• February 25, 2017
February 25, 2017, 9:33:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Poll
Question: What punishment should Dylann Roof receive?
Death penalty - 6 (30%)
Life in solitary confinement - 4 (20%)
Life in general prison population - 7 (35%)
Mental hospital forever - 2 (10%)
Mental hospital until judged sane - 0 (0%)
Death by starvation - 1 (5%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Capital punishment and Dylann Roof  (Read 2985 times)
pedanterast
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: January 11, 2017, 12:56:44 am »

I have mixed feelings about capital punishment and have changed my mind about it quite a few times over the course of my lifetime.  However, Mr. Roof seems to want it.  He is not remorseful, doubled down on his beliefs, and put on no defense.

How long will it take for him to ultimately be executed?  Ten years? 

Would it be appropriate to just put him in the general population and kind of, you know, see what happens?

Should condemned prisoners have the right to demand immediate execution (I believe so)?

Discuss.
magnemite
no one of consequence, and a

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 1:12:36 am »

I say no to capital punishment, and have decided this is not something that should be a case-by-case thing.

In this particular situation, life in prison, no parole.

may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome
fizmath
Smug Shill for the Right

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 2:02:42 am »

I seem to recall some condemned people who willingly gave up appeals just to get the whole thing over with.
nebo113

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 9:52:34 am »

There is some suggestion that he is schizophrenic.   
canuckois
Thrower of Insults, Smearer of Characters, and a

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 10:13:14 am »

Would it be appropriate to just put him in the general population and kind of, you know, see what happens?

How could this ever be appropriate?

Your opinions are welcome, of course, unless they suck, in which case the Fora will reward you with snark, if all goes well.
cmeagher7
Spending way too much time on the fora if I am now a

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:25 am »

There would be a lot to be gained by giving him the mental health treatment he needs, and learning how to prevent the next Dylann Roof from happening once he is able to more clearly communicate.

But they can't do that if he's dead.

That thread is gonna be a train wreck.

Oh yeah, that's not going to go well.  (I was surprised at how quickly I realized which thread it was).
goaswerfraiejen

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:48:09 am »

If a life sentence means solitary confinement, then the state might as well execute him. I'm against capital punishment, but I'm even more adamantly against torture.
brixton

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 1:54:59 pm »

It seems as though his strategy is martyrdom through sentencing.  I think that is why he didn't mount a defense.  I am opposed to the death penalty.  It  frequently brings about drawn-out  appeals  (which may not be the case in this situation.)    It doesn't allow the state to aid in suicidal desires.   Being in prison for life when you're so young is a serious punishment.  It doesn't take long for the world to forget you.  Death penalty cases tend to allow names linger in the news for years, which can be hard for victims. 

I assume when you say "just put him in the general population" you mean "general prison  population" (?)
pedanterast

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 2:00:16 pm »

Yes, I meant general prison population.
canuckois
Thrower of Insults, Smearer of Characters, and a

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 2:03:05 pm »

I know that's what you meant. My question above still stands.

Your opinions are welcome, of course, unless they suck, in which case the Fora will reward you with snark, if all goes well.
magnemite
no one of consequence, and a

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 2:27:16 pm »

If a life sentence means solitary confinement, then the state might as well execute him. I'm against capital punishment, but I'm even more adamantly against torture.

Yes, life sentence without cruel and unusual punishment (solitary).

may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome
pedanterast

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 3:25:56 pm »

I know that's what you meant. My question above still stands.

I guess the argument would be that he does not deserve special treatment.
horatio

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 3:41:41 pm »

Sorry, but mentally ill my @$$.  His behavior isn't that of one who is mentally ill. 

He's a cold blooded murderer.  I'm generally against the death penalty in principle, but it's not a defining justice issue that I waste energy or time on.  Too many other things to use my limited time, emotional capital, and resources fighting for.

Execute him or not;  And frankly, I think that for these types, the rest of their life in a windowless cell in solitary confinement SHOULD be on the table.  This is not a person but an animal.
mountainguy

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 6:02:11 pm »

I oppose the death penalty in 99.9% of circumstances, but Roof's actions didn't leave the jury with any choice in this case. I get the impression that he wants to be executed. As for the other part of the OP's question, if we are going to execute people, I'd say it's better to have a state-sanctioned legal procedure for determining guilt  (however flawed it may be) than to summarily kill people with angry mobs.

You may be manly, but you cannot handle all the mosquitoes.
nebo113

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 6:28:26 pm »

Sorry, but mentally ill my @$$.  His behavior isn't that of one who is mentally ill. 

He's a cold blooded murderer.  I'm generally against the death penalty in principle, but it's not a defining justice issue that I waste energy or time on.  Too many other things to use my limited time, emotional capital, and resources fighting for.

Execute him or not;  And frankly, I think that for these types, the rest of their life in a windowless cell in solitary confinement SHOULD be on the table.  This is not a person but an animal.

Thank you for your usual measured, thoughtful response.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: