The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy strive to provide the highest quality news and information in print and online. Our greatest asset is the staff members who bring experience, expertise, and a commitment to quality and high journalistic standards. We seek to employ talented people whose contributions will carry forward our mission.
Along with a collegial and collaborative work environment, we offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits; including five weeks of vacation per year, a generous retirement plan, and comprehensive health benefits.
We encourage candidates to review our posted jobs below and submit a résumé for positions of interest. Every résumé that is submitted for an open position will be carefully reviewed. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking an Advertising Sales Associate to work for national publications in the higher education and non-profit industries. This person will sell digital and print advertising products to university and non-profit clients. The Advertising Sales Associate will need to identify, target, and sell to new customers through customer research while maintaining and increasing business from current customers.
Outstanding customer service and maximizing revenue in the assigned territory is paramount for this position.
What you'll do:
- Build relationships with customers, conduct needs assessments to identify their short and long-term activities and staffing needs. Provide value and service through identifying Chronicle products that meet customer needs.
- Be fully knowledgeable and conversant about all aspects of advertising in The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy, including ad placement, appropriate job categories, ad types and sizes, recruitment ads in print and online, image ads, banner ads, Employer Profiles, job alert e-mails, supplements, and all other recruitment-advertising services.
- Understand roles and successfully engage with both academic and administrative decision-makers and staff at both 2 year and 4 year universities and non-profit organizations.
- Meet and exceed established sales goals and KPIs.
- Provide superior customer service via telephone and e-mail correspondence to build revenue and maintain relationships with new and existing customers. Respond to customer needs and requests with a high level of professionalism, enthusiasm and knowledge to ensure complete customer satisfaction.
- Some face-to-face meetings with local non-profit organizations.
- 3+ years of inside sales experience or consultative phone-selling experience.
- 3+ years of experience in customer service or building customer relationships.
- Demonstrated success in building relationships with customers and serving in a consultative sales role.
- Strong grammar and proofreading skills are a must, as is attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Must be highly motivated and successful handling outbound sales activity - both email and phone calls.
- Knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office Suite and Salesforce
- Bachelor's degree is preferred.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Advertising Sales Associate" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle of Higher Education is hiring a highly motivated, energetic Marketing Manager. This position will cultivate relationships with The Chronicle's audiences and support the subscription and product marketing efforts. Joining the audience development team, the marketing manager will be responsible for developing product and direct marketing strategies to achieve forecast revenue goals, manage the execution of marketing campaigns, and oversee day-to-day renewal activities.
What you'll do:
- Partner with Managing Director and Director of Marketing & Digital Strategy on high-level strategy for Audience Development (including, but not limited to, print and online subscriptions, online products, and online registrations) with defined metrics and goals.
- Work with Director of Marketing & Digital Strategy to develop, manage, and implement subscription, webinar, and live event marketing efforts including the strategy and execution of, email campaigns, online promotions, direct mail, and social media.
- Oversee the day-to-day renewal activities for all subscriber sources; liaise with Fulfillment Department (ESP) to establish renewal and billing testing; review monthly activity, and monitor other significant retention-related metrics and data.
- Manage and develop circulation forecasts using Webber Model or other forecasting tools.
- Collaborate with editorial and technology teams to identify and execute on audience development projects and initiatives both on- and offline.
- Manage third party vendors used to support all new business and retention efforts and activities.
- Identify and assemble essential metrics needed to monitor online revenue, promotions, lead generation and lead nurturing and reader/visitor engagement.
- Act as the product manager for new product development, coordinating across departments and maximizing and capturing value accordingly.
Who you are:
- 3-5 years working in digital and/or direct marketing. Experience in media or nonprofits a plus. Working knowledge of digital marketing and analytic platforms, such as Eloqua, Marketo, Qualtrics, and Adobe Analytics, a plus
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing or other related field of study; or a combination of relevant education and experience
- Ability to build strong relationships with higher education and nonprofit audiences
- A solid understanding of integrated marketing, including email marketing, digital marketing, direct mail, and social media
- Excellent communication skills with a track record of working cross-functionally across departments
- Collaborative, flexible and collegial team player able to operate at all levels of the organization
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Marketing Manager" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. Our salaries are competitive and we offer excellent benefits, such as comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance, tuition reimbursement and 24 days of paid vacation.
A journalism-driven multimedia company, The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy provide award-winning news coverage to people on college campuses and to nonprofit organizations around the world. Vitae is The Chronicle's online career hub, which offers free career management tools, a powerful community, and the candid insights that academics need to build successful careers and fulfill their mission.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Chronicle is hiring a highly motivated, energetic Helpdesk Technician to join our Operations team. The Helpdesk Technician plays a significant role in supporting The Chronicle's operations through end-user support (Windows and Macintosh) as well as maintaining and upgrading our infrastructure. The technician will be responsible for hardware configurations, printer issues, and software configurations.
The technician will join a smart, hardworking, and fun operations team, which includes helpdesk and network and systems administration. This role reports directly to the Director, Information Systems.
What you'll do:
- Provide technical support to users for all Chronicle applications or related third-party products.
- Serve as lead technician on various projects.
- Set up and configure advanced workstations.
- Provide VoIP and Smartphone configuration and support.
- Create department-specific master images for quick and efficient deployment. This entails taking a new laptop and configuring it with essential software, testing all applications, applying updates and patches, troubleshooting any issues and making an "image" to be placed on new laptops.
- Test operating systems against applications before going into a production environment.
- Utilize helpdesk software to maintain status of all work, as well as keeping detailed notes on all tickets, making sure to include problem identified and resolution notes.
- Create documentation for software installations.
- Participate in the Operation's department weekend on-call rotation.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field is preferred.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. and offers excellent benefits including 24 paid vacation days a year.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Helpdesk" in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
We're seeking a talented editor to join our online learning team. As an editor, you will help curate, compile, write, and develop The Chronicle of Philanthropy’s online learning products that help nonprofit professionals develop their skills and advance important causes that improve people’s lives. This includes the webinar series, how-to articles on philanthropy.com, and other projects. You’ll lead webinar production, identify experts as assigned, and help identify, aggregate, produce, write, and edit content.
What you’ll do:
- Manage production of webinars to include planning, tracking, and production of webinar slides.
- Prepare timelines, content outlines for each session, and slide templates.
- Edit slides to identify content gaps and ensure content flows logically.
- Handle logistics of events – including setting up conference calls, invites, scheduling rehearsals.
- Aggregate online content into toolkits and other products.
- Identify potential new resources for assignment, e.g., reference guides, checklists, planning tools/templates, case studies, or contributed articles.
- Support live events behind-the-scenes: sort questions for Q&A, monitor time, and support host and guest experts as needed.
- Review the webinar recording. Send edits to webinar vendor, review corrections to revised file, obtain final copy of session.
- Write and edit how-to articles for philanthropy.com as assigned.
- Identify nonprofit experts as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years of experience working in communications, fundraising, public affairs, or public relations at a nonprofit.
- Ability to edit for clarity, logical flow, accuracy, and overall organization.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, with attention to logistical details and to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of nonprofit fundraising.
- Experience with Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Communications or public affairs experience desired.
- Experience with webinars, online learning, or professional development, a plus.
- Nonprofit experience is preferred.
- Reporting and production experience, a plus.
We'd love to hear from you. Send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com with "online learning editor" in the subject heading.
We're seeking a creative front-end developer to join a talented team of software engineers. You should be a passionate problem solver who applies their technical experience to create compelling and useful digital experiences for our main websites. You will work with the UI/UX designer and bridge the gap between graphical design and technical implementation, taking an active role on both sides and defining how the application looks as well as how it works.
What you'll do:
- Develop functional and appealing web- and mobile-based applications based on user-centric design and usability
- Create great User Interface working with business, UX, and technology teammates in a lean/scrum environment
- Combine design with the art of programming.
- Arrange and maintain an organized frontend development environment and processes
- Recommend new technologies and processes for complex software projects
- Evaluate new technologies and help to modernize our technical infrastructure
- Solid understanding of current internet technologies and frontend frameworks, such as jQuery, NPM, JSON, Node.js, VueJS, ReactJS or AngularJS.
- Experience with asynchronous request handling, partial page updates and AJAX.
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- Solid experience with frontend tools such as Gulp, Grunt, Brunch, Babel, Webpack, LESS or SASS.
- Development of responsive web development across multiple browsers and platforms.
- Good UI design experience and an eye for detail.
- Proficient in code versioning tools, preferably Git, GitHub, GitLab.
- Passionate commitment to designing great user experiences with strong visual skills in typography, iconography and use of color.
- Experience integrating 3rd party libraries.
- Good understanding of SEO principles and ensuring that application will adhere to them.
- Some experience with other programming languages such as PHP, and Python.
- Some experience with AWS services such as Lambda, Api gateway, DynamoDB, and ElasticSearch is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills to both technical and non-technical audiences.
We'd love to hear from you. Send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Front-end Developer" in the subject heading.
We're hiring a highly motivated, energetic Sales Associate. You'll join a talented sales team and contribute to growing revenue for The Chronicle's site license business by identifying prospects and building relationships with new and existing customers in both traditional and non-traditional markets. You'll report directly to the Sales Manager.
What you'll do:
- Identify potential clients in both traditional and non-traditional markets for The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy through regular research and prospecting activities using both internal and external sources
- Conduct new business outreach to potential clients through phone calls and e-mails
- Educate prospective clients on the value of institutional access to The Chronicle, and gathering intel on buying cycles, common objections, and pain points
- Support the Institutional Sales Manager in creating customized plans for sales territories
- Manage and respond to inbound requests from prospective clients
- Ensure the database contains accurate account details and contact information
- Support additional new business and audience development initiatives as needed
If you have these qualifications and want to grow in your sales career, then we'd love to hear from you.
- Bachelor's degree and 1-2 years' relevant experience in business development or sales support.
- Superior communication skills and strong relationship-building acumen
- Proven success prospecting and making outbound sales calls
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task and prioritize projects
- Experience with a CRM system such as Salesforce.com preferred
Send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Sales Associate" in the subject heading.