• January 22, 2017
January 22, 2017, 6:19:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: NSF CAREER Results  (Read 10334 times)
rob_p

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2017, 3:18:26 pm »

I see.  So, I guess my point is that getting some feedback (i.e., knowing that the reviews were positive and that they are looking for funding), rather than radio silence, would help some people cope with the uncertainty.  At least, it would replace it with a potentially less anxious form of uncertainty (i.e., am I going to be waiting around for 8-10 mos. only to get back crushing, negative reviews, and if so, what took so long?).
happylittletrees
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2017, 4:34:55 pm »

I see.  So, I guess my point is that getting some feedback (i.e., knowing that the reviews were positive and that they are looking for funding), rather than radio silence, would help some people cope with the uncertainty.  At least, it would replace it with a potentially less anxious form of uncertainty (i.e., am I going to be waiting around for 8-10 mos. only to get back crushing, negative reviews, and if so, what took so long?).

This may sound harsh, but it comes from having been there myself. I know it's nerve racking to wait, but find another outlet. Keep writing those manuscripts; start thinking about the spin for the next proposal. At this stage in your game, you should have more excellent ideas than opportunities to propose. In my experience, if your proposal was viewed extremely well, then you'll know fairly soon after panel often by a phone call.  PMs like to share good news quickly and by phone. If the PM knows there is no chance of  a proposal getting funding should magic money show up, I.e., the crushing negative reviews, then they will usually let that person know within a couple months after panel BY EMAIL. If you haven't heard by 6 mo that almost always means the budget is not set yet and you are still in the pool albeit possibly marginally. (I refer you back to to mleok's post.) Yes, you may not get funded even after the budget is set some many months after submission, and that is frustrating, but there's nothing you can do about it now. Be patient. 

Maybe in our world there lives a happy little tree over there.
-Bob Ross
newlife2016

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2017, 10:27:19 pm »

Is there a way to know if anyone got a rejection for a given division. If we knew that the declines have been processed, we could move on to the next stage of waiting. Our panel review was in October or early November. So I assume the top ranking applicants have already been notified by the PM although I don't see any CAREER funding news from our division yet.
rob_p

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2017, 10:50:30 pm »

Unless you personally know somebody in your devision, I don't think you can find out easily.  My panel met on Oct. 27, and I can't find (via Google, or an NFS grant search) an award for anyone in my division --- though I see a total of 74 awards NSF wide that have gone out in other divisions.  This could just be because some divisions make their decisions later than others (perhaps they have not made any awards or declinations yet), or because none of that information is yet public.  It seems impossible to know without somebody on the "inside".
rob_p

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2017, 11:48:54 am »

newlife2016,

There are now 80 awards from this cycle available via the grant search --- still none from my division.  Perhaps this is the place to check if you don't know if anyone from your division has yet gotten an award.
newlife2016

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2017, 12:35:49 pm »

rob_p,
Comforting to know that there are others in the same exact situation. I think we are all in the grey zone. Better than being rejected out right. I am trying to find out if anyone got a rejection from my division. I am asking out grants management later today if they know anything. Hang in there..
rjan6060

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2017, 12:36:34 pm »

I submitted my CAREER proposal to CMMI too, and I have not heard anything. My "status" date is still 07/20/2016, the status is pending, but the peer review began on 08/30! So I figure I must be in the "maybe if we can find the money" pool. I'm trying to hold my horses before contacting my PM until the 6 months passes. But reading this forum has helped me feel a little better about not hearing anything. I submitted in 2015 as well, and had my rejection before Christmas.

rob_p

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2017, 2:42:07 pm »

Hi all,

Well, I bit the bullet and contacted the PO.  In my case, I'm very glad I did.  Not because it brought good (or bad) news, but because it gave me the second-best thing --- a basic timeframe that will help me stop checking FastLane compulsively.  It turns out that in my division, my initial inclination was right.  That is "no news" is simply "no news". 

My PO said that they will be having the debriefing at the end of this month, and that the top and bottom proposal should get their respective awards and declinations at some point in February.  So, now I know that even the top proposals in my division haven't heard any news yet, and that even the lowest-ranked proposals haven't yet been declined.  The kicker is that she said those proposals in the gray zone (my wording) will hear during  a stretch from March to June!  They want to make sure they fund the maximum number of proposals they can.  So, now I know not to expect any information until Feb. at the earliest, and that if I am, indeed, in the gray zone, I might have to wait much longer.  The timeline itself is vastly un-satisfying, but I'm incredibly grateful to now have some idea of what it is.  If you're in the same boat, I do suggest you contact your PO --- if they're reasonable, it can't hurt.
haiz3311

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2017, 4:10:06 pm »

Thanks for sharing,  it is great to know that piece of information.

Can you share which division did you submit to?  sorry for not catching that if you have posted before.  Great luck to all who have not heard back yet,

Hi all,

Well, I bit the bullet and contacted the PO.  In my case, I'm very glad I did.  Not because it brought good (or bad) news, but because it gave me the second-best thing --- a basic timeframe that will help me stop checking FastLane compulsively.  It turns out that in my division, my initial inclination was right.  That is "no news" is simply "no news". 

My PO said that they will be having the debriefing at the end of this month, and that the top and bottom proposal should get their respective awards and declinations at some point in February.  So, now I know that even the top proposals in my division haven't heard any news yet, and that even the lowest-ranked proposals haven't yet been declined.  The kicker is that she said those proposals in the gray zone (my wording) will hear during  a stretch from March to June!  They want to make sure they fund the maximum number of proposals they can.  So, now I know not to expect any information until Feb. at the earliest, and that if I am, indeed, in the gray zone, I might have to wait much longer.  The timeline itself is vastly un-satisfying, but I'm incredibly grateful to now have some idea of what it is.  If you're in the same boat, I do suggest you contact your PO --- if they're reasonable, it can't hurt.
newlife2016

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2017, 4:11:58 pm »

Wow! Great move. That certainly is a good deal of information. February does seem relatively late. But now we know that all divisions have not sent out their declines in December. Did you email or call the PO?
 I don't want to contact the PO and not hear back again. Which would lead me to worry that I am nowhere close to being considered, so they haven't bothered even answering my email.
Thanks again for the update.
rob_p

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 4:21:09 pm »

@ haiz3311 --- I'm in the BIO directorate, in the Division of Biological Infrastructure (DBI) and in the Advances in Biological Informatics (ABI) program.  I am not sure if this timeline applies to all of DBI (probably) or specifically to my program.

@newlife2016 --- I e-mailed the PO.  Actually, there are 2 POs for my program.  I e-mailed one of them last week, but heard nothing.  I e-mailed the other today since I realized that she'd been CC'd on all of my previous interactions with the ABI program.  She responded almost immediately, and also let me know that the other PO has been running panels for the past week, which is likely why he'd not yet responded.  Honestly, calling the PO is probably the easiest way to ensure that you at least get a response.  However, I have a strong preference for e-mail, which is why I went that route.
mozman
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2017, 4:59:28 pm »

I talked to my PO today as well. All declines have gone out and we did not get one. They're still waiting on the official spending budget, but my proposal was apparently ranked #1 at the panel meeting. Said to expect official notice in the next couple weeks.

So Yay Us.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 4:59:52 pm by mozman » Logged

rob_p

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2017, 5:40:03 pm »

Congratulations, mozman!
haiz3311

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2017, 8:28:34 pm »

Big congratulations! Mozman! well done. 

I talked to my PO today as well. All declines have gone out and we did not get one. They're still waiting on the official spending budget, but my proposal was apparently ranked #1 at the panel meeting. Said to expect official notice in the next couple weeks.

So Yay Us.

haiz3311

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2017, 9:03:58 pm »

Hi Rob, thanks for sharing.  I appreciate it.  Great luck. 

@ haiz3311 --- I'm in the BIO directorate, in the Division of Biological Infrastructure (DBI) and in the Advances in Biological Informatics (ABI) program.  I am not sure if this timeline applies to all of DBI (probably) or specifically to my program.

@newlife2016 --- I e-mailed the PO.  Actually, there are 2 POs for my program.  I e-mailed one of them last week, but heard nothing.  I e-mailed the other today since I realized that she'd been CC'd on all of my previous interactions with the ABI program.  She responded almost immediately, and also let me know that the other PO has been running panels for the past week, which is likely why he'd not yet responded.  Honestly, calling the PO is probably the easiest way to ensure that you at least get a response.  However, I have a strong preference for e-mail, which is why I went that route.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: