The Strategy Symposium: A Blueprint for Higher Education Trustees
May 29-31, 2024 | Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
The Strategy Symposium: A Blueprint for Higher Education Trustees
Now more than ever, trustees need clarity on how to support the strategic direction of their institutions. While board members bring a wealth of experience and expertise in their fields, it is often challenging for them to contribute meaningfully without a background in higher-education planning and processes.
To help navigate the current tumultuous landscape, The Chronicle of Higher Education and the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges (AGB) are partnering to offer the first of its kind forum for board members to advance their strategic thinking. The Strategy Symposium will equip board members to help their colleges and universities build responsive strategies and redesign higher education for the future. In this exclusive and intimate setting, our Symposium participants will dive deep into the high-level topics impacting institutional strategy, including trends and innovations across the higher-ed landscape, institutional mission and values, and market position, with the top experts in the industry.
This robust learning experience will take place against the beautiful backdrop of sunny Puerto Rico. Attendance to The Strategy Symposium is open to Trustees, Presidents, and designates of the President.
For inquiries about the program or help with registration, reach out to email@example.com.
At A Glance
In a concentrated period of time, and guided by AGB’s experts including renowned higher-education strategist Paul N. Friga, individual trustees from all higher-ed sectors will:
- Learn more about the forces, trends, and innovative developments affecting higher education and the higher-ed business model.
- Identify sector-specific responses to a changing higher-education landscape that can be brought back to the board room to help guide future strategic conversations.
- Understand how to work with fellow trustees, campus leaders, and other constituents to create a truly innovative and creative institutional roadmap for the future.
With our program, you will receive exclusive networking opportunities with fellow trustees at a range of institutions, unrivaled access to focused, strategic conversations about your role on the board, and supplemental Chronicle content.
Your registration includes:
- A 2-night stay in the Hyatt Regency Grand Reserve in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
- 14 hours of in-depth, strategy-focused programming, led by experts including Paul Friga
- Access to networking opportunities with expert strategists and a cohort of peer board members
- An AGB digital certificate of completion, which provides a digital certificate and badge that enables you to publicly demonstrate and validate your completion of the Strategy Symposium.
- Early-Bird Registration (Through January 19, 2024): $3,900 per registrant
- Standard Registration (Starting January 20, 2024): $4,900 per registrant
- 3+1 Group Registration: Four registrations from the same institution for the price of three
The evening will feature an intimate opening reception for attendees and program facilitators, where they’ll hear about exciting innovations impacting higher ed, while enjoying time to network with peers.
Throughout the course of the program sessions, we will cover these topics and more:
- Unpacking mission, vision, values, culture, and context, with a goal of deepening awareness of the unique aspects of higher-education governance and board roles and responsibilities in shaping strategy.
- Developing a comprehensive understanding of the top strategic issues, forces, and trends impacting higher ed.
- Enhancing understanding and knowledge of institutional strengths, opportunities, weaknesses, and threats.
- Understanding important areas for strategic initiative development including MAP (mergers, affiliations, partnerships), Student Success, Digital Transformation, and Revenue and Market Position.
Meals and Activities
Participants will be treated to breakfast, lunch, and an evening dinner reception, with high-level speakers and networking opportunities throughout. These will include:
- Breakfast networking time to get to know fellow participants and program leaders
- Lunchtime Q&A with featured keynote speakers Marjorie Hass, president of the Council of Independent Colleges, and Mark Becker, president of the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities, moderated by Executive Editor Liz McMillen
- Evening reception with live local entertainment
Throughout the course of the morning, we will cover these topics and more:
- Deepening knowledge about higher-education financials and the core components of the business model.
- Discussing the board’s role in supporting strategic resource allocation and how to support the implementation of strategic initiatives by asking the right questions.
- Exploring how to empower and support leadership to implement change.
Meals and Activities
Participants will be treated to breakfast and lunch, with high-level speakers and networking opportunities throughout.
The Hyatt Regency Grand Reserve is nestled against the beautiful El Yunque rainforest. Steps away from the beach, this family-friendly resort will serve as the backdrop for a unique blend of business, leisure, and relaxation.
The Hyatt Regency Grand Reserve Puerto Rico offers:
- Luxurious Accommodations: Relax in a luxurious Garden View room with a private balcony and tropical garden view.
- Golf & Wellness: Unwind on their championship golf course, rejuvenate at the spa, and make use of our state-of-the-art fitness facilities.
- Culinary Delights: Guaranteed to satisfy your palate at the on-site restaurants offering a variety of delectable options.
- Tropical Paradise: Explore the breathtaking beauty of Puerto Rico, from pristine beaches to lush rainforests.
The Strategy Symposium registration includes premium accommodations in a charming Garden View room to ensure you have a restful night. Each Garden View room includes beautiful tropical garden views from the balcony of a 520-square-foot room featuring plush bed(s).
We understand that your preferences matter, and that is why we offer you the flexibility to enhance your stay by upgrading your room. If an attendee desires an ocean view, oceanfront, or additional amenities, the Hyatt Regency Grand Reserve Puerto Rico has you covered!
To upgrade, simply call the resort and request the upgrade. Share your upgrade preference, and you will only be responsible for covering the price difference between the Garden View room and the upgraded option. This is an excellent way to tailor your stay to your liking and make your experience even more memorable.
Attendees will receive specific room confirmations and other attendance information from firstname.lastname@example.org closer to the event date.
Attendees will be responsible for their travel to, from, and within Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico is accessible from major international airports, making it incredibly convenient for travelers. You can fly directly to San Juan, Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU), which is the main gateway to the island. This airport is only 23 miles from the Hyatt Regency Grand Reserve.
Shuttle service is not offered by Hyatt Regency Grand Reserve Puerto Rico.
Whether you’re seeking a tranquil retreat or craving thrilling adventures, Río Grande has something to offer. This charming town, renowned as the gateway to the iconic El Yunque rainforest, showcases a picturesque blend of lush greens and azure blues, presenting panoramic vistas of Puerto Rico’s finest features.
Embrace a spectrum of high-octane experiences in this stunning municipality, from invigorating hikes, canyoneering, and rappelling to chasing waterfalls and relaxing by the riverside. Maximize your time in this idyllic destination by filling your itinerary with heart-pounding activities.
Extend your stay in Puerto Rico for the weekend, and take this special opportunity to visit:
- They Hyatt Regency Grand Reserve Puerto Rico’s championship golf course
- Old Town San Juan
- El Yunque National Forest
- Beautiful beaches in Vieques and Culebra
Thank you for the opportunity to engage with other trustees and the AGB team – it was great to get to work with others using group exercises to get a clearer sense of how to help shape our vision and strategy. The exercises were practical, and the planning is something I can bring back so I can provide better input to our board’s work.
Being able to act on the latest thinking in higher education strategy is the main reason I attend AGB events. It’s more than just learning – it’s understanding how to develop and implement effective strategies for my institution in today’s incredibly complex environment. Plus, I really appreciate being able to share ideas with other trustees in similar situations.
Our board is dealing with so many issues, it’s hard to stay out of the weeds, even when we know strategy is job #1. The strategy session our small group of trustees attended was pivotal in helping us create an action plan for revising our university’s strategic plan.