The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Daily-News Reporter | Assistant Manager, Advertising Operations | Director, Product Strategy | Sales Associate, Vitae Talent Solutions | Senior Marketing Manager | Email Marketing Specialist | Temporary Reporter | Marketing Manager | Office Operations Specialist
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking an enterprising reporter to join our daily-news team. The reporter will cover a range of issues shedding light on higher education in a time of change — with a particular focus on the experiences of the faculty members at the center of the academic enterprise.
Your chief responsibility will be to produce smart, engaging coverage that speaks to the themes and concerns that touch professors and administrators every day. You'll write about the working life of professors, including career development, workplace culture, and the processes of writing, conducting research, and publishing. Through creative story ideas and careful reporting, your work will shed light on the everyday experiences of scholars whose roles are increasingly public and, in many cases, increasingly tenuous. You'll also investigate the varied ways that institutions are grappling with disruptions in the economy, shifts in student demographics, evolving state and federal policies, and concerns about diversity, inclusion, and campus climates.
We're looking for a smooth, confident writer who combines a deep understanding of higher education with strong news judgment. The right candidate has at least three years of experience and is a natural storyteller who can mine new sources to generate creative and distinctive story ideas, framed for a national audience. You'll need to be self-motivated and proactive, eager to collaborate with others, attuned to how news is distributed online, and flexible enough to juggle multiple stories and approaches at once. You'll write often on deadline, and you'll look to drive conversations about the big issues facing the profession.
The Chronicle is independently owned and based in Washington, D.C. Our pay is commensurate with experience, and our benefits are among the best in the business.
If this sounds like the place you want to make your mark, send a cover letter, resume, five clips, and five brief pitches for story ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is hiring a highly motivated, energetic Assistant Manager, Advertising Operations. This position will upload and monitor the delivery of online advertising campaigns for all three Chronicle websites in Google DFP. The assistant manager provides campaign statistic reports to sales representatives, advertisers, and agencies. You will partner with sales representatives and advertisers by maintaining inventory availability for all web sites. The assistant manager collaborates with sales representatives in all print and online advertising matters, including billing and invoicing. You will be joining a strong advertising operations team and will provide back up to the Director and advertising operations associate.
What you'll do:
- Responsible for maintaining the integrity of all live campaigns and ensuring that pacing, quality and performance goals are executed effectively and efficiently.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of Google DFP capabilities not limited to: audience targeting (build market segmentations and products); data collection (pixels, beacons, etc.); and reporting.
- Enter advertising orders, process materials, answer phone calls, set up accounts, and respond to billing inquiries.
- Collaborate with Chronicle Developers and Google DFP to resolve any online advertising production errors.
- Create, maintain and distribute sales and service productivity reports to sales reps, advertisers, and agencies.
- Educate customers on media products and services, identify potential sales opportunities, and refer leads to account managers.
- Maintain and monitor inventory and quality of all ads, and provide optimization recommendations by analyzing impressions, engagements, and active view.
- Complete monthly billing for online advertising, and provide back up to the Advertising Operations Associate for weekly billing for print advertising.
- Prepare special reports as requested by the sales staff, advertisers, marketing department, and management, as needed.
- Schedule and produce Advertiser-sponsored Webinars.
- Assist the Advertising Operations Associate in scheduling advertising in e-mail newsletters and maintaining the e-mail newsletter availability calendar.
- Assist the Director, Advertising Operations and Advertising Operations Associate with print advertising production for all publications when needed.
- Maintain knowledge of print and online advertising production, and participate in training and testing for all new products.
- Research and identify new ways to improve digital and desktop technology.
- Research and resolve billing discrepancies and conflicts with advertisers and the Accounting Department.
- Assist in orienting new team members, and maintain instruction and training documentation.
Who you are:
- 2+ years managing complex operational processes in online advertising.
- Familiarity with ad systems and technologies including Google DFP, Operative, 3rd Party Ad Servers, or similar systems and technologies.
- IAB Ad Ops Certification preferred
- Proficient with MS Excel
- Strong skills and capabilities in communication, customer service, organization and analysis
- Passion for digital marketing, curiosity towards industry technology
- Ability to work well with others and to multitask in a deadline-driven environment with a positive attitude
- Ability to define problems, collect data, draw conclusions and present findings to clients and sales reps
- Ability to assume accountability for completing assignments accurately and in a timely manner
- Experience with non-profits, institutions of higher education, and associations a plus
- Bachelor's degree required
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Advertising Operations" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle is seeking a highly motivated Director, Product Strategy to lead the business strategy for growth and development of our recruitment-related products for the higher education and philanthropy markets. In this role, you will ensure that The Chronicle's job board and related products and services are the best in our industry with smart, sophisticated, user-centered services, features, and design. This newly created position reports to the Deputy Publisher and is a member of a strong management team that is aligned around integrating recruitment content across all of our sites and accomplishing a shared set of goals as part of a major strategic initiative.
As Director, Product Strategy, you will be responsible for ensuring our products are aligned with our customers' needs from job poster and job seeker perspectives. You will work to analyze recruitment and higher education strategies and market changes to identify and integrate improvements that keep The Chronicle's job services the best in the market.
What you'll do:
Understand higher education and non-profit recruiters and job seekers
- Maintain expert, up-to-date knowledge of the talent management landscape in higher education and philanthropy.
- Understand our current and potential customer base broadly and how their behaviors reflect trends in higher education, philanthropy, and recruiting
- Understand customer use of Chronicle products - both print and online - and ensure a positive customer experience. Drive product enhancements based on customer knowledge.
- Develop and use internal and external customer data and business intelligence to inform strategy.
Develop a winning product strategy
- Lead the development and execution of product strategy for higher education and philanthropy recruitment in print and online.
- Position The Chronicle's products for success in the market with both posters and seekers, differentiated from competitors.
- In collaboration with others, lead the consideration and launch of new products. Define, test, and validate product ideas.
- Use a systematic, customer-centric, and data-drive approach to developing product strategy.
Lead product design
- Develop product goals in partnership with Deputy Publisher and recruitment leadership team.
- Lead product design and development. Set clear priorities and adjust as necessary. Make decisions about product features.
- Work with technology leadership to evaluate and/or prototype new product features.
- Significant leadership experience with customer focused product development
- Bachelor's degree and 7+ years of experience in field of expertise
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively across all levels of the organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent product design judgment
Preferred knowledge and experience:
- Strong knowledge of recruiting and talent management products and product users
- Understanding of higher education and non-profit markets
- Understanding of software development life cycle and principles of user interface design
- Understanding of business analysis, research, and financial modeling to determine product feasibility
- Supervisory and team management experience
Interested candidates should send a resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Product Strategy" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a driven Sales Associate to join our Vitae team. The Sales Associate will be responsible for lead generation by contacting potential clients and setting meetings for the Vitae Sales Team. This newly created position will help drive our growth as part of a major strategic initiative.
Working with the Sales Manager, this position will create a target list of prospects from higher education institutions across the United States. The Sales Associate will need to be able to work independently in initiating the sales process by qualifying opportunities and scheduling appointments. Vitae (chroniclevitae.com) is the fast-growing online community for higher education. It's the place where faculty and administrators come for candid advice on academic careers and career development tools. Through Vitae Recruiter, clients can pinpoint candidates for their open positions and invite them to apply for their jobs.
What you'll do:
- Maintain a high level of outbound activity including daily calls and emails to target prospects.
- Build strong relationships with key decision-makers in higher education.
- Be familiar with competitive Websites and talent solutions and be able to effectively communicate Vitae's value proposition to our clients and prospects..
- Listen to the needs of the market and share insights with product and marketing teams..
- Work directly with inside staff and through The Chronicles' sales information systems to identify revenue opportunities..
- Develop a full understanding of higher education structure, roles, and buying process for VR. Become knowledgeable about specific client needs in individual sales territory..
- Consistently meet or exceed weekly activity goals which include number of phone calls, emails, appointments set and opportunities generated.
- Produce reports on a weekly basis describing territory sales activities..
Who you are:
- Experienced in cold calling and new business development.
- Articulate and professional, excellent communication skills.
- Outgoing and enthusiastic.
- 1-3 years of experience in a B2B lead generation role preferred.
- Understanding of the higher education system and buying process is a plus .
- Bachelor's degree is required.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Sales Associate" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a talented Senior Marketing Manager who will be responsible and accountable for the creation, execution, and effectiveness of team activities to meet marketing goals and maximize revenue for The Chronicle of Higher Education. The Senior Marketing Manager will manage a small team of marketers to develop brand marketing programs and major campaigns from conception through completion using a project management approach, ensuring efficient use of all team resources and achievement of project goals within given timelines.
What you’ll do:
- Develop strategies and tactics to build brand and product recognition and market share, as well as digital, print, and live event revenue for all properties.
- Ensure consistent company and product positioning throughout all marketing materials.
- Manage the planning, content development, and execution of outbound marketing campaigns to generate quality leads.
- Partner with cross-functional groups (Market Strategy, Recruitment, Audience Development, Sales, and Editorial teams) to inform strategic decision-making on marketing initiatives.
- Work with Marketing Operations Manager to effectively manage marketing databases and technologies to ensure their efficient and effective use.
- Develop a robust content marketing strategy that drives deeper engagement among target personas with our brands and products.
- Manage matrixed team resources to deliver effective marketing efforts on time and on budget.
- Ensure a metrics-driven culture within the department and measure performance of all campaign activities, using results to improve future efforts.
- Responsible for monitoring, measuring, and optimizing all marketing and advertising projects with the goal of increasing response rates, leads and sales conversions.
Who you are:
- 6-8 years of experience in a product or campaign marketing role, preferably working in a publishing/media environment.
- 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated track record in executing integrated campaigns in a variety of mediums including print, digital, events, and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business or equivalent field of study preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Marketing Manager” in the subject heading.
The Chronicle is seeking a strong, well-rounded Email Marketing Specialist to create, automate, and measure engaging email marketing campaigns for The Chronicle. In this role, you will be the main point of contact for all business promotional emails, and will coordinate with the marketing communications team members and other stakeholders to create campaign strategy content.
What you'll do:
- Perform day-to-day email marketing activities including, email and landing page set-up, segmentation, scheduling, testing, and deployment of email campaigns.
- Continuously optimize email and segmentation strategies to drive higher returns through testing of subject lines, messaging, images, offers, frequency, segments, etc.
- Manage day-to-day operations of The Chronicle's marketing automation system and troubleshoot technical problems and assist all Eloqua users.
- Maintain the health of the email marketing lists by managing how contacts enter the database, including manual uploads and automated integrations, reducing list decay, and managing the email marketing calendar.
- Work with Marketing Operations Manager to uncover new segmentations based upon user actions and company strategic goals.
- Provide leadership and stay updated on trends, industry best practices, technologies and growth opportunities to ensure a best-in-class email-marketing program.
- Update advertiser/university/nonprofit microsites for both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy using The Chronicle's CRM.
- Contribute to the maintenance of The Chronicle's business websites including updating and maintaining library of promotional one-sheet PDFs linked from the pages of business website.
Who you are:
- Working knowledge of email marketing best practices.
- Basic HTML knowledge.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze campaign performance.
- Experience creating and implementing lead scoring programs is a plus, but not required.
- 2+ years' experience in email marketing using marketing email service providers or online tools (i.e. Eloqua and Adobe Marketing Cloud)
- Experience with Salesforce.com preferred but not required
- Knowledge/awareness of the higher education and nonprofit industries a plus, but not required.
- Bachelor's degree required
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Email Marketing Specialist" in the subject heading.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a temporary staff reporter to fill in for a six-month period while a staff member is on leave. This reporter will cover a range of issues facing college campuses, with a particular focus on teaching and learning.
Your chief responsibilities will be to identify and write smart, engaging stories about important events and debates on college campuses, about people who are shaping national conversations about higher education, and about ideas that show promise in solving problems that academic managers face. We're looking for someone who combines a strong understanding of higher education with sharp news judgment. The right candidate can generate distinctive story ideas, framed for a national audience, meet deadlines, and juggle multiple stories at once.
This is a full-time position that begins on Jan. 2, 2017, and ends on June 30, 2017. Pay is $1,000 per week. Health care is provided. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and five clips to Sara Hebel, assistant managing editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a talented Marketing Manager to join our Marketing Communications team. In this role, you will create innovative marketing campaigns to maximize advertising and sponsor revenue for The Chronicle. You will partner with the MarComm team to develop a robust content marketing strategy that drives deeper engagement among target personas with our brands and products.
What you'll do:
- Manage the planning, development, and execution of outbound marketing campaigns to generate quality leads for corporate and institutional sponsors.
- Support a metrics-driven culture within the department and measure performance of all campaign activities, using results to improve future efforts.
- Generate creative campaign concepts leveraging a range of internal and external marketing channels to support content marketing, sales enablement, and revenue generation initiatives.
- Develop and lead cross-channel analysis of specific campaigns to determine effectiveness and share findings across the organization and with senior leaders.
- Be a key contributor to creative brainstorming sessions and encourage active participation and creative problem solving from all team members.
Who you are:
- Demonstrated track record in executing integrated campaigns in a variety of mediums including social media.
- Understanding of ROI-oriented marketing, including experience with email and online tools such as Eloqua and Adobe Marketing Cloud.
- Effective, proactive planning, development (concept to completion), and project management skills are a must.
- 3-5 years of experience in a product or campaign marketing role, preferably with 2 years working in a publishing/media environment.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, business or equivalent field of study preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Marketing Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
Do you enjoy being in the middle of the action? The Chronicle is seeking a proactive Office Operations Specialist to act as the face and voice of The Chronicle for visitors and customers and as a key access point to facilities services for staff members. You'll maintain strong working relationships with company staff as the "go to" person for office services. Additionally, you'll be a partner to our audience development team by addressing first-line inquiries from subscribers and account holders regarding subscriptions to our newspapers and online services.
What you'll do:
- Answer and route all phone calls efficiently and correctly by quickly learning all Chronicle activities, products and services, and staff roles and responsibilities. Be familiar with Chronicle activities, products and services, and staff roles and responsibilities in order to route calls correctly.
- Greet each Chronicle visitor and staff members in an engaged and welcoming manner.
- Maintain office security by notifying the facilities manager or assistant office manager immediately if someone enters without checking in.
- Handle administrative duties such as front desk manuals and parking passes.
External Customer Service
- Respond to customer service emails from subscribers, account holders, and others to discuss or resolve questions regarding site licenses and subscriber services.
- Provide back-up support to the fulfillment bureau and customer engagement manager through answering phone calls for basic customer service. Evaluate calls and transfer to appropriate staff, as necessary.
- Manage the editor's email inbox and regularly distribute and clear the inbox.
Internal Customer Service
- Manage and distribute office access key fobs to all staff members.
- Input tickets into Web Help Desk and Carr, CMMS for office repairs, maintenance, and meeting support.
- Act as first point of contact for questions from staff members regarding service. Proactively manage and monitor ticketing system to make sure tickets are progressing and being closed out.
- Manage the receipt of faxes to the organizational efax number. Deliver faxes within 2 hours of receipt to appropriate staff person.
Who you are:
- 2 years' experience with reception or customer service, and office support. High School diploma is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills - welcoming, warm and capable phone manner and professional email writing etiquette. Attention to detail is ingrained in everything you do.
- Motivated to seek out information, develop solutions to daily challenges and know when to ask for help to be more efficient.
- Enjoy handling multiple tasks at once and displaying your creative problem solving skills.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft office suite is required. Sales Force, AMS and WebHelpDesk are a plus.
- Must have the ability to navigate and search in software systems for customer information.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Office Operations Specialist" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.