• September 27, 2016
September 27, 2016, 8:09:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: book chapter invite - SCIYO? questions  (Read 7418 times)
chiprof6

« on: December 16, 2009, 3:58:30 pm »

I recently received an email to write a book chapter for publisher SCIYO.  Here's part of the email:

"The book will be published by SCIYO, world's largest science & technology open access publisher. All SCIYO books are published both in hard copy and online, with completely free access to read, share and download.
To enable free access to the worldwide scientific community, Sciyo charges a publication fee of 470 euro per chapter. Publishing fee covers the review process, complementary hard copy and an online edition of the book.
SCIYO is also the first open access academic publisher to pay author royalties based on the number of chapter downloads."

Has anyone published with this group?  Is it typical to ask an author for a publishing fee for a textbook?  If you've ever done this, did you actually end up getting money for royalties?  I'm trying to decide whether this is fishy or just how it's done - never written a chapter before.  It would obviously be nice to put in my tenure dossier....  Thoughts?
offthemarket
Still a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 5:16:55 pm »

This email was spam.

It's a vanity press.  They're charging you 750 bucks to publish an article.  They give you one copy of the book.  They are looking for people who are need to list a book chapter in their tenure dossier, and are willing to pay for it.  The "royalties" are miniscule compared to your page charges.

I have published some papers with open access models, with page charges from 500-1500, but with legitimate journals boasting a real readership, genuine peer review and listing in major indices along with an impact factor.  At my institution, this chapter would make my dossier look weaker, not stronger.
chiprof6

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 6:10:29 pm »

Ok thanks for backing my intuition up.  Hitting the delete key!  I thought it all seemed a little "not right".
sacroiliac

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 7:30:05 am »

This email was spam.

It's a vanity press.  They're charging you 750 bucks to publish an article.  They give you one copy of the book.  They are looking for people who are need to list a book chapter in their tenure dossier, and are willing to pay for it.  The "royalties" are miniscule compared to your page charges.

I have published some papers with open access models, with page charges from 500-1500, but with legitimate journals boasting a real readership, genuine peer review and listing in major indices along with an impact factor.  At my institution, this chapter would make my dossier look weaker, not stronger.

They are miniscule on a per download basis. But here you have two options - (1) have your graduate students spend a few days downloading multiple copies of your chapter or (2) automate the process by writing a few lines of code and then download it several million times. Can you say "retirement package"?

sciyo

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:39:55 am »

This email was spam.

Just a few remarks...

The invitation email isn't spam, only authors selected based on their research history are invited to contribute.

Also, all Sciyo's publications undergo rigorous refereeing. Chapters which don't meet the quality criteria do not get published, meaning it is not vanity publishing or any sort of pay-to-publish scheme. The publishing fee goes towards the actual publishing costs (review and distribution to indices being among them). The information regarding readership can be found at Sciyo's website.
sciyo

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:54:10 am »

[quote/]
They are miniscule on a per download basis. But here you have two options - (1) have your graduate students spend a few days downloading multiple copies of your chapter or (2) automate the process by writing a few lines of code and then download it several million times. Can you say "retirement package"?
[/quote]

The fee is meant to be an incentive for authors of highly used work and is also a reward to authors who publish with Sciyo more than once. It certainly won't allow anyone to retire early, but for author's of most downloaded work it can end up surpassing the publication fee.
Unfortunately for those planning to engage in less than ethical practice of downloading their own publication, a reliable system will be put in place to prevent them.
john_proctor

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 11:52:49 am »

Oh dear.

Is this going to become ORT 2.0?

"Look upon me! I'll show you the 'life of the mind.'"
pocksuppet
Anthony Kiedis made me famous by wearing me on his

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 1:19:03 pm »

I personally would be wary of an online press whose employees are mystified by the CHE fora quote function.

Unfortunately for those planning to engage in less than ethical practice of downloading their own publication, a reliable system will be put in place to prevent them.

You haven't nailed that down yet?  Better get cracking.

Oh dear.

Is this going to become ORT 2.0?

Perhaps SCIYO can publish the ORT proceedings?

Of course I'm cranky.  Somebody's hand is up my ass!
mad_doctor

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 2:40:33 pm »

I dunno, as they say - there's a chair for every a$$.  I'm thinking SCIYO may provide a valuable service for a modest fee.  I was once at a school where a couple of the admins attended ORT, which wasn't so bad, but then they put a big PR announcement on the school website bragging about how they were selected to attend the the prestigious ORT with other elite VIPs from around the world.  Our Dean at the time was also very proud of being listed in several "Who's Who".  I'm pretty sure none of these admins would scoff at SCIYO.  In fact, they'd be way more likely to make a big PR deal out of it and put a PR announcement on the front page of the website.  A professor could easily get tenure at such a school by making a vita entirely out of SCIYO, ORT, and various other pay-for-publication journals, and nobody except a handful of other professors on the P&T committee would ever suspect anything.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: