• September 24, 2016
September 24, 2016, 4:55:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: In love with your professor  (Read 14638 times)
Bookish Beloved and Beautiful
« on: October 15, 2005, 1:11:29 pm »

I keep falling in love with my professors. I asked my mom about it, who is also in education, and she said it's a common phenomenon in teaching. And that they get trained to deal with it.

I wonder if professors know that girls might be falling in love with them and what will they do?

Also, would professors actually romantically like students even without a PhD?
Prytania
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 1:17:02 pm »

Yes.
Ms. Collegiality
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 1:54:40 pm »

Why do you ask?  How old are you?  What are your intentions?  I just left a school where a 16-year-old obsessed home-schooled girl stalked THREE of her professors, one after the other.  She was compensating for a very troubled home life, but she made her teachers' lives hell.

Leave them alone.  

A crush where you feel impressed and intrigued enough to really enjoy an occasional out of class interaction:  normal.  

Notes and letters sent regularly, frequent visits over trumped-up reasons, phone calls and emails, taking every class they offer whether you need it or not:  out of bounds.

Leave them alone.
Bookish, Beloved and Beautiful
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 1:55:38 pm »

Yes! I know they do flirt with me and other girls sometimes but would they actually date  girls without a PhD? I mean they would be intellectually below them plus have less knowledge, so why would they?
Bookish Beloved and Beautiful
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 2:02:23 pm »

I'm in my twenties and I would never ask a man out (i'm traditional in dating) so forget stalking I wouldnt even call him in the first place!. I am just wondering what if they would want to date me, what if they happen to fall in love. I mean I met some famous academics at symposiums  who were obviously flirting with me and are not my own professor but from other universities.

Regards

BBB
Been There Done Too Much
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 2:02:23 pm »

Yes, profs usually know when their students have crushes on them.

The ones with ethics do nothing about it.  The ones without ethics may hit on you.  (And very cleverly and persuasively spin it to justify themselves--usually conning you into thinking you are "mature" and conning themselves into believing they "love" you.)

Enjoy your feelings, use them to inspire you to excel in your classes, and don't act on them.  If you and one of your beloved professors actually started to date, it would never be as good as your fantasy.
Bookish, Beloved and Beacutifu
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 2:08:50 pm »

What do you mean pretend to "love" me, why couldn't they love me arent professors humans too? I do not think they are only interested in pretty and intelligent students just sexually.

"If you and one of your beloved professors actually started to date, it would never be as good as your fantasy." This might be true for I used to  fantasise for a year about kissing lesbian girls and when I was making out with one on a couple of dates it was just not like in the fantasy. It actually make my feel ill while I was kissing her!

Have you ever dated your students, Been there done too much?
Mendel
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 2:12:43 pm »

I dunno, this girl sounds right out of a victorian bodice ripper.
ttttt
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 2:28:36 pm »

rrrrrrrrroooooooooooollllll!

Trolly
trolly
troll
heehee
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 2:47:03 pm »

As an undergrad, I had a serious crush on one of my professors.  He was actually known for dating students, so I asked him out.  It never went anywhere.  In grad school I was always a little afraid that I would become "that" professor who dated students.  Now, in my late 20s and a professor, I can't even imagine dating any of my students (I'm female btw).  Not because of any intellectual standard, but because they are all so YOUNG!
Xylocopa
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 3:21:33 pm »

I taught at an inner-city community college for several years. I loved the students there, but I couldn't think of a single other thing about the place to love. After I left the place, I telephoned two of my former students to ask them for a date.

One didn't return my call. The other was thrilled to hear from me -- until she found out why I was calling. Apparently she didn't even see me as an eligible receiver. From now on, if an attractive female student smiles at me, I'm going to assume it's because I remind her of her kindly old grampa.
tamiam
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 3:27:43 pm »

I'm getting sick to my stomach reading this stuff.
to BBB
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 3:29:56 pm »

yawn

[%sig%]
sheesh
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 4:29:40 pm »

heehee is only in her 20s and already a professor! Wow! Must have had some life in university! I think you need a break and live in a community and work like everyone else!
anon
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 4:37:22 pm »

I think your revoltingly bad prose would put a damper on the relationship.
If you do intend to seduce a professor, make sure to choose one who never
has the opportunity to read any of  your writing -- including e-mails.

Bookish, Beloved and Beacutifu wrote:

>
> What do you mean pretend to "love" me, why couldn't they love
> me arent professors humans too? I do not think they are only
> interested in pretty and intelligent students just sexually.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: