• August 27, 2016
August 27, 2016, 4:34:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheesy songs you are ashamed you love  (Read 69076 times)
samspade

« on: October 20, 2008, 11:22:37 pm »

I got sucked into this list I found on Yahoo music of the cheesiest songs of the 1970s. http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/99685/the-25-cheesiest-hits-of-the-1970s/
I was a little ashamed to note that of a list of 25, I had 5 of the songs on my Ipod. Including a song which I think is the cheesiest of all, but I dearly love for some reason, Escape, the Pina Colada Song . Anyone else have anything embarrassing on your Ipod or music collection?
king_ghidorah
Disgruntled and looking for a little gruntle
Distinguished Senior Member

Give me three steps, give me three steps, mister.

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:28:03 pm »

Sonny and Cher: "I got you babe."

Anything by Van Halen.

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling??
samspade

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:34:39 pm »

Van Halen is never cheesy. To my dying day, i will insist there is no better guitar rift then Eddie's opening one in Running with the Devil.
shiraz

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:45:34 pm »

"Gloria" (Laura Branigan)
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:05:08 am »

Votes on "Dust in the Wind" - classic, or cheesy?

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 12:42:32 am »

This is not a list of cheesy 70s songs.  It does have a few, but most are rather good, and some are not really from the 70s (Melanie's song was an old bordello tune).

You want 70s real cheese? 

Starland Vocal Band's Afternoon Delight
Terry Jacks Season in the Sun
Paper Lace, The Night Chicago Died
Hooked on a Feeling - not the bad original Mark James/BJ Thomas version (which I think was late 60s) but the worse "ooga chugga" version by Blue Swede
Captain and Tenille, Love Will Keep Us Together
Glen Campbell, Rhinestone Cowboy
The Carpenters, pretty much everything
Something Lighthouse, Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes
Janis Ian, At Seventeen
Barry Manilow, pretty much everything
Maria Muldaur, Midnight at the Oasis
someone or other, Put your hand in the hand
Osmonds, pretty much everything, but Puppy Love for starters
Shaun bleeding Cassiday, for heaven's sake

And this is just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head...not including the entire genre of disco. - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
samspade

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 12:45:54 am »

I somewhat ashamed to say I have Rhinestone Cowboy andThe Night Chicago Died on my Ipod. I love Glen Campbell, what can I say.
johnr

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 1:02:06 am »

Anything by Jimmy Buffet.  I love the guy, I love his songs.  I know it's cheesy, I don't care.   
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 1:05:26 am »

I think DvF has a point here.  The songs on DvF's list are cheesy.  I would describe the ones on the yahoo site as lame.

Two very different things, I think.

daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 2:11:28 am »

I somewhat ashamed to say I have Rhinestone Cowboy andThe Night Chicago Died on my Ipod.

Just make sure not to wear those boots if you go walkabout on "the east side of Chicago". - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 2:20:45 am »

The finest cheesy song ever is Good Girls Don't by The Knack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc3KXwd8ZWQ

I can be happy anywhere I have a little money and the cops aren't after me--I'm still searching for this place.
samspade

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 2:59:58 am »

I somewhat ashamed to say I have Rhinestone Cowboy andThe Night Chicago Died on my Ipod.

Just make sure not to wear those boots if you go walkabout on "the east side of Chicago". - DvF

Not to worry. My old man is from the South Side and my mom from Oak Park. I'll stay out of the east side.
carebearstare
Pinging

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 7:52:49 am »

Didn't we have a similar conversation on another thread--musical guilty pleasures? I have to say, about 50% of the music I like is certifiably cheesy, but I'm not really ashamed of any of it. There's also different kinds of cheesy--Foreigner's "Urgent" cheese vs. Boyz II Men "I'll Make Love To You" cheese. It's like the difference between a fine manchego and a delicate, supple herbed goat cheese.

There's also "novelty" songs that I would classify as Cheez Whiz, which I would find it impossible for anyone to actually like. "YMCA," for instance. I would like to meet the person who hears a snippet of "YMCA" playing softly on a car radio and say "Oooo! I love that song! Turn it up!" Then I would like to have a long talk with that person.

Well, some posters were being naughty here.
al_wallace

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 8:23:12 am »

Songs that Leif Garrett sang on the Chips episode "Roller Disco" (a two part episode if I remember correctly). In fact, any Leif Garrett song used in a music montage in which Leif Garrett guest starred.
ursula
Fooled everyone into thinking I'm a

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 10:06:25 am »

"Gloria" (Laura Branigan)

Hey!  That one's great to dance to!

"Love is better than anger.  Hope is better than fear.  Optimism is better than despair."
Jack Layton, 1950-2011
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: