• March 27, 2017
March 27, 2017, 4:43:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 1988 1989 [1990] 1991 1992 ... 1995
  Print  
Author Topic: "favorite" student e-mails  (Read 6336162 times)
geonerd
Limerick cretin, Editor in Chief, Journal of Non-Rhyming Things Unlearned and a
Distinguished Senior Member

Do not take the bait.

« Reply #29835 on: January 18, 2017, 9:40:45 pm »

How could I have forgotten Leonard's Day on February 2 (air date of the episode)!

<<Mamselle steps up to the edge of the Universe>>
"Universe, behave!"
geoteo

« Reply #29836 on: January 19, 2017, 10:26:05 am »

It's the end of line for now, but President's Day is coming up in a few weeks. Maybe Washington or Lincoln has a quote that's somehow relevant.

Washington + Lincoln = more than one president = Presidents' Day, not President's Day. 

Well, since you insist upon being pedantic, it's actually none of the above.

According to Title 5, Part 3, Subpart E, Chapter 61, Subchapter I, Section 6103(a) of the United States Code, it is (still) officially called "Washington's Birthday". (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/6103)

That being the case, and as Washington refers to only one president, it would seem that the alternate name for the holiday used by Geonerd is more correct than your attempted correction.

I thought it had now become Presidents Day: a day to honor presidents, rather than a day belonging to them.

"The accession of this dynamic pavement collapses the cranium of the community because of its elegance."
"Since the beginning of time, mankind has yearned for non-stick cookware."
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #29837 on: January 19, 2017, 11:06:50 pm »

It's the end of line for now, but President's Day is coming up in a few weeks. Maybe Washington or Lincoln has a quote that's somehow relevant.

Washington + Lincoln = more than one president = Presidents' Day, not President's Day. 

Well, since you insist upon being pedantic, it's actually none of the above.

According to Title 5, Part 3, Subpart E, Chapter 61, Subchapter I, Section 6103(a) of the United States Code, it is (still) officially called "Washington's Birthday". (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/6103)

That being the case, and as Washington refers to only one president, it would seem that the alternate name for the holiday used by Geonerd is more correct than your attempted correction.

I thought it had now become Presidents Day: a day to honor presidents, rather than a day belonging to them.

I had thought so, too.  But apparently it was never legally established; MysticTechGal appears to be correct.  See Snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/presidents/presidentsday.asp

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #29838 on: January 20, 2017, 7:10:55 pm »

In its entirety:

I had been send Email three times for differenrt advisors today and donot get the letter reply,what should i do? Just wait?

Sweet biscuits! Now I really HAVE heard it all.

If you are in to Oreos we can talk about it more.
geonerd
Limerick cretin, Editor in Chief, Journal of Non-Rhyming Things Unlearned and a

Do not take the bait.

« Reply #29839 on: January 20, 2017, 7:23:02 pm »

In its entirety:

I had been send Email three times for differenrt advisors today and donot get the letter reply,what should i do? Just wait?

Use your powers of time travel for good, never for evil.

<<Mamselle steps up to the edge of the Universe>>
"Universe, behave!"
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #29840 on: January 22, 2017, 4:15:22 am »

What would you all do if a student accidentally sent an email to your personal account instead of your work address? They both (my work and personal emails) have the same name at the beginning, so I'm thinking the student just mistakenly converted my address to gmail. On the other hand, if the student did look up my personal email, that is just weird and/or creepy (especially weird because the message was about the online part of the class, which has internal email).

Ok, I am sure I am overthinking this.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 4:15:46 am by melba_frilkins » Logged

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
scampster

« Reply #29841 on: January 22, 2017, 4:19:34 am »

What would you all do if a student accidentally sent an email to your personal account instead of your work address? They both (my work and personal emails) have the same name at the beginning, so I'm thinking the student just mistakenly converted my address to gmail. On the other hand, if the student did look up my personal email, that is just weird and/or creepy (especially weird because the message was about the online part of the class, which has internal email).

Any chance you accidentally sent them an e-mail once from your gmail address? If I send e-mail on my phone, it is easy to do this (since I have to actively switch to my university account).

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #29842 on: January 22, 2017, 6:15:11 am »

Any chance you accidentally sent them an e-mail once from your gmail address? If I send e-mail on my phone, it is easy to do this (since I have to actively switch to my university account).

No, I never do student emails from my phone, and it's a brand new student from just this week.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
chemystery

« Reply #29843 on: January 22, 2017, 4:34:03 pm »

Be the kind stranger who lets the errant sender know that they have the wrong address and you are not the intended recipient.  There's no reason someone else couldn't have that gmail address. 

"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"  --The Handmaid's Tale
drbrt

« Reply #29844 on: January 22, 2017, 9:57:10 pm »

My spring freshmen classes are usually a big headache, but this class looks like they are going to spoil me.

Dr. Brt,

I mentioned this in in office hours, but since I work for [local defense contractor], and am required to recertify in [training] on Monday. I have attached my homework to this email, watched the appropriate next videos on the recommended YouTube channel, and John Doe has agreed to let me copy his notes. This email is your requested reminder that I will not be in class.

Sincerely,

Stu Dent.

List? I am supposed to have a list? MONDAY IS COMING! ACK!
biop_grad

« Reply #29845 on: January 23, 2017, 12:36:11 am »

I'd simply reply from my official email address.
krisanthe

sciencerely

« Reply #29846 on: January 23, 2017, 8:28:06 am »

Be the kind stranger who lets the errant sender know that they have the wrong address and you are not the intended recipient.  There's no reason someone else couldn't have that gmail address. 

I like this suggestion.  I'd consider just replying from my university email address, but your personal email address might have already been saved as a contact.  So, if the student goes to email you in the future, it might pop up automatically and the issue won't be solved.  If he is told the personal email address does not belong to you, he'll hopefully be more aware of where he sends future emails. 

Sweet biscuits! Now I really HAVE heard it all.

If you are in to Oreos we can talk about it more.
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #29847 on: January 23, 2017, 3:14:40 pm »

I like this suggestion.  I'd consider just replying from my university email address, but your personal email address might have already been saved as a contact.  So, if the student goes to email you in the future, it might pop up automatically and the issue won't be solved.  If he is told the personal email address does not belong to you, he'll hopefully be more aware of where he sends future emails. 

Reply like this:

"<mysterious Jedi hand gesture> This isn't the email address you're looking for.  You should try a different email address, probably ending in dot-edu."

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
blackadder

« Reply #29848 on: January 23, 2017, 11:21:46 pm »

My spring freshmen classes are usually a big headache, but this class looks like they are going to spoil me.

Dr. Brt,

I mentioned this in in office hours, but since I work for [local defense contractor], and am required to recertify in [training] on Monday. I have attached my homework to this email, watched the appropriate next videos on the recommended YouTube channel, and John Doe has agreed to let me copy his notes. This email is your requested reminder that I will not be in class.

Sincerely,

Stu Dent.
No way...you are pulling our collective legs.
biop_grad

« Reply #29849 on: January 23, 2017, 11:51:31 pm »

From a student assignment:

"Hydrogen bonding makes Delta S negative, and forming of bondage is exothermic."
Pages: 1 ... 1988 1989 [1990] 1991 1992 ... 1995
  Print  

Jump to: