The President’s View - Supporting Today’s Students
Many colleges have pledged to support first-generation students. What does it take to do that from the president’s viewpoint?
Join Chronicle senior editor, Alex C. Kafka as he talks with a unique group of college presidents – those who were the first in their own families to attend college. The session, which will be co-hosted by Freeman A. Hrabowski III, president of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, will offer a wide-ranging discussion of leadership experiences and how they relate to today’s students. Topics will include:
- The leaders’ perspectives on overcoming social and academic obstacles and building personal resilience.
- The role of the college president in supporting first-generation students.
- Comparing the changing experiences of college students.
- Alexander C. Kafka, a senior editor at The Chronicle
- Freeman A. Hrabowski III, president of the University of Maryland-Baltimore County
- James P. Clements, president of Clemson University
- Daisy Cocco De Filippis, president of Eugenio María de Hostos Community College
- Ivy R. Taylor, president of Rust College
- Jack Thomas, president of Central State University
With Support From Ascendium.