, 2016, 11:31:11 pm »

Thank you Monarda - I will check that out!

Wash: Don't know. I'm starting to like this poetry thing. "Here lies my beloved Zoe, my autumn flower… somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross-" [Zoe hits him with a pillow]
dr_know
It's hard out there for a

« Reply #3336 on: July 27, 2016, 1:02:59 am »

Lending my support to Ufo_tofu and TheatreMom (no, it's not minor!).

I'm glad it's working so far, ThatMoody.

Wow, Gennimom.  I guess they wanted to be sure you wouldn't have to babysit any little siblings.  Clearly they had nothing better to do.

It's a real shame I'm too young and too poor to retire...
^Listen to Dr. Know.  She Knows.
gennimom

« Reply #3337 on: July 28, 2016, 6:05:39 pm »

Wow, Gennimom.  I guess they wanted to be sure you wouldn't have to babysit any little siblings.  Clearly they had nothing better to do.

My oldest sister arrived that evening to visit and we told her the story of the pregnancy test. Her reply was, "But you can always adopt!"

I fell off my chair, laughing.

Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
gennimom

« Reply #3338 on: July 28, 2016, 6:32:57 pm »

For anyone here who has a chronic health issue, we have a small private group on FB made up of academics where we gripe, commiserate, share information, and generally just help each other out when it seems like no one else can. The members of the group are not known outside of the group unless they want to be. No matter what your health issue is, if you would like to join us, and are on FB, PM me and I will let you know how to get in contact with us to be a part of the group. There is no pressure, just a group of people who support each other, often when things get really rough. You have nothing to lose but a lack of support from like-minded group of individuals.

Monday reeks! - Garfield
thenewyorker

« Reply #3339 on: August 28, 2016, 8:44:34 pm »

So it has started - the nights sweats, the hot flashes. I could deal with the heavy bleeding and the irregular periods, but this latest phase is a pain in the a$$.
So glad to have this thread. I have seen it for a few years and in the back of my mind kept noting that soon I would be reading it. Sigh. I've started reading through, but it is taking a while. I have a question that I hope it not been answered too many times already...
Does anyone have any advice for flashing while lecturing? I start classes tomorrow and plan on wearing a skirt and a tank. No need to take a sweater anymore for the too cold a/c on the subway!

When You Snark You Can Really Love
glowdart
that's a thing that I keep in the back of my head

« Reply #3340 on: August 28, 2016, 10:29:38 pm »

So it has started - the nights sweats, the hot flashes. I could deal with the heavy bleeding and the irregular periods, but this latest phase is a pain in the a$$.
So glad to have this thread. I have seen it for a few years and in the back of my mind kept noting that soon I would be reading it. Sigh. I've started reading through, but it is taking a while. I have a question that I hope it not been answered too many times already...
Does anyone have any advice for flashing while lecturing? I start classes tomorrow and plan on wearing a skirt and a tank. No need to take a sweater anymore for the too cold a/c on the subway!

My gyn recommended vitamin E and the pill, but my bad hot flashes are particularly bad. I avoid hot coffee before teaching, and some of my colleagues have had to go off all caffeine before class. A number of my colleagues have also bought really fancy hand fans. Good luck.
alto_stratus
Middle cloud,

« Reply #3341 on: August 29, 2016, 10:35:04 am »

My hairdresser used to swear by those cooling cloths.  

It looks like they have more elegant options now:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/her-hot-flashes-are-making-her-marlo-thomas-it-aint-over-marlo-thomas-it-aint-over_n_2662848.html
mamselle

« Reply #3342 on: August 29, 2016, 11:03:47 am »

Start coughing when you feel a flush coming on. The when you turn red, or pale, they'll think you just swallowed funny (seriously, BTDT).

And, consistent with this ploy, have a cup of fresh ice water with you to sip from. It looks like you're just dealing with a brief trachael spasm, but you're really lowering your body temperature.

And definitely, no caffeine. Especially no caffeine with sugary, chocolately pastries.

I had to give up my ritual of cocoa or tea with a pain chocolat in the AM until I was out of the woods.

That REALLY hurt!

M.
thenewyorker

« Reply #3343 on: August 30, 2016, 11:32:45 am »

Thank you for the advice! I don't do caffeine so thankfully that is not an issue.
I made it through with a sleeveless dress but forgot to tie my hair up. I will not be making that mistake ever, ever again.

When You Snark You Can Really Love
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223]
  Print  

Jump to: