• August 26, 2016
August 26, 2016, 7:54:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Teaching jobs in colleges in Canada  (Read 14117 times)
mishal

« on: June 03, 2008, 10:08:05 pm »

I was wondering where to look for teaching jobs in colleges in Canada - jobs that DO NOT require a Ph.D since I don't have one and neither do I intend to.

For example, www.higheredjobs.com allows me to narrow my search to jobs in community colleges in the US. These jobs at CCs in US usually don't require a Ph.D. Is there a way to find about similar jobs in Canada?

Thanks a lot.
octoprof
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:12:09 pm »

These jobs at CCs in US usually don't require a Ph.D.

That's a pretty broad generalization.

I bet zinnerson will have some advice for you about Canadian college jobs.

Love your neighbor.

Your new cephaloverlord.
ALL HAIL TO THE OCTO!!!

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
mishal

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:22:33 pm »

Regarding the generalization, I was talking from my experience in job search in my field of Economics. Obviously the requirements will vary a lot across fields.

Now that I am curious, is it the case that many CCs require Ph.Ds now?
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:25:08 pm »

Regarding the generalization, I was talking from my experience in job search in my field of Economics. Obviously the requirements will vary a lot across fields.

Now that I am curious, is it the case that many CCs require Ph.Ds now?

I'm sure this depends on discipline and, to some extent, on geography.

In my field (accounting), for example, it's highly unlikely CCs can require a PhD.  In English or History, it's a whole different story, surely.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:25:44 pm by octoprof » Logged

Love your neighbor.

Your new cephaloverlord.
ALL HAIL TO THE OCTO!!!

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
helpful

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 9:57:17 pm »

Many colleges in Canada are becoming universities in their own right. Therefore they require Ph.Ds. However, you might check www.universityaffairs.ca for jobs.

PS Americans use the term college and university interchangeably. In Canada, though, 'college' either refers to a sub-institution of a university or a community/technical training college.

I assume the OP is referring to 'colleges' as community colleges?
birds_man

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 11:42:55 pm »

Dear OP,

I hate to be the one to break it to you but CCs do not exist in Canada, they have 1 or 2 (very new) 4-year Colleges (like Quest in BC) but 99% of higher Ed in Canada grants Masters and Ph.Ds. Since you do not have a Ph.D. it will be very hard for you to get in the system. I am Canadian and moved to the US because I want to do more teaching and do less research. I am a T-T biology associate faculty member at a CC. I was the only one with a Ph.D. in a pool of 50 + applicants: guess who got the job... There are more of us (recent graduates) out there and CCs are starting to get more picky, it is not a "buyer's market" anymore. At least not in Biology. Hopefully it is different in your field.
Best of luck in your search.
helpful

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 6:13:56 pm »

Dear OP,

I hate to be the one to break it to you but CCs do not exist in Canada, they have 1 or 2 (very new) 4-year Colleges (like Quest in BC) but 99% of higher Ed in Canada grants Masters and Ph.Ds. Since you do not have a Ph.D. it will be very hard for you to get in the system. I am Canadian and moved to the US because I want to do more teaching and do less research. I am a T-T biology associate faculty member at a CC. I was the only one with a Ph.D. in a pool of 50 + applicants: guess who got the job... There are more of us (recent graduates) out there and CCs are starting to get more picky, it is not a "buyer's market" anymore. At least not in Biology. Hopefully it is different in your field.
Best of luck in your search.

Sorry, you are wrong there. Quest is not a college, it is a (private) university. Community Colleges do exist in Canada, though they often go by names like X college or X Institute, or X Institute of Technology. For example, there is Mohawk College in Hamilton and Brantford, Loyalist College in Belleville, Camosun College in Victoria, College of New Caledonia in Northern BC, SAIT and NAIT in Alberta, Wascana Institute in Saskatchewan, Kelsey Institute in Saskatchewan. I could go on. These are all Higher education institutions that do not grant 4 year degrees, though some offer 2 years of a program that is then accepted at universities.

It is no wonder you left Canada if you didn't know all this!

birds_man

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 1:43:18 am »

Hi helpful,

You are correct Quest is a (private) university which offers bachelors. In good old US terminology it means it is a 4-year College (public or private who cares?).
You are also correct they have technical community Colleges in Canada, you provided plenty of good examples. I guess I should have made things clearer, they do not have general ed CCs or US type 4-year Colleges (except again for that new Quest U).
If the OP is looking for work in technical fields look for what helpful was pointing at. However I was under the impression that the OP is looking more for general Ed. That is not the mission of schools like Mohawk in Hamilton, for that you go accross the street to McMaster (well more like 8 min by bus if we get technical).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: