The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Do you enjoy being in the middle of the action? The Chronicle is seeking a proactive Office Operations Specialist to act as the face and voice of The Chronicle for visitors and customers and as a key access point to facilities services for staff members. You'll maintain strong working relationships with company staff as the "go to" person for office services. Additionally, you'll be a partner to our audience development team by addressing first-line inquiries from subscribers and account holders regarding subscriptions to our newspapers and online services.
What you'll do:
- Answer and route all phone calls efficiently and correctly by quickly learning all Chronicle activities, products and services, and staff roles and responsibilities. Be familiar with Chronicle activities, products and services, and staff roles and responsibilities in order to route calls correctly.
- Greet each Chronicle visitor and staff members in an engaged and welcoming manner.
- Maintain office security by notifying the facilities manager or assistant office manager immediately if someone enters without checking in.
- Handle administrative duties such as front desk manuals and parking passes.
External Customer Service
- Respond to customer service emails from subscribers, account holders, and others to discuss or resolve questions regarding site licenses and subscriber services.
- Provide back-up support to the fulfillment bureau and customer engagement manager through answering phone calls for basic customer service. Evaluate calls and transfer to appropriate staff, as necessary.
- Manage the editor's email inbox and regularly distribute and clear the inbox.
Internal Customer Service
- Manage and distribute office access key fobs to all staff members.
- Input tickets into Web Help Desk and Carr, CMMS for office repairs, maintenance, and meeting support.
- Act as first point of contact for questions from staff members regarding service. Proactively manage and monitor ticketing system to make sure tickets are progressing and being closed out.
- Manage the receipt of faxes to the organizational efax number. Deliver faxes within 2 hours of receipt to appropriate staff person.
Who you are:
- 2 years' experience with reception or customer service, and office support. High School diploma is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills - welcoming, warm and capable phone manner and professional email writing etiquette. Attention to detail is ingrained in everything you do.
- Motivated to seek out information, develop solutions to daily challenges and know when to ask for help to be more efficient.
- Enjoy handling multiple tasks at once and displaying your creative problem solving skills.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft office suite is required. Sales Force, AMS and WebHelpDesk are a plus.
- Must have the ability to navigate and search in software systems for customer information.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Office Operations Specialist" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a full-time intern to help support a busy Marketing and Strategy department. This internship will last for approximately 6 months. This is a terrific opportunity for graduate students or recent graduates who want to gain experience in publication advertising and marketing, product development, research, and strategy development.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting with marketing initiatives across multiple product lines including competitive analysis, new product development, general research, and content management.
- Support in list building exercises that allow and enable marking to communicate directly with specified buyer personas
- Measuring marketing campaign results, and developing reports and analysis in Excel.
- Apply business and analytical acumen to critically evaluate the information gathered from multiple sources, synthesize large volumes of data into actionable insights for decision making.
- Working with Salesforce.com CRM database to organize sales and marketing lead lists
- Helping to support the sales staff of the recruitment and corporate client advertising departments.
- Researching new sales leads for the advertising sales staff.
- A strong interest in marketing and the publishing industry.
- Superior writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- A strong interest in market research and product development.
- An analytical thinker with the ability to create and maintain marketing reports and presentations.
- The ability to be resourceful and handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Proficient and knowledgeable in Microsoft Office programs, particularly, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Sound organizational skills.
- The ability to be proactive and work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal skills.
The Chronicle offers interns a weekly stipend, a friendly work environment, and an attractive downtown Washington DC location within easy walking distance of both the Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom Metro stations. Please send a résumé and cover letter outlining your job experience and skills to at firstname.lastname@example.org.. No phone calls, please.
The ChronicleVitae.com is seeking a highly-motivated Account Executive to drive the growth of Vitae Recruiter Tool, a SaaS recruitment tool for higher education institutions. This is a hunter role, not an account manager. The Account Executive will tap into potential client opportunities and generate new business by understanding client talent needs and drive the effective implementation and adoption of Vitae's digital talent solutions to reach their objectives. In this role, you'll consult with clients and drive sales in the West Coast region.
This role is responsible for meeting or exceeding quarterly quotas and growing market share.
Launched by The Chronicle of Higher Education in 2013, ChronicleVitae.com is now the largest online community of higher education professionals. The Vitae Recruiter Tool offers higher education institutions access to this community to find and hire the best talent for both faculty and staff openings.
Location: Washington DC
Territory: West Coast
What you'll do:
- Responsible for the management of the sales process from working directly with a lead generation associate for leads to closing sales through to final account set up.
- Maintain a high level of daily outbound activity to generate leads
- Prospect and work on outbound and inbound leads to build pipeline and grow strong relationships with prospects.
- Be familiar with competitive Websites and talent solutions and be able to effectively communicate Vitae's value proposition to our clients and prospects.
- Consult with clients to present Vitae Recruiter tool and recruitment solutions that will allow us to significantly grow Vitae Recruiter sales.
- Develop and execute on a strategic plan for the territory and document and distribute competitive information.
- Listen and learn the needs of the market, sharing insights with product and marketing teams.
- Work directly with inside staff and through our sales information systems to identify revenue opportunities.
- Develop and expand opportunities to leverage purchases across academe.
- Close new business consistently at or above quota level.
Who you are:
- 3+ years experience in online product sales, with demonstrated and verifiable track record of meeting and exceeding revenue expectations.
- SaaS sales experience
- Experience generating new business and building a book of business from scratch.
- Superior sales, presentation and relationship management skills. Articulate and professional presentation style.
- Consultative sales experience is required.
- Strong negotiation and accurate forecasting skills.
- Ability to travel approximately 30% of the time.
- Ability to work with Salesforce and other sales information systems.
- Bachelor's degree and completion of formal sales training.
Preferred knowledge and experience:
- Selling recruiting, recruitment media, or human resources software.
- Understanding of the higher education system and buying process
- Start-up or entrepreneurial background
Interested candidates should send a resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Account Executive" in the subject heading.
Are you looking to work for an organization with an outstanding reputation and products? Are you interested in working in a fast-paced, innovative environment? Are you a creative problem-solver with exceptional marketing skills?
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a talented Marketing Specialist to assist with the development and management of content marketing, promotional and lead generation campaigns for our corporate, image and global clients. You'll be responsible for assisting with driving engagement and lead generation for sales - playing an active role in the development of strategic sales tools.
What you'll do:
- Assist with developing sales tools, proposals, and marketing materials for clients and product lines.
- Coordinate project schedules in conjunction with other departments (Sales, Marketing Communications, Business Marketing, etc.) to ensure that sponsorship programs and marketing deliverables meet expected outcomes; deadlines are met, and programs are executed on time.
- Assist in monitoring performance of all client programs and work with team members to help optimize campaigns, as needed.
- Assist in developing strategic selling tools, including messaging and differentiated positioning; and sales training programs.
- Assist in developing and maintaining dashboards for marketing KPIs and sponsorship programs delivering timely reporting to all stakeholders.
- Conduct market and competitive research and deliver timely reports to sales and marketing staff.
- Excellent writing ability; presentation, and tremendous organizational and time management skills.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze data and campaign performance.
- Previous experience managing multiple projects in a variety of mediums.
- Proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel is a must
- Knowledge of Salesforce and Omniture a plus.
- Professionalism, attention to detail, and are a team player who is able to thrive in a deadline-driven environment.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Marketing Specialist" in the subject heading.