• July 27, 2017
July 27, 2017, 8:39:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Tenure rejected because of too much research  (Read 39698 times)
mleok
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2017, 6:19:58 pm »

???

They've done nothing, of course. But they're not the OP's problem anymore. Its like when faculty go on strike. Hurting the students is the goddam point - its the only think that makes the University take any notice.

As the wise man once said, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it".

I don't think a strike is the appropriate analogy, in the case of a strike, the discomfort inflicted on the students are presumably a means towards an end, so as to convince students and parents to exert their influence on the administration to pressure them to negotiate with the people striking. In this case, unless the goal is to reverse the tenure denial, otherwise hurting the students in this instance is just gratuitous.

In any case, at least in a strike, you're not being paid, so it is somewhat reasonable to withhold your service. In this case, the appropriate analogy is an adjunct position, you don't owe them any debt of loyalty, but you still need to do the job that you're contracted to do.
kron3007

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2017, 7:58:48 pm »

A work to rule campaign would be the better analogy, which is closed to what most people are suggesting and I think is appropriate. The OP should fulfill their contractual duties, but no more. This will negatively impact the students to some degree, but they will be ok. 
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2017, 5:38:11 pm »

There are no others who can help to teach the courses because we are short of staff. Everyone is having overload except me. The senior just fired two adjunct faculty recently so we are stuck with all these courses.

You are no longer part of that "we." Stop using that word, it is confusing your thinking. Your colleagues are now "They." And they have a problem, but it is not your problem.

I can be happy anywhere I have a little money and the cops aren't after me--I'm still searching for this place.
mozman

« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2017, 6:41:31 pm »

There are no others who can help to teach the courses because we are short of staff. Everyone is having overload except me. The senior just fired two adjunct faculty recently so we are stuck with all these courses.

You are no longer part of that "we." Stop using that word, it is confusing your thinking. Your colleagues are now "They." And they have a problem, but it is not your problem.

+1000

Wise advice from larry, as always!

ismh2534

« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2017, 12:57:19 pm »

Thanks for sharing your pearl of wisdom.

I just found out that I have lost the motivation to teach in this semester. I still love teaching but not now.....

I need to focus on my campus visit this week.

ismh2534

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2017, 10:31:00 am »

Update: I got a "verbal" job offer with a better pay scale and a lighter teaching load (3-3).
cmeagher7
Spending way too much time on the fora if I am now a

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2017, 10:55:10 am »

Update: I got a "verbal" job offer with a better pay scale and a lighter teaching load (3-3).

Congratulations! The best revenge is a life well-lived.

That thread is gonna be a train wreck.

Oh yeah, that's not going to go well.  (I was surprised at how quickly I realized which thread it was).
lalochezia

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2017, 12:50:14 pm »

Congratulations! The best revenge is a life well-lived.
Congrats.
Just as a note. Verbal offers are necessary but nowhere near sufficient......."verbal offers are worth the paper they are written on". I would be HAPPY, but don't celebrate and don't burn bridges with any of the non-a**holes that you work with just yet.

I would wait for a letter from the deans office or higher (not just the dept) and an acknowledgment that they have received your acceptance before truly celebrating.  Even *these* kinds of offers can be rescinded these days....but  it's quite unlikely.
ruralguy
Super Duper Zillion Star Member

Full Prof; STEM; SLAC; Rural US

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2017, 5:52:55 pm »

As Larryc has often said in the past....not a word to anyone about this yet. Settle everything, including when you start getting
health insurance coverage and move in to a new place *before* you tell Dean's, faculty colleagues, custodians, secretaries, students.
no1capybara

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2017, 12:42:45 pm »

So glad to hear this!  And not a word until it's signed and official :) 
ismh2534

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2017, 1:36:49 pm »

Thanks!

I won't say a word until everything is official and after I am "settled".

Got the paperwork (contract) through email. Will sign it!!
cmeagher7
Spending way too much time on the fora if I am now a

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2017, 4:20:04 pm »

Thanks!

I won't say a word until everything is official and after I am "settled".

Got the paperwork (contract) through email. Will sign it!!

Okay, now make sure it gets all the proper approvals on their side after signing. Don't send out any controversial Tweets or Facebook posts.

That thread is gonna be a train wreck.

Oh yeah, that's not going to go well.  (I was surprised at how quickly I realized which thread it was).
mleok

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2017, 8:21:28 pm »

Congratulations, I'm happy to hear that things worked out for the best for you.
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2017, 10:16:23 pm »

I hope this is the best of all possible outcomes for you, OP.  Congratulations.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
ismh2534

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2017, 11:26:00 am »

Thank you to all of you!

It's official! The "new" school welcomed me to join them!

BUT BUT .....the senior (who rejected my tenure) tries to make my life miserable. He wanted me to do more paperwork....

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: