• February 21, 2017
February 21, 2017, 6:23:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Falling mouse behavior  (Read 4648 times)
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: January 10, 2017, 6:05:02 am »

I promise that I've tried to Google this one, but to no avail and I remain befuddled...

With my laptop I used a regular corded external mouse (not the touchpad one, which is broken). Since I'm working on the couch I frequently drop the mouse. That wouldn't be a big deal, but sometimes merely dropping the mouse causes all my browser tabs to shut down (or other odd things).

It is a gaming mouse, with two extra mysterious buttons on the side.

Anyway, any thoughts on what could be happening that when I drop the mouse, and no buttons are pressed, it shuts down the web browser? And/or how to prevent it.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
pollinate
insufficiently mercenary

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 3:15:22 pm »

Mice are quite afraid of falling because landing hurts.   This fear makes them shut down all unnecessary functions while they are falling.  To solve this problem, you need to get a mouse with wings - that is, a bat.  The knowledge that it can fly keeps it from being afraid of being hurt by hitting the floor, so it will remain functional.  It's a good thing that you are in the habit of using a leashed mouse - this will prevent your bat from flying away.
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 7:28:39 pm »

Love it, pollinate!

My best guess is that those mysterious side buttons are shortcut keys and that one or both of them have been programmed to shut the browser when pressed. Since the mouse is designed for gaming, they are probably also quite sensitive and they are being activated when you drop the mouse. Check the user manual that came with the mouse. It should tell you what their default is. It will probably also offer instructions on how to set them to do something else, and/or how to disable them. (If no user manual, try opening the settings software for the mouse and take a look. It's a good bet that that's where you can set what those buttons do.(And, where you can see what they're currently set to do.)

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 7:53:20 pm »

I usually get up, brush myself off, assure everybody that I'm OK, and limp off to the ER.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
mamselle

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 9:46:11 pm »

I read this in a bleary-eyed state this AM.

First I thought a moose was failing....but I didn't think anyone on the forum had a pet moose.

Then I thought you meant your chocolate mousse was falling.

Now that IS a disaster....

:--}

Glad to know it's just something mechanical

M.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 10:09:54 pm »

I usually get up, brush myself off, assure everybody that I'm OK, and limp off to the ER.

I am so sorry. I should be more careful in the future.

And thank you Mystictechgal for the lead. I will look into that.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 11:15:51 pm »

Yes.  We want Mousie to be well.

I strive with a mission to proliferate superiority knowledge
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 12:00:24 am »

On the other hand, "Falling Mouse Behavio(u))r" would  be a great name for a band.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 5:25:31 pm »

Well, I tracked down the user manual. It is one page long, which is a diagram of the mouse, with the buttons labeled. So that was no help. There's no software that came with the mouse, and there's no way to change button settings in Windows.

I've tried pressing all combinations of buttons and can't recreate what happens when the mouse falls. I think I may need to set my browser to ask before shutting down all tabs (which is a pain, but oh well).

Meanwhile getting my accordion back out of the closet so I can audition for FMB.

mamselle

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 11:11:43 pm »

I have several duet accordion arrangements if you're interested.

In fact, I wrote my freshman theory composition as a duet/4-part fugue for 2 accordions (each hand playing a separate line.)

It has been performed publicly twice since then.

Word.

M.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 7:38:23 pm »

Follow-up: I dug up an old Plain Mouse to replace the Fancy Mouse and now life is good.

mamselle

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 12:09:24 am »

But why did you bury the Plain Mouse to begin with, if it wasn't dead?

M.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 4:04:35 am »

But why did you bury the Plain Mouse to begin with, if it wasn't dead?

M.

Plain Mouse originally came with a desktop but was bequeathed to the junk drawer when replaced by Cordless Mouse a couple years ago.

mamselle

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 4:49:58 pm »

Oh, OK.

I hope the disinterment paperwork wasn't too onerous.

:--}

M.
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 6:26:26 pm »

I will be adding this thread to our list of empirical evidence that discussions of all things on the fora are infinitely better than elsewhere in the sublunary universe.

It is nice to report, and contemplate in a thread-appropriate manner, the more exciting aspects of each day, in this really thread-inappropriate time.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: