• September 27, 2016
September 27, 2016, 6:40:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: academic librarian interview tips  (Read 5175 times)
looly

« on: March 24, 2008, 6:36:52 pm »

Next week I'm going for my first academic librarian interview - hooray! I'm fresh out of grad school and have got an in-person interview at a great university that I'd love to work at. Any tips or experiences from others that have had in-person interviews? I don't have to give a job talk, just an all day interview. What should I expect? Any and all advice is welcome...
hrvatski18

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 7:21:14 pm »

Congratulations!

And congratulations for not having to deal with a presentation too!   That's a load of stress you won't have.

There is a list called 101 Interview Questions for Librarians.   If you Google it, you will find it.   I highly recommend it.

I expect you'll receive questions regarding your thoughts on emerging technologies and their application to library services; how you respond to requests from faculty versus students; managing conflicts; how you would satisfy an unhappy patron; and your research interests if the position requires scholarly research and publication.

Good luck!
collegekidsmom
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 1:46:19 am »

Do you have any library experience that you can talk about? That is always helpful. Make sure you really familiarize yourself with their website so you can see what kind of focus they put on things like virtual reference, federated search, or their repository. Otherwise, ask them some interesting questions, show flexibility and ability to work as part of a team.They may ask you about your interest in ALA or other organizations, depending on what kind of service is expected at the institution.
Be positive, and good luck with your new profession! It's an interesting time to be a librarian-things are changing every day, and there's a lot of opportunity for new ideas. You will do fine-your enthusiasm shines through.
looly

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 4:01:54 pm »

Thanks to both of the above posters for their congratulations and great advice. Is it weird that there is no presentation involved? Is the presentation standard or does it depend on the university usually? And how many people do libraries usually call to campus for an interview? I am in the top 2 or 3 or 5 - does anyone have experience with this?
hrvatski18

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 8:29:44 pm »

Thanks to both of the above posters for their congratulations and great advice. Is it weird that there is no presentation involved? Is the presentation standard or does it depend on the university usually? And how many people do libraries usually call to campus for an interview? I am in the top 2 or 3 or 5 - does anyone have experience with this?

A presentation to the library faculty/staff is standard for interviews.   I'm surprised, actually, that you don't have to prepare a job talk.   That being said, I've also been on one interview at an academic library where I was not required to give a presentation either.   But I think it's unusual.

Hard to say how many people a library is likely to invite to campus for interviews.   I think 3 candidates is generally the norm, although I've worked at libraries where anywhere from 2-5 candidates were brought to campus.   
collegekidsmom
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:07:53 pm »

A presentation is not always included as part of the interview day at my library. It might vary by discipline, type of job, and search committee's plans. For instance, it would be very likely that there would be a presentation for a position that had a heavy instruction load.

I think three candidates coming in would be about right, but it certainly could be five if the pool included that many promising people.

Remember to prepare some interesting questions about both the library and the university to ask various people during sessions.
pippin

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 2:27:35 pm »

...and let us know how it goes!

Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.
pippin

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 4:31:53 pm »

So...how DID it go?

Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: