The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Chronicle is seeking a highly motivated Director, Product Strategy to lead the business strategy for growth and development of our recruitment-related products for the higher education and philanthropy markets. In this role, you will ensure that The Chronicle's job board and related products and services are the best in our industry with smart, sophisticated, user-centered services, features, and design. This newly created position reports to the Deputy Publisher and is a member of a strong management team that is aligned around integrating recruitment content across all of our sites and accomplishing a shared set of goals as part of a major strategic initiative.
As Director, Product Strategy, you will be responsible for ensuring our products are aligned with our customers' needs from job poster and job seeker perspectives. You will work to analyze recruitment and higher education strategies and market changes to identify and integrate improvements that keep The Chronicle's job services the best in the market.
What you'll do:
Understand higher education and non-profit recruiters and job seekers
- Maintain expert, up-to-date knowledge of the talent management landscape in higher education and philanthropy.
- Understand our current and potential customer base broadly and how their behaviors reflect trends in higher education, philanthropy, and recruiting
- Understand customer use of Chronicle products - both print and online - and ensure a positive customer experience. Drive product enhancements based on customer knowledge.
- Develop and use internal and external customer data and business intelligence to inform strategy.
Develop a winning product strategy
- Lead the development and execution of product strategy for higher education and philanthropy recruitment in print and online.
- Position The Chronicle's products for success in the market with both posters and seekers, differentiated from competitors.
- In collaboration with others, lead the consideration and launch of new products. Define, test, and validate product ideas.
- Use a systematic, customer-centric, and data-drive approach to developing product strategy.
Lead product design
- Develop product goals in partnership with Deputy Publisher and recruitment leadership team.
- Lead product design and development. Set clear priorities and adjust as necessary. Make decisions about product features.
- Work with technology leadership to evaluate and/or prototype new product features.
- Significant leadership experience with customer focused product development
- Bachelor's degree and 7+ years of experience in field of expertise
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively across all levels of the organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent product design judgment
Preferred knowledge and experience:
- Strong knowledge of recruiting and talent management products and product users
- Understanding of higher education and non-profit markets
- Understanding of software development life cycle and principles of user interface design
- Understanding of business analysis, research, and financial modeling to determine product feasibility
- Supervisory and team management experience
Interested candidates should send a resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Product Strategy" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
Do you enjoy being in the middle of the action? The Chronicle is seeking a proactive Office Operations Specialist to act as the face and voice of The Chronicle for visitors and customers and as a key access point to facilities services for staff members. You'll maintain strong working relationships with company staff as the "go to" person for office services. Additionally, you'll be a partner to our audience development team by addressing first-line inquiries from subscribers and account holders regarding subscriptions to our newspapers and online services.
What you'll do:
- Answer and route all phone calls efficiently and correctly by quickly learning all Chronicle activities, products and services, and staff roles and responsibilities. Be familiar with Chronicle activities, products and services, and staff roles and responsibilities in order to route calls correctly.
- Greet each Chronicle visitor and staff members in an engaged and welcoming manner.
- Maintain office security by notifying the facilities manager or assistant office manager immediately if someone enters without checking in.
- Handle administrative duties such as front desk manuals and parking passes.
External Customer Service
- Respond to customer service emails from subscribers, account holders, and others to discuss or resolve questions regarding site licenses and subscriber services.
- Provide back-up support to the fulfillment bureau and customer engagement manager through answering phone calls for basic customer service. Evaluate calls and transfer to appropriate staff, as necessary.
- Manage the editor's email inbox and regularly distribute and clear the inbox.
Internal Customer Service
- Manage and distribute office access key fobs to all staff members.
- Input tickets into Web Help Desk and Carr, CMMS for office repairs, maintenance, and meeting support.
- Act as first point of contact for questions from staff members regarding service. Proactively manage and monitor ticketing system to make sure tickets are progressing and being closed out.
- Manage the receipt of faxes to the organizational efax number. Deliver faxes within 2 hours of receipt to appropriate staff person.
Who you are:
- 2 years' experience with reception or customer service, and office support. High School diploma is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills - welcoming, warm and capable phone manner and professional email writing etiquette. Attention to detail is ingrained in everything you do.
- Motivated to seek out information, develop solutions to daily challenges and know when to ask for help to be more efficient.
- Enjoy handling multiple tasks at once and displaying your creative problem solving skills.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft office suite is required. Sales Force, AMS and WebHelpDesk are a plus.
- Must have the ability to navigate and search in software systems for customer information.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Office Operations Specialist" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a full-time intern to help support a busy Marketing and Strategy department. This internship will last for approximately 6 months. This is a terrific opportunity for graduate students or recent graduates who want to gain experience in publication advertising and marketing, product development, research, and strategy development.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting with marketing initiatives across multiple product lines including competitive analysis, new product development, general research, and content management.
- Support in list building exercises that allow and enable marking to communicate directly with specified buyer personas
- Measuring marketing campaign results, and developing reports and analysis in Excel.
- Apply business and analytical acumen to critically evaluate the information gathered from multiple sources, synthesize large volumes of data into actionable insights for decision making.
- Working with Salesforce.com CRM database to organize sales and marketing lead lists
- Helping to support the sales staff of the recruitment and corporate client advertising departments.
- Researching new sales leads for the advertising sales staff.
- A strong interest in marketing and the publishing industry.
- Superior writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- A strong interest in market research and product development.
- An analytical thinker with the ability to create and maintain marketing reports and presentations.
- The ability to be resourceful and handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Proficient and knowledgeable in Microsoft Office programs, particularly, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Sound organizational skills.
- The ability to be proactive and work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal skills.
The Chronicle offers interns a weekly stipend, a friendly work environment, and an attractive downtown Washington DC location within easy walking distance of both the Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom Metro stations. Please send a résumé and cover letter outlining your job experience and skills to at firstname.lastname@example.org.. No phone calls, please.
Want to make an impact in a fast-paced marketing department? Interested in higher-education and nonprofit?
The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy, the leading publications in the higher-education and nonprofit sectors, is in search of a Marketing Specialist to join our high-energy team. The Marketing Specialist will work under the direction of the Senior Marketing Manager to execute a wide array of marketing and promotional campaigns for The Chronicle of Higher Education, The Chronicle of Philanthropy, and associated product lines to fulfill The Chronicle's strategic marketing and promotional goals.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide campaign development, project management, execution, and analytical support to all marketing campaigns to support our Institutional Marketing, Corporate Marketing, and Chronicle Insights Marketing efforts.
- Work closely with the creative services, events, and product marketing teams to conceptualize and execute on compelling marketing campaigns to support above business channels.
- Coordinate the production of effective emails, landing pages, one sheets, print house ads, and web banner ads.
- Maintain project work schedules for multiple campaigns, working with internal clients to monitor and track progress to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Track performance of all campaign components including house ads, online banner ads, and newsletter ads, and incorporate results into regular reporting.
- Backup email marketing specialist in the production of e-mail marketing campaigns, including the creation of emails and landing pages, pulling list segments, deployment of e-mails, and tracking.
- Proof and edit materials for marketing department members as needed.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze campaign performance.
- Ability to effectively work under tight deadlines and manage projects independently.
- Ability to be an independent contributor when necessary but work well within a matrixed marketing team.
- Excellent communication - written and oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills are required.
- Ability to travel domestically up to five times per year.
- Knowledge/awareness of the higher education and nonprofit industries is a plus.
Education: Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, or equivalent field of study is preferred.
Experience: 2+ years of experience in marketing role, preferably in the higher education and/or nonprofit sectors
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Marketing Specialist" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
Are you looking to work for an organization with an outstanding reputation and products? Are you a creative problem-solver with exceptional marketing skills?
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking a talented Marketing Manager to assist with the development and management of content marketing, promotional and lead generation campaigns for our corporate, image and global clients. You'll be responsible for driving engagement and lead generation for sales - playing an integral role in the development of strategic sales tools.
What you'll do:
- Develop project briefs to relay key information to Marketing Communications team to achieve product and persona-level goals related to sponsorships and advertising.
- Assist with developing sales tools, proposals, and marketing materials for clients and product lines.
- Manage project schedules in conjunction with other departments (Sales, MarComm, Business Marketing, etc.) to ensure that sponsorship programs and marketing deliverables meet expected outcomes; deadlines are met, and programs are executed on time.
- Actively monitor performance of all client programs and work with MarComm team to optimize campaigns, as needed, to ensure desired (or contracted) response rates and lead goals/guarantees are delivered.
- Assist in developing strategic selling tools, including messaging and differentiated positioning; and sales training programs.
- Develop and maintain dashboards for marketing KPIs and sponsorship programs in order to successfully optimize performance of campaigns and deliver timely reporting to all stakeholders.
- Excellent writing ability; presentation, and organizational and project management skills.
- Experience in content marketing, lead generation, and sales tool development as well as copywriting, is highly desired.
- The ability to plan, develop and implement marketing initiatives in assigned areas including management of and follow-up on budget.
- Experience with developing and managing integrated sponsor campaigns.
- Knowledge of Salesforce and Omniture is preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years marketing experience.
- Publishing industry experience is preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Marketing Manager" in the subject heading.
The Chronicle is seeking a highly motivated Account Executive to drive the growth of Vitae Recruiter, the only search tool that reaches the most engaged audience of active and passive job seekers in higher education. This newly created position, based in Washington DC, will lead our expansion in the West Coast as part of a major strategic initiative.
As Account Executive for the West Coast, you will be responsible for building and closing a robust pipeline of new business opportunities for the Vitae Recruiter Tool. While building long-term client relationships, you will consult with prospective clients to help them reach their hiring objectives by leveraging the power of Vitae Recruiter. The AE is responsible for meeting or exceeding quarterly quotas and growing The Chronicle’s market share. Vitae (chroniclevitae.com/) is the fast-growing online community for higher education. It’s the place where faculty and administrators come for candid advice on academic careers and career development tools. Through Vitae Recruiter, clients will connect with members who visit Vitae for daily news and smart insights, professional networking, comprehensive job listings, and other tools that help them succeed in their career.
Location: Washington DC
Territory: West Coast
What you’ll do:
- Develop a full understanding of higher education structure, roles, and buying process.
- Learn about specific client needs.
- Manage the sales process from lead generation to account setup.
- Prospect and work on outbound and inbound leads to build a pipeline and create strong relationships.
- Consistently maintain a high level of outbound activity (calls/emails)
- Consult with clients to present Vitae Recruiter tool and recruitment solutions that will allow the company to significantly increase Vitae Recruiter sales.
- Develop and execute on a strategic sales plan for the territory.
- Listen and learn the needs of the market, sharing insights with product and marketing teams.
- Work directly with inside staff and through our sales information systems to identify revenue opportunities.
- Develop and expand opportunities to leverage purchases across academe.
- Close new business consistently at or above quota level.
Who you are:
- Three or more years experience in online product sales, with demonstrated and verifiable track record of meeting and exceeding revenue expectations.
- Startup metabolism and entrepreneurial background.
- Superior communication, presentation and relationship management skills.
- Articulate and professional presentation style.
- Consultative sales experience.
- Ability to travel for business as needed. Travel potential of 25 percent.
- Extensive experience working with Salesforce and other sales information systems.
- Bachelor’s degree and completion of formal sales training.
Preferred knowledge and experience:
- Selling recruiting, recruitment media, or human resources software.
- Thorough understanding of the higher education system and buying process.
Interested candidates should send a resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Account Executive” in the subject heading.