• March 27, 2017
March 27, 2017, 10:16:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's play "What's the Nastiest Evaluation Comment This Semester?"  (Read 24124 times)
mccfan

« on: May 25, 2010, 11:08:33 am »

One of my students absolutely despised me this term. Oh, sure, many of them "heart" me, or think I'm "cool." But the winner of the "I wish I could track you down like the dog you are" award goes to whomever wrote this one--

"She dressed terrible! Dress professional and not like a bum....She talks about pointless stuff. Class is so boring...Act like a teacher and not like a janitor."

Anyone else care to share?
writingprof

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:24:13 pm »

"[Writingprof] is racists aganst Hispancs."  (sic)

If racism is evident in the assigning of a failing grade to someone who 1) didn't turn in most of the assignments, 2) neither speaks nor writes English well enough to pass anyone's Composition class, or 3) bizarrely stayed in the course after repeated suggestions that dropping might be in order, then who among us is innocent?

There was only one "hispanc" in the class, so I kind of know it was you, friend.

Writingprof is in a different universe of discourse.
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Goes to 11

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 1:01:58 pm »

"This class SUCKED and the professor is the most unqualified so-called professor I have EVER run across here at Flyover State. It was RIDICULOUS how hard her tests were and she wouldn't even tell us what will be on them! Didn't care AT ALL about if we learned or not and I can tell you it was mostly NOT! I learned NOTHING in this class it was a COMPLETE waste of my time and my classmates! Don't even THINK about cheating, she will crucify you for it and your entire college career will be a waste of time! Dr. Anakin needs to remember that we are TEACHERS, not scientists, it is not like we have to know everything or live up to her exacting standards! And go a LOT slower and wait for us to learn something!"

IOW, not a surprise at all.

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
goldenapple

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 1:13:39 pm »

I learned NOTHING in this class it was a COMPLETE waste of my time and my classmates! Don't even THINK about cheating, she will crucify you for it and your entire college career will be a waste of time!

What? The professor doesn't even allow cheating?!? Jeez, no wonder you didn't learn anything.

This one's a classic, anakin!
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 1:15:35 pm »

I learned NOTHING in this class it was a COMPLETE waste of my time and my classmates! Don't even THINK about cheating, she will crucify you for it and your entire college career will be a waste of time!

What? The professor doesn't even allow cheating?!? Jeez, no wonder you didn't learn anything.

This one's a classic, anakin!

Yes, I seem to be the Forum "Classic Magnet." Lucky me.

(Actually this one made me laugh. Sort of.)

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
tuxthepenguin

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 1:22:55 pm »

You mean you guys actually look at the evaluations? I taught two sections of the same class last semester, and I stopped reading the evaluations after about the sixth section I taught. Most are positive, some wish I would die, and none provide useful feedback.
erzuliefreda

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 1:31:06 pm »

"This is by far the worst history class I have taken at University X. . . . I hope I never have to take another class from this professor."

Back at ya, pal.

alchemist

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 1:33:40 pm »

I have a minor in Chemistry already and he confuses the heck out of me. I already knew this stuff before he tried to teach it!! His tests are extremely easy with lots of extra points.

So, this one is 2 years old... but it just stings.
spectacle

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 3:06:00 pm »

"You are a jerk."

I think this thread is going well. Don't you think this thread is going well?
neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 3:07:57 pm »

My school doesn't solicit a great deal of student evaluation, especially for tenured faculty.  Just every so often.  This is largely because the union resists it.  I would bemoan the fact if I thought it made any difference, but I don't think it does.

I tend to solicit very specialized feedback on aspects of my courses that I am not sure about, and I find that helpful.  Sometimes I make it anonymous (through Blackboard), and sometimes I give some extra credit for it.  It helps to rule out nasty comments.  

I barely look at the official student evaluations when they do eventually get to me.

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
kaysixteen

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 4:14:46 pm »

Anakin's post depresses me, not even the part about her not allowing cheating.   This poster proudly self-id's as a 'teacher'... I don't want any kid of mine within a light year of any school hu'll ever work at (and notice I said 'work at', not 'teach at').
zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 4:22:44 pm »

One of my students absolutely despised me this term. Oh, sure, many of them "heart" me, or think I'm "cool." But the winner of the "I wish I could track you down like the dog you are" award goes to whomever wrote this one--

"She dressed terrible! Dress professional and not like a bum....She talks about pointless stuff. Class is so boring...Act like a teacher and not like a janitor."

Anyone else care to share?

This is too funny. Mccfan the wannabe janitor, talkin' about pointless stuff. How do you dress, anyway???

I
pennsyltucky

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 4:25:01 pm »

"This class SUCKED and the professor is the most unqualified so-called professor I have EVER run across here at Flyover State. It was RIDICULOUS how hard her tests were and she wouldn't even tell us what will be on them! Didn't care AT ALL about if we learned or not and I can tell you it was mostly NOT! I learned NOTHING in this class it was a COMPLETE waste of my time and my classmates! Don't even THINK about cheating, she will crucify you for it and your entire college career will be a waste of time! Dr. Anakin needs to remember that we are TEACHERS, not scientists, it is not like we have to know everything or live up to her exacting standards! And go a LOT slower and wait for us to learn something!"

I want to call her up and say, "Still waiting!"
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 6:32:20 pm »

This looks like the student is confused about the difference between an RMP post and an evaluation.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
rebelgirl
"The only and thoroughbred lady" --Joe Hill said so.

"A hardened English teacher"--Disgruntled Student

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 6:34:39 pm »

This looks like the student is confused about the difference between an RMP post and an evaluation.

I hope Anakin's admincritters are not thus confused. . . .

I blame all of our problems on that frikkin' Timmy. Lassie should have left his lazy @$$ in the well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: